Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: BBC bias  (Read 7700 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BBC bias
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »

@Alex, re ‘cause of deaths’,  I’m coming around to the idea that maybe best estimate is to compare how many people died in the period, vs same period previous years.  We’ve a big enough population to give us a fairly stable statistical starting point.

It’s still not perfect as there’ll be additional deaths from strokes and heart attacks simply because people were afraid to go to hospital, rather than because they had the virus.  But equally, the tally from road deaths should be lower.  It cuts both ways.

I’d not be surprised if, on balance, this year’s extra deaths over recent years yielded a figure not far from the true total for Covid.   But that doesn’t help with international comparisons as I don’t know how easy it is to obtain the data?   Ours is published by Office of National Statistics, but what about others?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »

Hi

I have the impression that not a lot of people on here have traveled or called at a supermarket

The 2 meter advice (as that’s all that it is) seems to apply when queuing to enter supermarket but once inside, it’s a free for all... nearly everyone ignores the arrows on the floor and supermarket staff stand right next to you...

It’s the same at motorway services, but worse is not many men wash their hands after going to the toilet

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »

That’s interesting thanks, John.

I’ve managed to get home deliveries throughout, so I have avoided supermarkets, and will continue to do so.  That’s been quite a struggle, but sounds like it was worth it.

Here in the village, 2 metres has been pretty well respected.   When out walking, people will invariably facilitate passing one another by edging into a hedge, or into the road which has been blissfuly devoid of traffic. 

There’s one quiet lane that’s probably just about 3 metres wide, houses both sides.  On VE day, I noticed neighbours  were enjoying drinks and eats, settled in their own front gardens, whilst enjoying conversations with those living opposite.  As in a street party, but having to shout not talk.   I did wonder if that was stretching the rules , but if that’s the naughtiest thing that happened, our village has probably not done too badly.

I have various bits of furniture and walls in the driveway at front of my house and delivery drivers are happy to co-operate, generally they wait until I point at a location for them to place a package, so they can avoid even approaching the door.

Our local postman in particular has made it very clear that he’s observing the gap.   In days gone by, if I saw his van, I’d always open the door and meet him in the drive to accept post and exchange pleasantries.   He’ll have none of that nowadays though he tells me (from a distance!) that not everybody in the sorting offices are so committed.  He’s still grateful though if I happen to catch his eye, and indicate he can leave something on the wall.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:12:47 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »

It’s the same at motorway services, but worse is not many men wash their hands after going to the toilet

i can't imagine there would be that many people in motorway service stations.
excluding the essential workers (truck drivers etc) where are they all travelling to? unless they all live within 5 miles of said service station and using it for the daily exercise?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »

i can't imagine there would be that many people in motorway service stations.
excluding the essential workers (truck drivers etc) where are they all travelling to? unless they all live within 5 miles of said service station and using it for the daily exercise?

Verging off topic slightly, but one professional driver I know mentioned (by electronic communication) that the creepy thing about service stations was, whilst the sitting areas were all blocked off and the whole places nearly deserted, the piped music continued to play, even in the toilets.   

Altogether reminiscent of a scene from Tomb Raider or, since that ages me, a modern equivalent. :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »

Hi

Sorry not all essential workers or key workers are nhs or drivers....

I have travelled to the other side of London on Monday/Tuesday for essential works which needed completed in order for essential manufacturing to carry on.... and have traveled throughout England to complete services to maintain manufacturing (even though there’s no guarantee I will get paid)

That’s round trips of circa 500 miles a day....

Service stations are quieter and as stated, all seating areas blocked off... piped music but important announcements for 2 meter distance etc for Covid

Honestly, no one I have seen really wash their hands in the toilets and virtually all ignore the floor markings... perhaps it’s just the services I called in but I stopped about every hour or so at services

Many thanks

John

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2020, 10:06:34 PM »

Where I live there is a general ignorance of social distancing. People walking along a pavement 3 a best, not moving necessitating me to go into the road....and I won’t even mention cyclists !
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2020, 10:33:44 PM »

If what I've seen today is correct, Cummings could be in yet more trouble. It appears possible that the "spare cottage" he stayed in may have been built without planning permission and doesn't pay council tax and he appears as a co-owner of the property on the Land Registry records.

Three days later https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52911605

Seems possible that they were shamed in to publishing because an article appeared in the The Northern Echo.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2020, 10:35:15 PM »

Where I live there is a general ignorance of social distancing. People walking along a pavement 3 a best, not moving necessitating me to go into the road....and I won’t even mention cyclists !

I’ve been trying not to mention cyclists as once I start, there’s no stopping me.  But yes, problems here too.  Mainly that they use our village as a race track, literally holding organised time trials in normal times.  No organised trials during lockdown but plenty of lycra clad yobs taking advantage of the lack of other traffic, tearing down the hill and through the village as fast as their wheels would carry them, zero chance of stopping should a pedestrian accidentally step out.   Damn, I started. :D

Calming myself down, I think many of us need to remember to be grateful to the likes of John, for continuing to work and travel.

I was lucky, retired from proper work and able to cocoon myself at home with supermarket deliveries.  Other half just worked from home.  Also living in a quiet village so, cyclists apart, able to get out for a pleasant walk every day in full sense of safety.  But my cocooning only worked because other people kept on working, thereby by definition, exposing themselves to hazard.  The people we have to thank are countless, not just NHS but also delivery drivers, refuse collection crews, utilities maintenance workers, police officers, firemen, the list is endless.  I have no idea where John fits on the endless list, but I am sure he has a place.   :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »

Three days later https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52911605

Seems possible that they were shamed in to publishing because an article appeared in the The Northern Echo.

Thanks, that makes interesting reading.

It does look to me like the Beeb are treading more lightly with this story,  more balanced, less venomous.  Maybe they have learned lessons from the other blatant ‘get Cummings’ crusade that ended in a reprimand for Maitlis?   I’d like to think so. :)

Will certainly be interesting also to see what this new investigation into Cummings reveals, as long as everybody keeps calm and objective.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »

as long as everybody keeps calm and objective.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::) :P
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »

Nope, lessons not learned.  Newsnight are still at it with more fake news that happens, by an amazing coincidence, to encourage people to think our government is doing badly...  :(

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/newsnight-s-dodgy-coronavirus-data
Newsnight’s dodgy coronavirus data

That link’s paywalled, I’m afraid.  Since it’s paywalled I’m not going to risk getting us sued by pasting it onto the forum.  If you can’t read enough of it, it basically debunks Newsnight’s claim, earlier in the week, that

“The UK now has more daily deaths from Covid than the rest of the entire EU put together.”

That ‘illusion’ was apparently caused by a change in the method some countries report the data, which Newsnight failed to reveal.  If England used the same method as Spain, it’s claimed we’d have reported just 20 deaths that day.

Spectator cite Financial Times as source for their story.  I’ve not found the FT article but probably not much point, as FT is mostly paywalled too.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »

how about rather than bumping your gums about it here, why don't you make a complaint yourself to the BBC?
make sure you list all your sources and eveidence for the allegation and i'm sure you'll get the outcome you want.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »

how about rather than bumping your gums about it here, why don't you make a complaint yourself to the BBC?
make sure you list all your sources and eveidence for the allegation and i'm sure you'll get the outcome you want.

Thank you for your thoughtful advice.   ‘Bumping gums’ is not an expression I have come across before. :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2020, 04:48:49 PM »

If England used the same method as Spain, it’s claimed we’d have reported just 20 deaths that day.

Spectator cite Financial Times as source for their story.  I’ve not found the FT article but probably not much point, as FT is mostly paywalled too.

https://t.co/kThBKffKeD?amp=1 though the stat likely comes from https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1268450749614358528?s=20
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

anything