Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTP Install with Nokia ONT - Pictures Enclosed  (Read 9089 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Install with Nokia ONT - Pictures Enclosed
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2020, 12:48:51 AM »

Wonder why they didn't go with a socket on the wall, like an optical master socket as that would make it a lot safer for the customer to swap things out?  Some of the alt-nets in the UK let you do a self install from the kerbside into your own home, so it's possible.

Probably because they don't want the end user thinking they can just plug/unplug the ONT all the time, such as when cleaning the house.  Do that a few times and you'd trash the fibre.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »

Thanks. My ping did drop by about half compared to my FTTC connection. I’m sure it was CarlT that said in a post before that once your onto ultra fast then faster speeds don’t seem as profound. I do think that is true. It is great the bandwidth and the upload is great for my cloud backups running over night.

Depends entirely on your usage.  As someone who downloads games quite regularly, sitting waiting an hour for that when any YouTube or streaming I do while waiting slows it down, is pretty darn profound.

Its just the same as when doing any upgrade, you quickly forget what it was like before but try going back and you'll soon notice how profound it was.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2020, 03:58:36 AM »

Try going back to 10 Mbps / 1.6 Mbps upstream, or 2.5 Mbps downstream / 0.4 Mbps upstream. No, what about 0.5 / 0.5 Mbps, or 49 kbps / 33 kbps. How did we survive in the days of dial-up? I got things done back then, browsed the web, used email, even watched streaming video in very small windows and at extremely bad quality due to the very heavy compression.

busterboy

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »

Try going back to 2.5 Mbps downstream / 0.4 Mbps upstream.

I'm still there sadly. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything