Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Windows 10 Version 2004 released  (Read 10988 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 Version 2004 released
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 07:07:07 AM »

In fact what I see may or may not be the same issue. I have no issue with the visibility of my PCs and laptop, they appear in both the navigation pane and  main pane (as both computers and media devices).

It's my NAS box that is odd. It doesn't appear in the navigation pane to start with even though I have permanent drive mappings on it which do show up (without any red crosses). It never appears as a computer and always appears as a media device. If I put \\nasbox in the address bar (or use the shortcut) it appears in the navigation pane and all the shares appear in the main pane. It stays visible in the navigation pane until I close and re-open Windows Explorer, but visibility in the main pane when Network is selected doesn't change.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »

As a matter of interest, have you seen the suggestion of using a shortcut anywhere else? I've been seeing this behaviour for months and it never bothered me as I could just enter the name. When you confirmed this was your issue I thought is there a simple way to get round it and as entering the name in the address bar works I thought a shortcut was worth a try - and it worked a treat.

Do you mind sharing the logistics of your suggested shortcut method ?

My WD NAS is certainly an effected local network device which does not display on Win explorer network tree until directly addressed, same applies to my DSLStats, RPi 3B, network PC's are more inclined to appear automatically but not always.

It's my NAS box that is odd. It doesn't appear in the navigation pane to start with even though I have permanent drive mappings on it which do show up (without any red crosses). It never appears as a computer and always appears as a media device. If I put \\nasbox in the address bar (or use the shortcut) it appears in the navigation pane and all the shares appear in the main pane. It stays visible in the navigation pane until I close and re-open Windows Explorer, but visibility in the main pane when Network is selected doesn't change.

Certainly a more accurate account of what I have been trying to explain, same issue.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »

You need Show desktop icons to be on.
  • Right click on the desktop and select New Shortcut
  • Enter the location of the item as \\nasbox
  • Give the shortcut a name and Finish
  • You can now right click the shortcut and pin to startor quick access
You could also create shortcuts to subfolders on the device.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »

You need Show desktop icons to be on.
  • Right click on the desktop and select New Shortcut
  • Enter the location of the item as \\nasbox
  • Give the shortcut a name and Finish
  • You can now right click the shortcut and pin to startor quick access
You could also create shortcuts to subfolders on the device.

Ahh, so just a simple desktop shortcut, thought it might have been something more complex.
Did go down that route previously before installing the "FDResPub" work around as outlined in the MS forum link provided earlier.
Thank you for the explanation.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 10:28:14 PM »

It’s actually a master browser issue I suspect. You can check which device is acting as master browser with nbtstat -a.

I would force the NAS to become the master browser by disable the computer browser service on all other devices. This is old technology but still causes glitches.

Think it will solve the problem as the FDpub doesn’t help NAS boxes.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »

It’s actually a master browser issue I suspect. You can check which device is acting as master browser with nbtstat -a.

Followed this line of investigation when the issue first occured but found that it did not consistantly cure the non appearance of local network devices on the Win explorer network tree, my WD NAS certainly being the most common absentee.

In my case the only solution that produced consistant and repeatable results was the "FDResPub" scheduled task work around.

From the MS community forum post as per link supplied earlier, some have had success by enabling remote desktop (Win 10 Pro option only) and/or disabling fast startup.   

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »

It is bizarre when you consider that very thing is why some people stuck with Windows rather than moving to Linux.

I probably should migrate the laptop to linux, its way more performant for general desktop use, the only thing keeping my desktop of it is I run windows specific games and apps on there.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 08:08:02 AM »

It is bizarre when you consider that very thing is why some people stuck with Windows rather than moving to Linux.

I stick with Windows because I grew up with it, and know it, every time I look at Linux I end up coming to the same conclusion, that it's too steep a learning curve, and like pfSense there's too much complicated not fully explained information on the net. My brothers of the same opinion.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »

On Windows, new software package will either be an exe or an msi. Either way you download it, open it and an installer runs which will guide you through the installation package.

Linux fails for the majority because it's nowhere near as simple. Far to many options and alternatives just makes it bewilderingly complicated.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

there is package managers now for linux so point and click or simple cli comand, in many cases its easier e,g. windows download firefox from vendor website and then manually install, whilst in linux its in the package manager

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2020, 11:38:51 PM »

They've released the hold - version 2004 is now ready for my PC.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 12:11:45 AM »

I stick with Windows because I grew up with it, and know it, every time I look at Linux I end up coming to the same conclusion, that it's too steep a learning curve, and like pfSense there's too much complicated not fully explained information on the net. My brothers of the same opinion.

The irony there is I too grew up with Windows although admittedly that means I was still quite young when I first dabbled with Linux (late teens), but I find that all the faffing around they've been doing since Windows 8 has made it JUST as complicated, if not more so, than Linux.

As for the network shares not always showing up, I've had this problem off and on as long as I can remember, possibly even since Windows 7.  Its why I always have mapped my common network drives to drive letters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:14:42 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 10:22:57 PM »

It seems malwarebytes is having some compability issues at the moment.

I'm thinking it must be with the paid version.

https://mspoweruser.com/malwarebytes-performance-issues-on-windows-10-2004/

Now, Windows 10 v2004 users are facing issues when using Malwarebytes. According to users on the forums, Malwarebytes on v2004 is causing devices to freeze, lag and is even preventing apps from launching.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:03 PM »

I dropped MWB since my login to the forums and password appeared in Firefoxes compromised email address list. I still get nasties and spam to the address to this day.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2020, 02:51:23 AM »

So... no deferring windows update for 365 days.... gone  :( only 35 days now

You can still delay updates for longer - see https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/237087/windows-10-pro-users-can-no-longer-defer-windows-updates for how
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6