Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Did I Panic...  (Read 3000 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Did I Panic...
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »

....you bet I did.

There I was surfing along merrily on the Ebuyer site, when everything locked up, vulcan death grip refused to work, cpu is starting to overheat 'cos I hear fan kick in, cutting power on a lappy doesn't work because it transfers to battery, even though I tried that. Holding down power button wasn't working either, puts on cooling fan to keep me and lappy cool and ponder dilema, how do you turn off a frozen lappy . Gave power button one more go counted to ten this time and it worked. Big sigh of relief.

Wait for me and lappy to gain our composure and fire it up again fully expecting message saying windows was not closed down properly, no such thing, fires up as normal.

As you may have guessed this is the first time this has happened in 18 months of owning a lappy, you've got to hand it to XP it's got style (sorry Vista owners).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Did I Panic...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »

My lappy sometimes overheats in a similar fashion (actually I kinda forgot I had one since I really only used it when I was ill and these days prefer to sit at a main PC)

Although I cant be sure.. but in my case Im pretty sure it was the graphics card that causes the overheat.. and the lappy to freeze.
It would mostly happen on graphic intensive sites using IE and particulary dreamweaver.

One of the reasons why I dont really even think about using the lappy as most of the time Im working on other things too.. and too many times Ive lost work :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Did I Panic...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »

Thats pretty much how I broke my PC (homebuilt btw) It caused the fan to snap and dislodge a load of wires but, Yorkie if it works there is nothing to worry about  ;D

anything