Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Error rate  (Read 5342 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Re: Error rate
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:26:55 PM »

I meant the outside phone lines running parallel to the fence lines so the effect should be on the line already I guess it will not matter if a UPS is used or not.
going by the clicks and other noises on our phone line I'm sure the interference is through the line 

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »

May be both electric wiring and phone lines affected, and when voltage decreases as Alex suggested the part of the problem fixed temporally by UPS kicking in!! but with noise on the line I guess it is not the only (and not the main) problem on your line and neither the UPS nor the electric shower can do anything regarding it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »

A quick experiment might be to disconnect the UPS from the incoming mains supply and then, whilst the UPS is supporting the modem/router, check the recorded error rates?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »

A quick experiment might be to disconnect the UPS from the incoming mains supply and then, whilst the UPS is supporting the modem/router, check the recorded error rates?  :-\
brilliant idea took a snap shot 10 minutes at the end UPS running
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:50:52 PM by noddy »

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »

SNR

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »

Even SNRM at your given sync. rate is lower which means the line is quieter, so another quick experiment while the UPS off main supply and feeding the router can you still hear the noises on the phone line?

If it is wireless handset then router wifi may produce some clicking while hearing the dial tone, so make sure the test is done in another room.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »

tried that line still sounds the same :(

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »

But it is nothing to worry about, the issue is electric... do you have any powerline adapters?

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »

But it is nothing to worry about, the issue is electric... do you have any powerline adapters?
No tried them once years ago and they sent the SNR crazy

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »

:( Thought that might be the issue...

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »

so perhaps I should look for something that continually plugged in and running first ?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »

It would be probably from the fences as you said that errors in winter way lower than in summer, unless there is something else used during summer in the house.. but you can use an AM radio on 612khz and around follow the picked up noise wave (if any) to the source, unplug it if noise gone then there it is (or one of the sources is gone).

A question that just pumped into my head, do your house has an electric fence? that is sharing power with the house, or where do the fences belong to?

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:04 PM »

Hi no we don't have a fence but we are surrounded by them almost all are battery powered

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »

brilliant idea took a snap shot 10 minutes at the end UPS running

Ah, now that is interesting. So you have shown clear evidence of the interference being carried on the main wiring.

Is your mains supply an underground or an aerial feed? If the latter, is there a near-by pole mounted delta-star transformer? (Three-phase 11 kV to the delta, three-phase 415 V from the star, with the star centre earthed. Thus three single-phase 240 V feeds from each arm of the star and its centre.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 06:35:09 AM »

Ah, now that is interesting. So you have shown clear evidence of the interference being carried on the main wiring.

Is your mains supply an underground or an aerial feed? If the latter, is there a near-by pole mounted delta-star transformer? (Three-phase 11 kV to the delta, three-phase 415 V from the star, with the star centre earthed. Thus three single-phase 240 V feeds from each arm of the star and its centre.)
we do have a pole about 100mtrs away with some type of ( I assume ? ) transformer on it , the feed to our house heads underground from it . I'll get a pic of it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything