Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: D-Link 2877al won't obtain IP  (Read 1263 times)

Mo3gza

• Just arrived
D-Link 2877al won't obtain IP
« on: May 25, 2020, 07:54:55 PM »

Hey guys..I've been having this problem for more than a week now and I'm coming to my wit's end..I have an FTTC connection 40 Mbps down 5 Mbps up with max rate 95 Mbps..used to work flawlessly in the past but now the the internet LED light will always stay red..I tried everything reset and reconfigured couple of times, changed pppoe settings from PTM to ATM..tried changing DSL mode from VDSL to ADSL.. and messed with all available options but still..no matter what I do the router just won't obtain IP from the ISP, the DSL syncs without a problem but nothing happens next.. I tried to call my ISP (Vodafone) but they weren't helpful all they told me to do "reset and reconfigure.. didn't work? Well ur gonna have to buy another router"... .I tried checking the logs and I noticed an error "192.168.1.1 – syslog: pppd[5067]: unrecognized option 'nas8_2' – 192.168.1.1 – syslog: pppd[5067]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.3 – 192.168.1.1 – syslog: pppd[5067]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded" it seems the CPE is trying to communicate over a non existent interface or unable to create one..is there any fix for this "unrecognized option nas8_2"? I even tried creating an interface manually via ssh but it's very hard to accomplish on a soc read only environment like routers..any help would be appreciated guys
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:28:57 PM by Mo3gza »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: D-Link 2877al won't obtain IP
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:42:58 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

From the speeds you have mentioned, it appears your service is of the FTTC category but you are probably not UK based. Assuming a VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2) service, the modem should be configured to use packet transfer mode (PTM) and not asynchronous transfer mode (ATM).

What has your ISP said with regards to the mode of authentication with their server? Is it PPPoE, IPoE, DHCP? Is a VLAN required?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Mo3gza

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:46:59 AM »

What has your ISP said with regards to the mode of authentication with their server? Is it PPPoE, IPoE, DHCP? Is a VLAN required?
Thanks for ur reply..It uses PPPoE and Vlan is 0..the router tries to initiate the PPPoe module but always fails with that "unrecognized option error"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »

I have now downloaded the datasheet for the D-Link DSL-2877AL and after examining it, I see that the device is only capable of an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ connection and not a VDSL2 connection.

I am confused with your current situation.  ???

Mo3gza

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »

I have now downloaded the datasheet for the D-Link DSL-2877AL and after examining it, I see that the device is only capable of an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ connection and not a VDSL2 connection.

I am confused with your current situation.  ???
The Australian version (A1) Only supports ADSL2 but the middle eastern version (A3) supports VDSL2 and even supports G.inp..i thought it was a good device to replace my ancient Edimax CPE since they installed these Huawei cabinets in my street..used to work flawlessly in the past months but now it won't obtain IP no matter what

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:33 PM »

Is the ISP Vodafone Egypt?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »

I've looked up the IP address it does appear to be Egypt, although according to AFRINIC it looks like vodafone Egypt are some sort of vISP for Telecom-Egypt.

A bit more digging and I found this.   According to that, it looks like they don't use PPPoE and you need to set it to automatically obtain an IP address.

There's some more settings here you can try.

Good luck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

. . .  it looks like they don't use PPPoE and you need to set it to automatically obtain an IP address.

Probably IPoE with a dynamic IPv4 address, handed out from the provider's "pool".

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »

Last time Vodafone EG was my ISP it was using PPPoE for vdsl2/fttc lines maybe things changed since then,, I think the issue is that line port has changed when FTTC cabinet installed and really there is no co-ordination between other ISPs and Telecom-Egypt which is playing 2 rules (TE) first as an ISP by itself and the second it owns EVERYTHING in the phone line / broadband infrastructure leasing the equipment and bandwidth to other ISPs so they must require re-activation of service on the lines subscribed with them and it takes sometime cause I think TE is making the process take longer time than it should be so other ISPs' subscribers get bored and change the ISP to TE which takes much less time in service activation, subscribers who are already with TE service works flawlessly with only time out of service when lines are sorted out in the cabinet.

The best thing UK did is separating OR from BT, cause in our situation things are really really messy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:13:05 PM by mofa2020 »

anything