Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New BT FTTC migration and interleaving  (Read 1401 times)

buds

New BT FTTC migration and interleaving
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »

I am a bit out of the loop on all things FTTC. Not a frequent changer of providers but have today just migrated back to BT from Sky.

It appears the line has come across on an interleaved profile. I'm surmising this as I am aware of the normal ping times for the connection over the years. I've downgraded to Fibre 1 as crosstalk has reduced the profile over the years from a full speed 80 to 60. Line has synced well with good stats. So a couple of questions if anyone can help:

- do migrations normally come across on an interleaved profile for stability?
- am I able to confirm interleaving status via the smart hub 2?
- is smart hub 2 generally ok? I was previously on an hg612 with original BT FTTC for over 5 years.

Thanks for any help or advice.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: New BT FTTC migration and interleaving
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:45:47 PM »

The interleaved profile is a standard now after a migration - if you migrate you will end up on an interleaved connection. 

Give it a few days and DLM should do its stuff and remove it and apply Ginp/3db if your line supports it. 

Do not keep resyncing as it may have a negative impact on this process.

buds

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »

Thanks Ktz, that's good news. I did wonder if it was something as simple as a standard thing now.

I'll leave things alone and on and see how it develops. Thanks again.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:21:33 AM »

I do not believe the SH2 has a great reputation.

As its ISP provided I suspect it will have no access to stats and worse case if it doesn't like your line (not sure of chipset) it may not be the best choice. 

With my limited knowledge I would be much happier with the hg612.  You (can) get stats and its known to be a decent enough modem compared to most ISP provided combined units.  It is only a modem only though.

I may be not giving the SH2 enough credit it may support a 3rd party firmware, have a decent chipset but that would need someone with experience of this device to correct me :)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »

It looks like the SH2 is Broadcom based - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/bt-launch-new-smart-hub-2-broadband-router-and-complete-wi-fi.html - which is good.
As already said it'd be best to leave it alone for a good few days as too many resyncs may slow down the removal of interleaving.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »

When I was with BT I had the BT Smart Hub (V1) and I thought it was pretty good, very stable. I had minor issues with Wi-Fi randomly cutting out when testing its capabilities. I didn't use the BT routers Wi-Fi for long as I decided to go back to using the RT-AC68U (at the time).

I noticed that I would sync roughly 4Mb higher when using the BT router vs any other 3rd party router/modem, not sure why this was but suspect it might be to do with the "advanced noise filter" that BT claims is in the router. I also suspect that the V2 hub also uses the same or better filters, i'd say keep the BT router as you're likely to get a better sync with it from my own personal experience when I was with BT.

These days I am with Zen and using a Vigor 130, instead of getting 74Mb I get 70/71Mb. Not that big of a deal.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »

I have the Smart Hub 2 and it's fine for most users.

The only downside for me is that it doesn't work with DSLstats.

buds

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help and the feedback. Interestingly, the smart hub 2 is showing an extra 10mb on max sync rate compared to sky.

Won't matter to me as now on Fibre 1. Figure the headroom will help with the crosstalk and hopefully keep me on fast path. I know it ludicrous to say, but the 8ms all helps for the European servers the kids play for their games (and old dad when he gets a chance 🤣).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »

The max rate is exaggerated when Interleaving is enabled so the line will sync somewhere in-between where it is now and the max rate when Interleaving is removed.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bkehoe

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »

I have the Smart Hub 2 and it's fine for most users.

The only downside for me is that it doesn't work with DSLstats.

Same here, only using it due to changing to gfast but its as solid as a rock - never reboots or drops connection; link time of over 60 days, and was greater than that before last reboot which was due to me changing some wiring. Don't use its wifi as I have a Unifi system but it seems pretty capable.

buds

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »

I know no one will be on tender hooks for an update, but thought it would be courteous to post after the help I had.

It took 5 days but DLM dropped line back to fast path and the smart hub 2 has impressed me so far with its WiFi coverage.

I'll probably still end up swapping it out to have more control over firmware updates and a proper QoS system but for now it's ticking along well. What has genuinely surprised me is how much data our household now uses as the kids get older and everything is streaming all day (TVs / consoles / Spotify / work etc).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

Thank you for the update.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.