Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router recommendation  (Read 1208 times)

Grapefruit

Router recommendation
« on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »

I need a recommendation of a new router to run alongside a Genexis modem running in Bridge mode.

Heard good reports of Draytek and Billion. No major fancy features required, just something solid that's reliable.

Anybody able to suggest a model that would be compatible without going overkill?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Router recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »

Depends on your broadband speed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Grapefruit

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:40:46 AM »

300mbps down and up.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »

How many devices you got connected?
With that speed will be good to get router which will utilise that speed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »

Since you’re running a separate modem, then there aren’t any compatibility considerations; your modem takes care of that.

Two things to think about: an Ethernet LAN switch for plugging several computers and other devices into, and wireless.

You’re probably wanting one or more wireless access points. Most people buy combined single-box wireless routers. If you need better wireless coverage in a difficult building where the internal walls are a nightmare or where you need to cover a large area then you will need more than one wireless access point.

I would say the most important feature for you is superb wireless. You won’t be able to use your 300Mbps internet connection without excellent wireless. If you fancy a particular router but its wireless performance is not good enough then you can always buy a wireless access point, which is another box, and plug that into the router to use the wireless access point’s wireless service instead.

Grapefruit

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »

How many devices you got connected?
With that speed will be good to get router which will utilise that speed.

10-15 at any one time, almost all wireless.

Grapefruit

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »

Since you’re running a separate modem, then there aren’t any compatibility considerations; your modem takes care of that.

Two things to think about: an Ethernet LAN switch for plugging several computers and other devices into, and wireless.

You’re probably wanting one or more wireless access points. Most people buy combined single-box wireless routers. If you need better wireless coverage in a difficult building where the internal walls are a nightmare or where you need to cover a large area then you will need more than one wireless access point.

I would say the most important feature for you is superb wireless. You won’t be able to use your 300Mbps internet connection without excellent wireless. If you fancy a particular router but its wireless performance is not good enough then you can always buy a wireless access point, which is another box, and plug that into the router to use the wireless access point’s wireless service instead.

Thanks.  Any recommendations of a suitable router?

Someone suggested a Draytek 2862AC, and then if needed add on a Ubiquiti AC access point to boost wireless.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »

I used Asus rt-ac68u for years and was absolutely brilliant, but when moved to bigger house I upgraded to Asus rt-ax88u. Of course for some people may be overkill but at least no one complain in my house. I got 16 devices connected wireless and no issues at all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:01:23 PM by mrk26 »

dambuilder

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »

I'm another fan of the Asus RT-AC88U after starting with the 68. I live in a house spread over three floors (router is at front downstairs window) and have great coverage throughout even in the back garden and top floor. We also have Xbox and PS4 gamers in the house who have zero issues either. It's expensive but rock-solid. You can (I don't) also install third party firmware if so desired.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »

@Grapefruit: some of our respected Kitizens use top-end ZyXEL wireless routers.

I myself use a Firebrick FB2900 firewall-router (non-wireless) and with this I use a HP 24-port switch and a number of ZyXEL NWA-3560n wireless access points. But you said no over-the-top  :) so I’m not much use to you. Firebricks are quite expensive but I absolutely love mine because it’s very powerful and extremely easy to use and to administer.

My ZyXEL wireless kit is ancient but very well-loved and I keep trying to remember then forgetting to get a couple of Cisco wireless access points set up; these I got from eBay and a kindly Kitizen offered to help sort me out with them, getting the right software installed in them, so I can test them, but I keep forgetting to ask my wife to post them off to my helpful Cisco expert.