Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: interleaved after a storm  (Read 1266 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
interleaved after a storm
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »

Just a heads up guys, it seems the wide area event detection isnt what it used to be, if it even still exists, Leicester has unusually had some storms this early in summer, and I got interleaved as a result of it.

As before the ES never reached the old threshold, so also further evidence that DLM has changed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: interleaved after a storm
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »

Having read about the recent storms in Leicester I was wondering if you might have been affected . . .

Now I know.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »

Yeah, I've had the same happen. Had 3 storms pass close by yesterday, probably within 5 miles of my location. Was plenty of lightning with one of them, could see in the 15 min stats that it was between 100-200 ES for the period(s). I did think that DLM would spare me due to wide area event detection but, nope.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:53:39 PM by Jon21 »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »

The wide area detection has never worked for me.  I'm not sure it ever existed.  Yesterday was quite low ES even with the thunder/lightning but today it has been quite bad with ES even without any sign of thunder.lightning. still very muggy though. Hopefully not bad enough for an even dealer level of interleaving.  I'll find out in the morning when I check stats.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:58 AM »

I'm not interleaved, but my banding has gone from 73.9Mbit to 67Mbit  :'( after the recent storms.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »

I noticed tremendous lightning storms in South Lancs, Stafford to Northampton and the region in and to the north of Birmingham and near Bath. There have been a few strikes in the mainland of Scotland in the Central Highlands between Perth and Fort William. Nothing this far west up here though.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 03:32:09 AM »

already back on fast path, no reset was requested.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:46:08 AM »

already back on fast path, no reset was requested.
No chance of my line managing to change to fastpath that quickly. 

If you have stats can you give number of days interleaved was applied and the number of ES you had over that period?

Just for my sanity confirm you are (still) on ECI cab?

Thanks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »

I am on ECI, I think the reason it was so quick is that I had a DLM reset last time, so this was the first one again, making it super quick.  Stats are in my sig, including historical.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »

I do think there is more to when interleaving is removed than just ES.  Back in the day waiting 3 days used to work for me on the very rare occasion I ended interleaved.  Now I am lucky to have it removed after 10 days and that is with very low ES. I'll report back if I notice when I am fast pathed.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »

I've always been convinced (and still am) that DLM looks at FEC numbers when deciding wether to remove Interleaving.

I've seen many lines weigh single digit ES per day and DLM refuses to return the line to fastpath.
As soon as a cap is applied to the sync speed and FEC numbers drop significantly DLM enables fastpath.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 10:23:55 PM »

possible, my cap is still on but i have lost about 4-5 meg attainable since it was originally applied and when i got interleaved i didnt get much of a snrm boost from it, but maybe it was enough.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 11:32:12 PM »

I'm not interleaved, but my banding has gone from 73.9Mbit to 67Mbit  :'( after the recent storms.

That was unexpected,  now connected at 79.995Mbit with 1.9dB SNR.  It seems all banding has been removed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:03:21 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything