Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612/VMG8324: I am going insane trying to factory reset and login!?.  (Read 3121 times)

randomlyalex

• Just arrived

Tldr; I just want a modem that will bridge for the time being i'm not asking miracles, so regarding either of these modems what are my options? Can anyone help!?

HG612 seems half dead, it lights up, plays the game but i don't know how i'm meant to connect. Bought it from a reputable dealer, I believe its good, and I believe its my fault.

vmg8324, factoryresets and works as expected but I cant login, so it there another more involved reset method, tftp, internal serial, something I should try?

Backstory: I have had sky FTTC VDSL2 for a whilte since I moved in a new place, and i've been trying to achieve a way in which I can run pfsense as a router again the way i used to.

The router sky gave me was naturally bull****, thats understandable.

I had an old bt homehub5 that i was using for openWRT back in the day, turns out I can use that as a modem, router and wifi, but not split it out easy into and out of the pfsense box.  As i need to use it as a dumbAP for now.

First: I bought a HG612 3B cheap.  I don't seem to be able to get anything out of it, am I mad?

I'm trying to reset and connect to it, not even unlock or anything mad yet.
https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612hacking.htm

Followed the reset procedure, and set my ip as 192.168.1.100, but I can't get a login page on LAN2?

Second: I saw a cheap zyxel vmg8324-b10a on ebay.  Bought that, reset it, held the button for 30-60 seconds watched it do its dance, and eventually quiet down.  I can connect to this bad boy, I get the login screen, but no combination of default user/password work.  What am I missing?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:31:20 PM by randomlyalex »

mrk26

• Reg Member

When you tried to connect to hg612 did you check what's gateway in network properties? Try also option with automatically assigned IP and check for gateway.

randomlyalex

• Just arrived

HG612:
In xbuntu:
Method: Manual
IP Assigned as 192.168.1.100
netmask: 24 (same as 255.255.255.0)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (and tried empty)

If I browse (in chromium) to 192.168.1.1, it just loads and loads, doesn't get instantly rejected.

If I set Method as Auto DHCP I get assigned 192.168.1.100 (or does xbuntu just not change it? and gateway 192.168.1.255.

Having checked after a restart it doesnt assign correctly \

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:01:40 AM by randomlyalex »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

Have you been back to the eBay seller for the 8324, as if they advertised it as working (or even 'used' in eBay speak) and it's locked then you have a valid 'item not as described' case.
I assume you've tried the standard 'admin/1234' and 'admin/password' combinations?

I've only played with a single HG612 and it did behave as per the instructions you have linked to so I'm not sure what is happening there.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:21:27 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

First: I bought a HG612 3B cheap.  I don't seem to be able to get anything out of it, am I mad?

I'm trying to reset and connect to it, not even unlock or anything mad yet.

Followed the reset procedure, and set my ip as 192.168.1.100, but I can't get a login page on LAN2?

If you haven't unlocked it yet, there won't be a UI enabled, that's why the first instruction on that page is to unlock the modem.

Locked it will only work as a bridge passing WAN traffic over LAN1, LAN2 is disabled and usually has a sticker over it saying unused.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:44:03 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

If you haven't unlocked it yet, there won't be a UI enabled, that's why the first instruction on that page is to unlock the modem.

Locked it will only work as a bridge passing WAN traffic over LAN1, LAN2 is disabled and usually has a sticker over it saying unused.

I believe @randomlyalex can't even get to the firmware loading page, and when I've had issues like this it's usually because I've wrongly setup my static IP address.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

It is the following that Randomlyalex said which doesn't sound like the correct procedure is being followed

"I'm trying to reset and connect to it, not even unlock or anything mad yet.

Followed the reset procedure, and set my ip as 192.168.1.100, but I can't get a login page on LAN2?"

In the unlocked state you will never connect or get a login page whatever resets you perform as there is no user interface. The firmware loading page has to be accessed first in order to update the firmware. This needs the reset button to be held in and then apply power to the modem as described in the instructions. I have unlocked a couple of modems with no particular problems. If the firmware update page cannot be accessed then the modem must be faulty.

randomlyalex

• Just arrived

Have you been back to the eBay seller for the 8324, as if they advertised it as working (or even 'used' in eBay speak) and it's locked then you have a valid 'item not as described' case.
I assume you've tried the standard 'admin/1234' and 'admin/password' combinations?

I've only played with a single HG612 and it did behave as per the instructions you have linked to so I'm not sure what is happening there.

Yeah in their defence they said they'd pulled it from a live environment, it boots but they cant login.  I can't send it back it does everything they promised.

So heres a video of me resetting it and directly trying to login and failing, anything obvious i'm doing wrong? 
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFM2H-U2yFY[/youtube]

I've tried the classic 30/30/30 too, just in case but nothing seems to give.

I just find it odd that I dont seem to be able to reset both the HG612 AND the Vmg8324 😂😂

randomlyalex

• Just arrived

And for completeness here is my fail at the HG612

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeorKuvD3I[/youtube]

Can't access its login page 192.168.1.1 after a 30/30/30 reset.  The lights suggest its working mind?!

Any ideas on either here.

The HG612 came from mymemory, i sent on back as it acted exactly the same, which leads me to believe its me that's the problem.  Bought acheap 8324 off ebay, and either i'm having the worst run of luck, or i suck.  You decide?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

I just find it odd that I dont seem to be able to reset both the HG612 AND the Vmg8324 😂😂

Did you unlock the HG612?  Factory resetting it wont be helpful if its ALREADY running at Openreach factory settings, which doesn't have a UI in the firmware.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: HG612/VMG8324: I am going insane trying to factory reset and login!?.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »

As I said in my previous post the first thing that you have to do is access the firmware upload page to install the unlocked firmware. Until you have done that resets will do nothing.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: HG612/VMG8324: I am going insane trying to factory reset and login!?.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »

I'm sure you've done this, but I always close and reopen my browser after changing an IP setting as I've found they don't always pick up the change in an open session.

anything