Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Win 10 Wierd Mouse Action  (Read 5073 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Win 10 Wierd Mouse Action
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »

Win 10 Home, still on 1909, avoiding 2004 update just yet.
Ryzen 5 Desktop PC, wireless mouse & keyboard.

Since this afternoon and for no apparent reason experiencing very wierd mouse action, quite hard to explain.
On any open window that involves vertical scrolling, placing mouse cursor on window causes immediate scrolling to bottom.
Window can be dragged or scrolled with mouse wheel upwards again but won't stay there while cursor remains within the window.

Have substituted a wired mouse, diabling the wireless mouse, still the same.
Plays havoc with programs such as DSLStats or my Swann CCTV monitoring utility, trying to select any particulat tab is virtually impossible.
Tried re-booting etc, no joy.

No Win updates recorded for quite a few days, nothing new installed, My Bit Defender Internet Security and  Malwarebytes utilities all fully up to date and no intrusions recorded.

Really, really annoying, anyone seen anything similar or can suggest a fix ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Win 10 Wierd Mouse Action
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »

I had an issue some time ago where the mouse pointer would randomly jump around the screen sometimes clicking as it did so, turns out windows was incorrectly recognising something as a mouse.

Mine was detected as a Serial Ballpoint Mouse, check to see if you have one in device manager.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/52kxg2/disable_serial_ballpoint_mouse_incorrectly/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9226082/device-misdetected-as-serial-mouse

I don't have any GPS stuff in my PC, so no idea what was causing it, but the info in the above link fixed it for me, but I didn't have any scrolling issues, but worth a shot.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »

What you have posted is a very clear description of what happens when you click the scroll wheel. The question is why it it thinks you've clicked the wheel.

When I actually do a middle click, clicking anywhere in the window (that isn't a clickable object or link) stops the scrolling.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »

Thanks to both for the interest and suggestions.

@jelv:
Regarding clicking the scroll wheel, this still works on the wired mouse bringing up the circular up/down icon and invoking scrolling action, does not currently work on the wireless mouse.
This action appears to behaves normally on the wired mouse anyway and although not working on the wireless mouse, completely disabling this does not cure the issue.

@Ronski:
Have read the 2 references supplied, not exactly my symptoms but possibly relevant.
Checked the registery entry mentioned and as expected this value is still set at the default value of 3.

Will try to explain my symptoms in more detail.
As well as the scrolling issues any open window such as DSLStats opened within a VNC Viewer window which has selection or pull down tabs, hovering the mouse cursor over any tab (before actually selecting) causes a rapid transition through all the tabs which only stops when the mouse cursor is moved away to a clear screen area making it  impossible to accurately select any tab.
Yet, selecting file explorer within the same VNC viewer window behaves completely to expectation with respect to mouse operation.

I get the same effect with my Swann CCTV PC viewer utility making it impossible to select any of the pull down options, this is where I first noticed the anomaly yesterday.

In Win device manager I have 2 HID-compliant mouse entries for some reason, appear identical, a third entry appears when I plug in my USB wired mouse.
Have tried deleting both mouse entries, having to then plug in the USB mouse to exit, on re-booting both "HID-complient mouse" entries have re-appeared.

My desktop PC was running all day yesterday when the anomaly first presented.
No Win updates or otherwise logged, I always configure updates to notify before installing where possible.
No changes made or new programs installed, PC was unattended most of the day.

Now, even more strange, booted up this morning and mouse action is completely normal !

Wondering if I should perform the registery edit as suggested and/or try to get rid of one of the "HID-complient mouse" entries ?
Perhaps just leave things alone while all well ? 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »

If it's now working OK I'd leave it alone and see how it goes.

I do only have one HID Compliant mouse listed.

Do you by chance have any software installed that helps with scrolling various windows? Some older programs do not scroll when you roll the mouse wheel, I have in the past installed software to enable this to work, just wondered if you'd done the same and it was playing up.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »

If it's now working OK I'd leave it alone and see how it goes.
Yes, you are probably correct.
Only problem with unexplained occurances without establing a cause is that they are likely to return at some stage.

I do only have one HID Compliant mouse listed.
Same here with my other two Win 10 system PC's, can't explain why I have two listings.
As reported previously, if I delete both they both return at next re-boot.

Do you by chance have any software installed that helps with scrolling various windows? Some older programs do not scroll when you roll the mouse wheel, I have in the past installed software to enable this to work, just wondered if you'd done the same and it was playing up.
No, nothing of that nature ever required or installed.

Time will tell if the issue returns.  :fingers:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »

Rather strange coincidence, my jumpy mouse problem reappeared today - probably due to the W10 update to 2004 yesterday (major updates usually trigger it), but it was fine after that and first thing this morning, at least my memory was refreshed on how to fix it.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »

I had a similar problem last week with VNC. The client is RealVNC, the server TigerVNC. My internet connection glitched and I needed to reconnect VPN. The open programs in VNC behaved strangely with both keyboard and mouse. It was as if the shift key was permanently pressed. The Linux process for vncconfig was showing as defunct. I tried kill with increasing strength but as expected it persisted. Nevertheless a fresh vncconfig got me going again.

The OP's problem is most likely to be in the mouse configuration as suggested by others. However it may be worth checking the keyboard, both physically and its driver. Plug another in if you have one around.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »

The wireless keyboard and mouse used to be a pair until a few months ago when I upgraded to a better cordless mouse, the old mouse had a visable IR LED & on/off switch, I frequently forgot to switch off and it was "eating" batteries, the new mouse came with it's own USB re/tx which I had to use while retaining the original keyboard USB re/tx unit also.
Never had any issues with this setup.

Had thought that the keyboard might somehow be connected to the issue experienced yesterday and did substitute a wired item also removing the associated USB re/tx interface unit, did not cure the issue at the time.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »

The wireless keyboard and mouse used to be a pair until a few months ago when I upgraded to a better cordless mouse, the old mouse had a visable IR LED & on/off switch, I frequently forgot to switch off and it was "eating" batteries, the new mouse came with it's own USB re/tx which I had to use while retaining the original keyboard USB re/tx unit also.
Never had any issues with this setup.

Had thought that the keyboard might somehow be connected to the issue experienced yesterday and did substitute a wired item also removing the associated USB re/tx interface unit, did not cure the issue at the time.

I have a Logitech M720 and hardly ever remember to turn it off, I just use rechargeable batteries so its largely a none issue.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »

Code: [Select]
I have a Logitech M720 and hardly ever remember to turn it off, I just use rechargeable batteries so its largely a none issue.
My previous wireless mouse was very old and had a very visable LED which never turned off (other than the off switch) hence the high battery consumption.
Modern wireless "mice" appear to operate above the visable spectrum, incorporate non-activity power saving sleep mode and don't usually need an on/off switch, 2 X AA's seem to last for ever.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »

An old thread I know but by way of a belated update.

Out of the blue and for no obvious reason, the anomaly returned today on my Win 10 Ryzen-5 desktop PC, same hardware as previous, only major changes was an upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with a complete fresh install at the end of last year.

Found records on various Win forums of the same occurance and one suggested solution produced an instant cure, removal and re-insertion of the mouse USB wireless transceiver, did not require a re-boot or power cycle.
I appreciate my setup is some what unusual having two wireless transceivers, one for the mouse and one for the keyboard, however, other recorded instances from the forums using the normal single mouse/KB single transceiver setup have still recorded the same issue.

Don't believe I have recorded this fix to date which certainly has worked for me today, think I may have adopted this solution on the original occurance but forgot the details and not documented, hopefully will be of use to forum patrons who might experience this quite rare anomaly.     

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »

You're not alone in having two transceivers, I have both a Rii keyboard/touchpad and an Anker wireless mouse plugged in next to each other. 

Not had any problems with that combination except had to swap them around as the mouse is more prone to having bad reception, but makes sense as it will be moving more data.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 11:41:20 PM »

Yes, so not a unique setup by any means, strange indeed, only the second occurance, first in June 2020 as per first post in this thread.

Can't attribute any trigger event to the occurance today, was messing about with code on my RPi Pico via "Thonny" when first noticed, Micro Python code listing kept scrolling to the bottom whenever the mouse cursor was present in the window, almost as if the mouse "auto scroll" operation had been activated but with no control of the scrolling!

Still, hopefully a quick fix for any future occurances as it's really annoying when it happens and makes virtually any window operation very difficult.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »

I've had similar mouse problems, turned out to be dust across the laser window. Mouse mats with dark/light areas cause havoc with laser tracking.
Don't overlook graphics drivers.. now that Windows 10 will automagically ??? try out some new ones on you.
Have you done sfc /scannow ? if you have then I would do a install repair.

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

anything