Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Error rate  (Read 5341 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Re: Error rate
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »

The pole :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 02:11:43 PM »

Hmm . . . :hmm:  I'm not sure about that but it would be worthwhile checking in its vicinity for any radiated interference.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »

Hmm . . . :hmm:  I'm not sure about that but it would be worthwhile checking in its vicinity for any radiated interference.
according to my little AM radio there's plenty and on the power line coming into the house :( ( it goes up the outside before entering the house )

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »

would something like a power line conditioner be any use ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UB0G4DQ?pf_rd_r=0CTPB2EWW04WVP8KCK2G&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Maybe . . .

I would be more inclined to make a request to the relevant electricity distribution company for the gubbins on the pole to be checked for faults.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »

I'll give it a go  :fingers: cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »

would something like a power line conditioner be any use ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UB0G4DQ?pf_rd_r=0CTPB2EWW04WVP8KCK2G&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I have one of these running most of my AV kit and the plug-only model also elsewhere on the circuit, belt and braces.

I'm not sure they are having any impact at all as they aren't near my air conditioner, but as I think I said before - neither my AC nor fridge kicking in seems to have any impact on my line.  Make of that what you will.

A higher end UPS however would generate its own AC directly from the DC voltage, which would be the ultimate line conditioner.  But I'd still be tempted to swap out the modems PSU first as it may be its developed a fault and its own basic conditioning is not functioning any more.

We do at least seem to be coming to some conclusion, that there is interference on both the phone line and mains, but its only when both are present that it becomes a major problem.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »

I have one of these running most of my AV kit and the plug-only model also elsewhere on the circuit, belt and braces.

I'm not sure they are having any impact at all as they aren't near my air conditioner, but as I think I said before - neither my AC nor fridge kicking in seems to have any impact on my line.  Make of that what you will.

A higher end UPS however would generate its own AC directly from the DC voltage, which would be the ultimate line conditioner.  But I'd still be tempted to swap out the modems PSU first as it may be its developed a fault and its own basic conditioning is not functioning any more.

We do at least seem to be coming to some conclusion, that there is interference on both the phone line and mains, but its only when both are present that it becomes a major problem.
I've been eliminating the different circuits in the house and running leads to the UPS from other circuits with no change so can't find anything internal , the PSU is certainly worth a try I'm just nervous of dropping any more speed by disconnecting when it's hanging on at a almost usable rate   

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »

I've been eliminating the different circuits in the house and running leads to the UPS from other circuits with no change so can't find anything internal , the PSU is certainly worth a try I'm just nervous of dropping any more speed by disconnecting when it's hanging on at a almost usable rate

I'd get the PSU but only swap it out once you're comfortable enough time has passed to not upset it, or if it drops sync on its own.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »

I do have a new spare ready :)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »

By the way what make are the plug only conditioners you use ?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 02:40:40 AM »

By the way what make are the plug only conditioners you use ?

Tacima, its actually the same one you linked above my AV equipment is plugged into and the same brand but their plug-only (passive) model is currently next to the fused spur to the outdoor socket the lawn mower uses.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »

The pole :)
That looks like an 11kV transformer, normal practice for rural properties around here.  I must say I'd be surprised if noise picked up on the 11kV side would pass through to your 220V side.  For a start it would transformed down even if it did.

By the way looking back at the graphs, the one where you ran on UPS for 10 minutes, the error rate dropped but also the Noise Margin.  IE error rate got better, noise margin got worse.  That's a bit odd.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

That looks like an 11kV transformer, normal practice for rural properties around here.  I must say I'd be surprised if noise picked up on the 11kV side would pass through to your 220V side.  For a start it would transformed down even if it did.

By the way looking back at the graphs, the one where you ran on UPS for 10 minutes, the error rate dropped but also the Noise Margin.  IE error rate got better, noise margin got worse.  That's a bit odd.
Yes it's all a bit odd :( , the error rate seems to be on a steady increase . I know at first it was around 1500 mark it's crept up to 3250 mark now but hanging on :( sure it will crash out sometime soon I'll sit back and watch  :no:

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 05:02:50 PM »

We're affected by an electric fence and get a more or less steady 2800 ES/hour.  It doesn't affect throughput in any way that I can detect, except that the ISP has to disable DLM to prevent BT clocking the line down to some punitive banded profile.  The fence doesn't affect noise margin either, when the fence is off you see errors drop to zero but margin is unchanged.

I've noticed two things, one is that the interference almost disappears when it's raining, secondly that fixing some bad joints in the fence made some initial improvement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4