Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Questions re. QoS  (Read 854 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Questions re. QoS
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »

[OFF TOPIC] Moderator, might want to split this off.

[Moderator note: Weaver's questions about QoS, split off from another topic.]

Q1. Could someone tell me about QoS in a straight modem ? (Including a modem-router set in modem-only mode.) This is what, observance of L2 priority markings ? You would need something that L2-marks ethernet PDUs - be it the original sending machine or a router - in order to realise any benefit. If a host doesn’t L2-mark the ethernet PDUs that it sends, then the only way I can see any benefit being realised is if the router can L2-mark PDUs going out according to some general heuristic rules which involve snooping at L3 or L4; eg. spotting TCP ACKs and L2- and also possibly L3-marking those PDUs as higher priority, or else perhaps involves spotting certain TCP/UDP port values.

Q2. Does QoS even work in a straight modem that is not acting as a router? To be able to work, the modem would have to do deep PDU inspection- looking into PPPoE, PPP, IPv4/v6, then say TCP or UDP headers. Is that right?

I’m also wondering if this might be one of the many features/options/settings that you can play with on a modem-router even when it’s in straight modem mode yet despite the fact that the features appear to be available according to the UI, they don’t actually work at all while in straight modem mode.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Questions re. QoS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »

AFAIK all you can do in straight modem mode is limit the throughput, which is what the HG612 did in its default config.  This reduces bufferbloat by keeping the data flow below the upload rate of your connection.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »

Is that done by dropping packets then in the HG612?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:50:57 AM »

BT SIN 498 section 2.2.3 describes how the Openreach FTTC modems used the VLAN PCP field to prioritise packets.

Different modems may or may not do different things, I'm not sure trying to talk about modems in general will achieve much.

anything