Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Break-in and break-out  (Read 462 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Break-in and break-out
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »

George (the donkey) was caught trapped in the flower garden tonight. I heard him bumping around below my window but I first thought the sound was Janet pottering about doing things with plant pots and then decided it was a donkey outside the garden gate trying to get into the garden for some mischief. Too late did I realise that somehow he had got into the garden and then, amazingly, had pushed the gate back, shutting himself in. Gilbert was still left outside the garden, desperate to be inside; “where George goes, there go I” attitude, as usual.

George was after the wild bird food in the feeder. The donkeys are so obsessed with stealing food that they will go for anything edible and they have plenty of volume of their normal food and at this time of year they have green grass, plus they always get a supper treat at their stable before bedtime every night. George has eaten some seedlings, young plants and flowers which is a real shame. Including two of the "Fox and cubs" - which is a bit like a dandelion but orange. And some sweet cicely. He was caught just about to eat a rosebush - they don’t care about thorns of course.

It’s now gone 9 o’ clock (UTC) and we are both in bed with three or four cats keeping us company. Just now a friend next door has told Janet that the donkeys have escaped and are looking for adventure on the road; someone unknown has left a gate open. Janet now has to get out of bed, having already got unto her nightwear, to go out and call them back in. The donkeys are very good and they always come when they’re called. There’s perhaps the expectation of a treat or some fuss or both. I hope Janet does give them a treat, so as to reinforce desired ‘good boy’ behaviour, Pavlov style.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Break-in and break-out
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:48:05 PM »

I have a vision of a large stash of varied treats being kept for the various members of your menagerie. Kitteh treats, dog treats, donkey treats, hen treats . . .

:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Break-in and break-out
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:39:46 PM »

Janet did give the donkeys some treats as a reward for coming when called.
  • Donkey treats are pony nuts (pellets); low calorie equine food with tasty herbs but low energy content so they don’t get fat.
  • Dog: A drink of milk is the dog treat these days for Ciarán.
  • For hens, a treat is mixed corn not just layers’ pellets.
  • Kittehs love the "Dreamies" cat treats with the exception of Pangur Bán who has no time for them and has tomatoey sauce out of baked bean cans as a treat, or a bit of cheese, and Thomas who likes milk (full fat please) and isn’t interested in Dreamies because he lives on dry cat food, so dry food isn’t special anymore. I say ‘lives on dry food’, that and his prey; two more dead rats found, half eaten, Thomas having made a sensible decision where to stop.