Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP Installation Process  (Read 4194 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP Installation Process
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »

I'm sure they are based on the subscriber ID, but AFAIK only the telco can generate it and it only applies to your own traffic.  Again I'm kinda guessing based on what I vaguely remember being mentioned.  But it would make zero sense to have any method for a PON user to snoop on other users traffic.

It's really not that interesting. Once authorised on the network the keys are generated via a standardised process.

ONT admitted to network is fine.

rmk

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »

They will have to contact you as they don't turn up announced as they don't to waste their time getting to you only to find no one is in.  Besides if you are not in they can't install anything anyway, they will not just blindly drill a hole through a wall without knowing what is on the other side.
Hi Philip,

It looks like that is exactly what is going to happen; today is the day of the "commit date" but we still have not been informed of an appointment.  My email on Friday to Enta customer services asking for clarification has not been answered either.

We've prepared "just in case" which has meant moving quite a bit of stuff, so we're going to be very disappointed if no engineer shows today. There's still more to do (porch window and/or piano - one will have to be moved to drill a hole through the wall). We have yet to do the "wipe down" that the OR video we haven't been told about requires us to do prior to the OR engineer arriving.

It seems the whole attitude here is "sod the customer, we don't have to tell them anything."  Very disappointing.

R.

rmk

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »

... and they have turned with no prior call just before 1pm.  Single stage install, CSP and Nokia ONT.  Work now in progress.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »

Single stage install, CSP and Nokia ONT.  Work now in progress.

The model number and a photograph (or two) of the ONT would be appreciated, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rmk

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 04:53:45 PM »

The model number and a photograph (or two) of the ONT would be appreciated, please.
I can certainly do a photo, but the only way to take it off the wall to read the model number is to disconnect the fibre - there is no "spare" fibre inside, and the fibre is clipped to the wall.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »

I can certainly do a photo,

Thank you.

but the only way to take it off the wall to read the model number is to disconnect the fibre - there is no "spare" fibre inside, and the fibre is clipped to the wall.

Then no. Please don't do that.  :no:

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »

Hi

... and they have turned with no prior call just before 1pm.  Single stage install, CSP and Nokia ONT.  Work now in progress.

That's not very good to just turn up, I've always had engineers call ahead, but at least it is has been installed. 

Regards

Phil

rmk

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »

Hi burakkucat,

Here's a couple of photos of the internal aspects of the install - I'll post some external photos in the coming days.

The Nokia ONT is quite small - less than the width of a double socket.

Openreach left an open hole where the fibre comes into the inside, so I covered that with blue masking tape as a temporary measure.

Hope these are useful.

R.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »

The ONT are small.
Are you having paneling over it ?, if so is there enough cooling air going to get to it ?.
What if the PSU goes up in flames and it's back of the paneling ?.  :-\
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

rmk

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »

The ONT are small.
Are you having paneling over it ?, if so is there enough cooling air going to get to it ?.
What if the PSU goes up in flames and it's back of the paneling ?.  :-\
There isn't any panelling, there's a shelf at the same height as the ONT.  Plenty of space to permit airflow around and through the ONT.

R.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2020, 10:55:45 PM »

Right a shelf  :blush:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 12:34:30 AM »

Here's a couple of photos of the internal aspects of the install - I'll post some external photos in the coming days.

The Nokia ONT is quite small - less than the width of a double socket.

Openreach left an open hole where the fibre comes into the inside, so I covered that with blue masking tape as a temporary measure.

Hope these are useful.

Thank you. Yes, they give me a good idea of the size of the Nokia ONT . . . which I now know to be a model G-01G-Q.

You might be interested to take a look at Archetype486's "FTTP Install with Nokia ONT - Pictures Enclosed" topic.

Pages: 1 [2]