Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: As anyone experience of downgrading?  (Read 1013 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
As anyone experience of downgrading?
« on: June 01, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »

In the next few weeks I think I'm going to end up finally re-contracting with BT as my speed continues to slowly drop.

I'm now at around 53Mbps. I noticed if I drop to the next package down BT Fibre 1 that is listed as average speed 50Mbps I'd save nearly half the price I'm currently playing.

As anyone had any experience of downgrading packages generally, or with BT specifically? If so, what was the process?

I can't find out much information about the 50Mbps level. It lists it as the average speed these days, but what is the maximum it can go to?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: As anyone experience of downgrading?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

I think its a 55/10 package basically, thus why its sold as 50Mbit average. (did a little browsing around community.bt.com to come to this conclusion)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:44:03 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »

This remains a sore point with me.

I downgraded some years ago, from Zen 80/20 to Zen 40/10.  That made sense as whilst I initially got about 50Mbps downstream, that dropped once crosstalk kicked in, to a bit under 30/9.

That 40/20 product description was subsequently amended, to be described in terms of a 35/6 average.  I continued to subscribe to that service, and still get the same speed, 27/8 or so, last time I looked.

All well and good but I feel like I am just taking it in trust that I can get 8Mbps upstream from a service sold as 6Mbps.  I think Ofcom or ASA changed the rules so that ISPs are not allowed to advertise the technical specification of the product in terms of service speed capabilities such as  "up to 80/20", as too many consumers were unable to understand the meaning of the words "up to".  Instead, they now must simply quote the average speeds that people achieve. 

Being an average, the speed that some individuals achieve will be less than average speed that is advertised, and some will achieve more.   But I don't think it's easy to find out how much more you are allowed to achieve before they expect you to buy a product with a faster average.

Bottom line though, in your case, chances are you'll be fine with the downgrade and see no difference.  I've been fine with Zen's downgraded service, even though I exceed the average.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »

I'll look in to it asap. I'm kinda waiting for the covid situation to settle down a bit so if something does go wrong then there are people in work to fix it.

I'm assuming they will just press some buttons rather than doing something at the cabinet?

The only main difference I'll see from what you guys have said so far is my upload will go down from 16Mbps to 10Mbps, which considering I dont really upload much isn't going to make much difference.

I was trying to wait around for FTTP coming but so far no show.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 01:13:10 PM »

It is the total incompetence and lack of understanding by the ASA that led to ISPs having to state average speeds for Broadband. An average speed is meaningless because the actual speed depends on the line length and the type of service (ADSL or VDSL etc) so some will be high at the expected max speed, some will be very low and the majority some where in between. I think the it is the average speed achieved by 10% of customers that is used so that skews the result to a higher figure. Just ignore the average speed figures, it is still an up to 80/20 or 40/10 service.

This is a long Blog post from Adrian Kennard (RevK) who runs Andrews and Arnold (A&A) who describes the confusion caused by using average speed figures.
https://www.revk.uk/2017/05/even-more-confusion-when-picking.html

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »

It is the total incompetence and lack of understanding by the ASA that led to ISPs having to state average speeds for Broadband. An average speed is meaningless because the actual speed depends on the line length and the type of service (ADSL or VDSL etc) so some will be high at the expected max speed, some will be very low and the majority some where in between. I think the it is the average speed achieved by 10% of customers that is used so that skews the result to a higher figure. Just ignore the average speed figures, it is still an up to 80/20 or 40/10 service.

This is a long Blog post from Adrian Kennard (RevK) who runs Andrews and Arnold (A&A) who describes the confusion caused by using average speed figures.
https://www.revk.uk/2017/05/even-more-confusion-when-picking.html

Totally agree.  Daftest bit of regulator intervention I've ever seen.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »

Particularly bizarre as it seems mobile broadband don't have to mention speed at all.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything