Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Error rate  (Read 5339 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Re: Error rate
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 05:26:16 PM »

We're affected by an electric fence and get a more or less steady 2800 ES/hour.  It doesn't affect throughput in any way that I can detect, except that the ISP has to disable DLM to prevent BT clocking the line down to some punitive banded profile.  The fence doesn't affect noise margin either, when the fence is off you see errors drop to zero but margin is unchanged.

I've noticed two things, one is that the interference almost disappears when it's raining, secondly that fixing some bad joints in the fence made some initial improvement.
Yes I've had to do a good bit of research on fence set up ;) I did learn that wet ground provides better grounding as most fences earth is inadequate . I've also done the rounds of fencing directly around us improving bad joints ( the farmer has been happy to let me do this ) but it seems different in that it's really constant I'm sure in previous years there's been more fluctuation in the error spikes 

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 09:25:52 AM »

Interesting development , ran dslstats from laptop ( wireless ) this morning ( the P.C it normally runs from not on )stats still the same , so out of interest unplugged the P.C Ethernet cable ( P.C still not on ) still the same , plugged new cable in SNR goes up errors stop the other end still not plugged in yet . So plugged into P.C still no errors , turned on P.C still no errors , stopped dslstats on laptop started it on P.C and 2 hours on still no errors  :fingers: Bitswaps dropped way down and snr seems to be fluctuating more but nothing too bad . We will see what happens ;)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »

Still behaving its self  :fingers:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]