Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: more sync speed drops on Plusnet  (Read 1958 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
more sync speed drops on Plusnet
« on: May 31, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

ok, some of you will be aware of my issues stemming from last year, I continued with plusnet at my new property where i was promised (and got) 80Mb (79,995k) on fastpath - now 8-9 months later one night my internet went off at midnight dead on, came back on at 4am with no dial tone and a 10Mb loss in speed, ive had Openreach here 3 times and its not been resolved and i had to take it on the chin, not only that but the line was no longer good enough for fastpath so I lost a further 6Mbps... so ive been using 64Mbps Interleaved (down from 80Mbps fastpath)... now this morning i check it and last night it rebooted to 67Mbps on fastpath, and looking at the stats i can tell there has been another loss of speed, also fastpath will be turned off in a few days as errors are about 30 per hour and thats when it turns off, this will resolve me down to about 59-60Mbps.. so my line has been L&S again!?

- down from 80Mb fastpath to 60Mb interleaved in 1 year on Plusnet

anyone else having issues on plusnet?

Im thinking its more likely BT Openreach moving my line around to get better stats for other customers....

any advice greatly appreciated as my time with plusnet is now at an end and i can leave or stay at a reduced rate to what Im paying now which is £33 (renew @ £26 for 60Mb)

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:48:23 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: more sync speed drops on Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »

Im thinking its more likely BT Openreach moving my line around to get better stats for other customers....

Openreach use spare pairs when trying to get better speeds. They don't randomly swap users lines around.

It's not a Plusnet issue either and switching ISP will make no difference as it's the exact same line on a new ISP.

one night my internet went off at midnight dead on, came back on at 4am with no dial tone and a 10Mb loss in speed

Have you checked your cabinet recently to see if it has had any type of expansion work done?
If you are on a large Huawei 288 fibre cabinet the expansion is very subtle.

Openreach do upgrades through the night.
When they add High Density expansions to DSLAM's they usually do them after midnight.
They don't do routine work at that time of night.

It sounds very much like crosstalk to me.
A drop from 80Mb to 67Mb is within the typical range that can easily be lost to it.
I've seen lines drop from 80Mb to the mid 50's from crosstalk.

An HD expansion being added to your fibre cabinet increases the number of ports/users on the cabinet which increases the likelihood of more crosstalk.

I've attached a picture of an HD expansion on a large a Huawei cabinet. It's the couple inches added to the right hand side of the cabinet that are a slightly different shade.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:29:18 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »

thanks for the quick reply j0hn

yeah im aware its likely a BTo issue, but what can i do to resolve the problem? every engineer that comes  says before they even enter the property "im not here to increase speeds, just to make sure its working" - the last one brought a big boss with him and it still wasnt resolved and they said the exact same thing (stability only)

i'll check the cab but sure its ECI normal cab

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »

...too add
Im also thinking about changing to sky because at least they have SOME control from the DSLAM or Exchange through LLu... but not being able to use my Zyxell modem puts me off, and Talk Talk is just a big NO-NO - these are the only ISPs that have LLu in my exchange, I cant get Virgin Media either or I would have got that 200Mbps instantly

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »

Out of curiosity what does BT's website say you can get when you go to place an order for their top FTTC package?

At present I am with Zen however I have been with BT in the past.

Doing a check as of today these are what I have been offered from BT, Zen and Plusnet. Curiously Zen are the only ones guaranteeing a higher overall "lowest" speed. As for you saying someone moving your line around thats just not a thing.

Its more likely a case of your cabinet has more people on it thus crosstalk, and now you have an impacted line. What does https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com say?

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »

Sorry for making another post but I wanted to attach another image and I can't add more to my previous post.

Here is what the checker says for me. It seems that my ISP (Zen) goes off for my line the Clean line information which would suggest my line is not impacted by crosstalk. You might be able to figure out if you have crosstalk from doing the same as me.

My current line speed according to that checker is 70 but I actually get 71.4 (within margin of error).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »

...too add
Im also thinking about changing to sky because at least they have SOME control from the DSLAM or Exchange through LLu...

They don't have any control of the DSLAM.
FTTC isn't LLU, only ADSL based services are LLU.

You can use the Zyxel on Sky.

yeah im aware its likely a BTo issue, but what can i do to resolve the problem?

If it's crosstalk, nothing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:41:53 PM by j0hn »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 03:41:35 PM »

haha its exactly same as yours

I read somewhere that SKy no longer gives out its user log in info so you can not use anything but the sky modem

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »

I read somewhere that SKy no longer gives out its user log in info so you can not use anything but the sky modem

I believe it's a generic login now.

Do you want to use the Zyxel in bridge mode or as a combined modem/router?

Sky don't use PPPoE so you need to use a router that supports DHCP Option 61.
Most Zyxel modem/routers do this but you need to convert the username/password to HEX.

Perhaps someone on Sky can confirm if their Zyxel works with Sky when used as a router.

You can use it in bridge mode with any FTTC ISP.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »

Just a few thoughts:

If you have no dial tone that really needs to be fixed.  As with everything this may cause pairs to be changed and these pairs may be better or worse distance wise causing a gain or loss in speed.  This is the line lottery the reason I dread line faults and why I can't wait for fttp. 

Due to the current hot weather I swear I always get more errors when summer starts.  My line attenuation goes up sort of indicating my line length has increased.  I usually have <5 ES per hour I am at 10-20 on average now with a jump to 100 for one hour.  I do not think 20 ES/hr is a major concern especially as a fellow ECI sufferer.

Careful swapping to Sky they use a less lenient DLM than Plusnet so you could end up worse off assuming this information is correct. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »

well some good news, after contacting Plusnet they reset my connection and its gone back to 63Mb Interleaved with 75Mb MAX (1Mb Drop)

thanks everyone

Max:    Upstream rate = 24425 Kbps, Downstream rate = 75219 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 63079 Kbps

(this is typical VDSL take up... slow loss of speed over a greater amount of time!)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:57:28 AM by snadge »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »

Due to the current hot weather I swear I always get more errors when summer starts.  My line attenuation goes up sort of indicating my line length has increased.  I usually have <5 ES per hour I am at 10-20 on average now with a jump to 100 for one hour.  I do not think 20 ES/hr is a major concern especially as a fellow ECI sufferer.

Hotter cable = more resistance = higher attenuation.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »

Hotter cable = more resistance = higher attenuation.

heat makes lines stretch (9am i right) causing extra attenuation

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »

I believe the climate in warmer weather also allows more RFI both man-made and naturally occurring.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »

haha its exactly same as yours

Haha crazy, you aren't that far away from me. I live in Wallsend.
Pages: [1] 2

anything