Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Error rate  (Read 5340 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Error rate
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:50 AM »

Hi I know I get increased error rate when the electric fences go on during summer and this year is no exception :( , put I've spotted that when we are using the electric shower the rate drops while it's on ? I've yet to check if it happens if it's the same with other big draws like oven etc any ideas what could be happening ? , it's never done this through winter  :( cheers

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Error rate
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »

It would be worth checking the tightness of all electrical connections in that circuit.  Shower switches are notorious for overheating if the connection's not properly tight and if it's left like that it can cook and damage both the switch and the cable.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »

Thanks for that :) , I did have a look and check + disconnected that circuit made no difference . I'll keep digging :)   

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »

put I've spotted that when we are using the electric shower the rate drops while it's on ?

You mean that while using the electric shower the speed rate drops? am I right?

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »

You mean that while using the electric shower the speed rate drops? am I right?
no the error rate drops

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:47:42 PM »

Hi

When you say electric shower, is this a pumped shower?

Regards

Phil

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:13:53 PM »

That is weird, do the electric shower decrease the error rate while on every summer? also you say that electric fences cause increase error rate during summer, so I guess that for some reason the electric shower effect that happens doesn't appear during winter when the certain cause of higher error rate is not persistent (electric fences are not used), not sure if phone lines passing near electric fences and that cause electromagnetic interference on the lines (but in that case it is not reversible easily, may be the Zyxel "b10a"s models which include a line filter can help more) or the fences are affecting the house electricity itself which go through router adapter to inside the router causing interference or the router adapter is the cause of interference since it is probably near the router and increase error rates so something in the electric shower is canceling or decreasing that effect from house electricity while it is on (if all is on the same circuit).

Also do not forget that during summer phone lines affected by heat and that is a reason why errors may increase or even speed decreases especially on longer lines, this is aside from the your query.

It is guessing I am not an electrician may be it is all nonsense at all.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 05:34:56 PM »

Hi

When you say electric shower, is this a pumped shower?

Regards

Phil
no just a normal water heating shower

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »

That is weird, do the electric shower decrease the error rate while on every summer? also you say that electric fences cause increase error rate during summer, so I guess that for some reason the electric shower effect that happens doesn't appear during winter when the certain cause of higher error rate is not persistent (electric fences are not used), not sure if phone lines passing near electric fences and that cause electromagnetic interference on the lines (but in that case it is not reversible easily, may be the Zyxel "b10a"s models which include a line filter can help more) or the fences are affecting the house electricity itself which go through router adapter to inside the router causing interference or the router adapter is the cause of interference since it is probably near the router and increase error rates so something in the electric shower is canceling or decreasing that effect from house electricity while it is on (if all is on the same circuit).

Also do not forget that during summer phone lines affected by heat and that is a reason why errors may increase or even speed decreases especially on longer lines, this is aside from the your query.

It is guessing I am not an electrician may be it is all nonsense at all.
no doesn't sound nonsense to me , during the past winter my hourly ES/Hour rate is around 2 to 3 , now the fence's are on it's around 2500 to 3000 :( all our lines are under ground and many run parallel with fence lines

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »

parallel with fence lines

Ah, worst direction with when phone lines has to be near electric lines which usually required to be + not = to minimize the interference... but how the electric shower reduce the effect of interference when it is on? it has to be something with the electric feeding which is powering on the router (can not see a relation between the electric shower and the phone line)... and it is not related to the load of the device like other things in the house, it is the electric shower something inside it when it is in use only.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »

Ah, worst direction with when phone lines has to be near electric lines which usually required to be + not = to minimize the interference... but how the electric shower reduce the effect of interference when it is on? it has to be something with the electric feeding which is powering on the router (can not see a relation between the electric shower and the phone line)... and it is not related to the load of the device like other things in the house, it is the electric shower something inside it when it is in use only.
The router is run through a UPS and in a very quite ( electrically wise ) spot 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »

That's even more bizarre.  Unless the UPS is somehow kicking in when you operate the shower due to the voltage drop?

I know I've seen mine kick into line conditioning mode when the voltage goes too high.

Have you tried changing the router PSU?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »

I meant the outside phone lines running parallel to the fence lines so the effect should be on the line already I guess it will not matter if a UPS is used or not.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »

I meant the outside phone lines running parallel to the fence lines so the effect should be on the line already I guess it will not matter if a UPS is used or not.

But that wouldn't explain the shower helping, so could it in fact be coming in via the electricity wiring not the telephone line?  The UPS may be unable to filter out the particular harmonics being produced, unless its an online UPS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »

That's even more bizarre.  Unless the UPS is somehow kicking in when you operate the shower due to the voltage drop?

I know I've seen mine kick into line conditioning mode when the voltage goes too high.

Have you tried changing the router PSU?
interesting idea
Pages: [1] 2 3 4