Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cleaning up my drawers  (Read 1759 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Cleaning up my drawers
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »

Of course a lot of duplicates over the decades, so i'll need to decide what is dross to dump.
Some USB leads have chokes, so is there any general benefit in retaining those?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Cleaning up my drawers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »

so i'll need to decide what is dross to dump.
www.freecycle.org is your friend to get rid of stuff.

What's your junk is another person gold  ;)

Apply social distancing and they collect from your house.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »

i don't think you should be advocating that people come to your house to collect anything.
you should still be limiting who you come into contact with (even at 2m distancing).
it is irresponbile to invite people over to collect items you no longer need.

digbey

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »

You can spend time outdoors, including private gardens and other outdoor spaces, in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

Getting back on topic... Yes USB cables with chokes are still used, I have a Canon scanner Lide 110 which uses them.
Chokes neutralise stray EMI/RFI/EMC frequency signals within the cable.
I'm a bit of a hoarder so have piles of "stuff" everywhere  :-[
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 07:25:28 PM »

You can spend time outdoors, including private gardens and other outdoor spaces, in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

that would be mis-using the guidelines IMO.
if you think we are at that stage then you need to think about it a little more.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 07:31:59 PM »

Decided to just make it all neat and dump in shoe boxes by type, and forget until needed.:)

digbey

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »

that would be mis-using the guidelines IMO.
if you think we are at that stage then you need to think about it a little more.

I'm not making the rules or advising people.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »

IMHO Covid iscarcely,if at all, relevant to clearing drawers, wooden or otherwise.
I refuse to let if take over all my thoughts.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »

Getting back on topic... Yes USB cables with chokes are still used, I have a Canon scanner Lide 110 which uses them.
Chokes neutralise stray EMI/RFI/EMC frequency signals within the cable.
I'm a bit of a hoarder so have piles of "stuff" everywhere  :-[

I have a crate full of random broken cables, in case I need a spare wire for something, its a bad habit.   Another crate full of possibly working cables.  Yet my drawers are also still full of tat I just can't bring myself to throw out.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »

IMHO Covid iscarcely,if at all, relevant to clearing drawers, wooden or otherwise.
I refuse to let if take over all my thoughts.

I dunno, I have a spare (theoretically two, but no idea where the other has gone) HG612 and an ECI modem unlocked with OpenWRT that I have deliberately not offered to anyone as I do not think its appropriate right now.  But obviously, we all have our own opinions and choices to make.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 04:12:49 PM »

In my case, it's lawn mower, and garden machinery bits that cause probably the biggest problem. 

I prefer to keep old things running rather than (or as well as) buying new.  But I always want to keep the old thing in case it ever comes in useful, and because I don't know how to legally dispose of it.  So it gets put in a box.  My shed is now so full of boxes of parts, that there's no room for new lawn mowers.  :(

Solution?  I have purchase approval (from better half) to buy a bigger shed. :graduate:

Dilemma - even if I get a bigger shed, will I still want to keep the old one, in case it comes in useful and because I don't know how to dispose of it. :D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 09:51:51 PM »

I remember a while back on Gardeners' Question Time a wife complaining about her husband's ever increasing sheds.
One of the panel explained that the optimum number of sheds is n + 1, where n = the current number.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »

I remember a while back on Gardeners' Question Time a wife complaining about her husband's ever increasing sheds.
One of the panel explained that the optimum number of sheds is n + 1, where n = the current number.

I like the formula, which can also be applied to so many things in life. :D

anything