Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Windows 10 Version 2004 released  (Read 10976 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 Version 2004 released
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2020, 11:52:03 AM »

Everything is just so much harder on Windows 10, I don't remember it being nearly this bad on 7.

I agree on that.

I think MS need to make feature updates separate to security/fixes updates for Windows 10.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2020, 04:22:17 PM »

I think they have now and your only forced to have a feature update when your current version is reaching the end of its supported period.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »

Its the fact they slowly are moving everything over to UWP and its such a vastly inferior platform.  Networking options are now spread so far across the OS and the UWP version of the IP configuration panel wont even let you enter a static IP address without a gateway or DNS.  ???  (I have dual LAN at the moment so Internet goes over Gigabit and a dedicated NAS VLAN goes over a 5Gbit USB adapter)

I guess I should learn some powershell, that might make things a little easier to force, but its the fact I can't do simple things that used to be so much easier in the UI.

The Windows 7 photo viewer was fast and efficient, the Windows 10 Photo viewer sometimes works.  Thumbnailing itself in the OS seems hit and miss, on Linux I set thumbnails to go into a RAM drive so they are wiped every reboot because they waste a metric ton of space and my CPU is fast so its not like thumbnailing a folders contents takes long.  I have a cron job on the NAS to wipe out Thumbs.db periodically in case Windows rudely does the nasty, but I shouldn't HAVE to do that.

In their quest to make things easier for novices (did anyone even ask for that?) they've made it a complete joke for people with specific use cases.  My mum has never stopped grumbling since going to Win10, there is nothing she needed improving on 7.  I'd have moved her to Linux years ago but that's still just a little bit too much of a transition for her.

I've probably missed a ton of other annoyances.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »

SSD trim has now been fixed with latest Windows update.. so I have set my trim to occur monthly now  :fingers:
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2020, 12:46:26 PM »

The main annoyance for me when it comes to the windows updater program is I've had to exclude quality of life updates because it keeps trying to update my nvidia driver, when I use geforce to update it manually.

The annoyance about nvidia drivers is they keep updating the driver when new games come out. But they also start changing things too. So the mind set is when you find a good stable driver, unless you want to play the latest games then don't update. But windows is always trying to force the update.

If there was a way to block the nvidia update I'd switch it back on.

parkdale

• Reg Member

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »

Thank you for the info @parkdale

I used that program to hide the nvidia driver it kept trying to install.

Interestingly it was the same version of the driver that had tried to install 2+ years ago. When I was searching around the net I noticed the driver seems to try and install on systems that dont have any nvidia products. It sounds like its gone rogue  :)

For people using Windows 10 Pro version I used the group policy editor to set the 'Configure Automatic Updates' to 2 so it notifys me of the updates and I have to tick a box to install it. So it seems they changed things along the way probably to address the situation I was having. I think it just means I have to manually take a look at the Windows Update regularly to keep an eye on downloads.

The way I was blocking the nvidia driver before was using a group policy called 'Do not include drivers with Windows updates'. I had disabled it. So that blocked any driver that wasn't associated with Microsoft. The problem was it wasn't just blocking nvidia. It was blocking all my other devices, including Intel drivers etc. So I set that back to Not Configured, which was its default state.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »

I had a bit of a "Major Clanger" moment a few weeks ago, whilst trying to uninstall the last remaining Kaspersky program, Revo uninstaller has a scanner for gathering all affected reg keys.
So I hit the nuclear option :-[ bang went my Office activation and Windows 10 pro as well :-X on reboot it triggered the Nvidia driver you mentioned, so I let it update anyway then applied the latest version over the top.
So ... don't try this at home :blush: still Kaspersky has all gone now :fingers:

Office activation was already backed up... just copied back the C:/windows/system32/Spp folder... job done.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 11:10:24 PM »

I agree on that.

I think MS need to make feature updates separate to security/fixes updates for Windows 10.

They do on enterprise LTSC.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »

The main annoyance for me when it comes to the windows updater program is I've had to exclude quality of life updates because it keeps trying to update my nvidia driver, when I use geforce to update it manually.

The annoyance about nvidia drivers is they keep updating the driver when new games come out. But they also start changing things too. So the mind set is when you find a good stable driver, unless you want to play the latest games then don't update. But windows is always trying to force the update.

If there was a way to block the nvidia update I'd switch it back on.

There is a way to disable device driver updates as part of windows update, I will post how tomorrow if I remember to do it.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »

There is a way to disable device driver updates as part of windows update, I will post how tomorrow if I remember to do it.

When I was looking around on a way to block device drivers I noticed there is a way to put the hardware id of the device in so it blocks drivers for that manufacturer. The only problem is it will also block non-windows update ways to install it too. So I wouldn't be able to manually download the driver from the nvidia website or have geforce install it as it blocks the hardware id universally, which is a bit extreme in my view. They should have just restricted it to the windows updater. There is also a tick box when inputting the hardware id that will actively remove any currently installed matched hardware device drivers from the system.

Is this what you was going to say, or is there another way?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »

Ok so there is two methods I am aware off.

The first way is via group policies.

I dont have a windows 10 device powered up right now but this guide seems to have the method in written form.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-automatic-hardware-driver-updates-on-windows-10/

Scroll to this part of the guide "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update"

There is also an option inside the system part of legacy control panel where you can choose to not download device driver updates, this I think also works but the group policy method is for sure the way to go.

The method you found with id's seems very hacky I wouldnt go that route, the official microsoft supported way is via group policy editor and wont affect manual updating from the hardware vendor.

busterboy

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX8nU_uQiwM[/youtube]

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2020, 10:43:06 PM »

yep thank you busterboy, thats the system control panel method.

I have never heard of the id hacking method before today, I think either the control panel method or GPO is fine, but I would stay away from hacking driver id's.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »

Have been avoiding the 2004 update on my main Ryzen-5, Win 10 Home, desktop PC for weeks, has remained optional until yesterday when it decided to install itself and was awaiting a restart to complete.

Having completed the installation, started to look for the unwanted side effects which MS invariably incorporate for free.

First observation, signing in to my RPi's via VNC, 2 on local network, 2 remotely, request passwords every time even though the "remember PW" boxes are ticked, was not the case previously, only had to supply PW once or after any configuration changes.
Win network & sharing settings have been checked, nothing has changed from pre update.

Hardly fatal but annoying, any ideas on how to restore previous VNC/RPi sign in procedure without uninstalling the Win 2004 update ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything