Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with understand the BT Broadband Availability Results and other questions  (Read 1040 times)

DssR

• Just arrived

Hi , I need some help due to a house purchase.

If I was to move to an area on a Market 1 (A) exchange where BT Wholesale is the sole provider of broadband services. Does that still allow me to switch between BT, Plusnet and EE?

and...

On the broadband availability results for the Cabinet I would be connected to, it says:

VDSL Range A (Clean)       26.1 (High)   18 (Low) for Downstream :   1.3 (High)    1.1 (Low) for Upstream
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 25.6  (High)   15 (Low) for Downstream :   1.3 (High)    1 (Low) for Upstream

Then 

Observed Speeds

Down 5.8 (VDSR)   9.72 (ADSR)
Up     0.79 (VDSR)  0.45 (ADSR)

Two ISP providers (BT and Plusnet - assuming I can get Plusnet) claim a 'Minimum Guaranteed Speed 15.2Mb'

How does that work with the observed speed????

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

It would allow you to use any ISP that uses OpenReach/BT Wholesale - not just BT Retail group members.

I think the observed speeds are because the current owner hasn't upgraded to FTTC (i.e. still on ADSL). My observed speeds have a column heading of VDSL.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

DssR

• Just arrived

It would allow you to use any ISP that uses OpenReach/BT Wholesale - not just BT Retail group members.

I think the observed speeds are because the current owner hasn't upgraded to FTTC (i.e. still on ADSL). My observed speeds have a column heading of VDSL.

It has no LLU services, so BT Wholesale are the sole providers, which I assume also means EE and Plusnet ??? https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMWHAPL

With regards the observed speeds: Would a speed for VDSL show up if the line was ADSL and vice versa ?

ktz392837

• Reg Member

Remember a minimum guaranteed speed does not override the laws of physics if the line can only do XMbs and normal fixes do not give any improvement all the guarantee means is you can leave for free ie. no internet or put up with XMBs!

I may be being overall cautious but if it was me that is not a great speed estimate. I certainly wouldn't be spending mega bucks on a house with only that estimate.

If you know some phone numbers of other properties nearby (businesses?) try them in the checker for observed speeds to at least see if you can fall lucky with some actual fttc speeds and even then its not really a great indication of your line.

DssR

• Just arrived

Remember a minimum guaranteed speed does not override the laws of physics if the line can only do XMbs and normal fixes do not give any improvement all the guarantee means is you can leave for free ie. no internet or put up with XMBs!

I may be being overall cautious but if it was me that is not a great speed estimate. I certainly wouldn't be spending mega bucks on a house with only that estimate.

If you know some phone numbers of other properties nearby (businesses?) try them in the checker for observed speeds to at least see if you can fall lucky with some actual fttc speeds and even then its not really a great indication of your line.

I've found another on the same cabinet showing an observed VDSL speed of 15, but nothing for ADSL. I can live with 11, but anything under 9 is pushing it. I work from home and have done for many years on 6.

I'm assuming that observed maximum downstream, is exactly that : the most I would get ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

It has no LLU services, so BT Wholesale are the sole providers, which I assume also means EE and Plusnet ??? https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMWHAPL

Wrong! You don't understand the difference between BT Wholesale and BT Retail. There are a huge number of ISPs using BT Wholesale.

For example I'm on Andrews and Arnold using a BT connection.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

I'm assuming that observed maximum downstream, is exactly that : the most I would get ?

It probably is, but you likely don't know what modem the current occupier is using or the state of the internal wiring, either of which can make a huge difference.

With respect to 'Market 1 (A)'  I think my exchange is that and it means that although I can get a wide range of ISPs I can't get their headline cheap deals because of no LLU at the exchange.
:)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I've found another on the same cabinet showing an observed VDSL speed of 15, but nothing for ADSL. I can live with 11, but anything under 9 is pushing it.
Another on the same cabinet is no indication of what you might get. The major factor is how far you are from the cabinet. I get the full 80Mbps sync - but they dug up the pavement outside my house to power the cabinet. Others on my cabinet are only getting sub 20. Even looking at the speed the next door neighbour gets can be misleading if his phone line takes a different route.

DssR

• Just arrived

I can't even find a cabinet !!  All I know is it is cab No:5. The road is full of overhead telegraph poles with no sign of a roadside cab. The exchange is anywhere between 1-2 miles away. I have googled the route so many ways and the elusive cab cannot be found.  :(

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Some ISPs that I think would be available to you: Vodaphone, Fastnet, icUK.net, StreamNetworks, TrunkNetworks, iDNet, Timico, Cloudscape, Amatis, Uno, Zen, Origin, Vodaphone, DirectSave Telecom, Exascale.

This is not a recommendation of any of them (in fact some I would warn against) and some I've never heard of.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I can't even find a cabinet !!  All I know is it is cab No:5. The road is full of overhead telegraph poles with no sign of a roadside cab. The exchange is anywhere between 1-2 miles away. I have googled the route so many ways and the elusive cab cannot be found.  :(

Does this help?

DssR

• Just arrived

Does this help?

It does, but I cant find it on the ground. If that is its location, then its about 300 metres from the property. I'm googling along the road as we speak lol

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I tried that - the Google images are dated 2011!

DssR

• Just arrived

I tried that - the Google images are dated 2011!

I should know better, I really should!!!

PhilipD

• Reg Member

Hi

I would echo what others have said, those speed estimates are low.  Whilst the download speed may not be too bad, the upload speed is pretty poor.  The quality of video calls is likely to be bordering on poor or difficult/unreliable, and anytime you want to send large files anywhere these are going to take quite a time.

What speeds do you have now?

I personally would not be buying or moving to a house that poorly served by broadband given the need to work from home, and if you have a family all trying to do things on that connection there could be conflict  ::)

Other options though might be to go with a 4G modem, have you checked mobile phone coverage?

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:23:35 AM by PhilipD »
Pages: [1] 2

anything