Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Returning to FTTC from g.fast - it is simple?  (Read 3251 times)

spudgun

• Reg Member
Returning to FTTC from g.fast - it is simple?
« on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »

I'm thinking of saving a few quid (approx £25 a month) and going back to 80/20 fttc from my current g.fast connection, but staying with my current ISP, Zen.

I am out of the minimum contract, so no issue there and I have spoken to the provisioning team today at Zen as when I went from 80/20 to g.fast they royally screwed it up and left me without a connection for several days as they were very new to all things g.fast and whilst i was all synced up etc. when the Openreach engineer left no authentication could be sent and it took nearly a week for Zen to figure out what they had done wrong when provisioning the regrade and to get it working. I thought I would ask them, in advance, if this would be easy as I don't want to risk a repeat of the previous downtime.

The response I got was that this is straightforward and "this is done remotely at the exchange".

Now, and I may be wrong here, but I thought a g.fast connection took a different route to a fttc one and that a g.fast line is connected via the pod on the side of my pcp and not the fibre cabinet that is about 40 yards away from it and, as such, if I want to switch back to fttc then there will need to be work done at the cabinet level and this isn't something that can be done remotely?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here or should my alarm bells be going off and i shouldn't really progress this as I could be heading for trouble?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Returning to FTTC from g.fast - it is simple?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »

The response I got was that this is straightforward and "this is done remotely at the exchange".

I cannot see how that can be true. Work will be required in the cabinet to re-jumper the relevant tie-cables.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here . . .

No, not at all. If I was in your situation I would be asking for Zen to put that statement in writing, with a signature from an appropriate manager or director.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:10:05 PM »

Thank you very much for that, I thought as much.

I do have that statement in writing as it has come from an email exchange earlier today and I'm now thinking of how best to phrase a reply.....

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »

It definitely needs a visit to the cabinet to change the tie pairs.

No need for an engineer to be booked to visit your premises so that might be making Zen customer services think it's remote work.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »

Thanks John, I'll try and find someone who knows what they are talking about at Zen tomorrow and see what they say

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

Quick update, this isn't going particularly well. Trying to find anyone within Zen who has the level of understanding of whether a regrade from g.fast to fttc can be done and, if so, how it would be done on their ordering system in order to trigger the right series of jobs for both Openreach and Zen to do in order to make this happen is proving to be rather frustrating.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »

I wonder if asking on the AAISP IRC chat might at least give you some clues of where to point Zen staff?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »

In a word, the answer to this question is 'no'

Zen don't seem to have any systems in place to allow for this type of transfer and I'm really struggling to get to talk to someone there that understands the situation

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »

@spudgun
Were you able to move back to 80/20 FTTC? I'd be intrerested to understand how helpful Zen support was...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »

All i know is they apparently use BTwWBC for g.fast but tend to have their own gea cable links for fttc...  so its kind of like migration to llu. 
My daughter is also likely giving up their g.fast at some point in the future but will probably move to another ISP.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »

@spudgun
Were you able to move back to 80/20 FTTC? I'd be intrerested to understand how helpful Zen support was...

I finally managed to speak with someone at Zen who has a grasp of the situation and we've talked it through today and he has assured me that their provisioning system can handle this type of transfer and it will trigger the necessary Openreach work at the cabinet to move the tied pairs. I'm going to sleep on it and make a final decision as to whether to switch in the morning.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »

I had no doubt Zen could have the necessary order.

The CS rep suggesting everything was done remotely seems to have caused the initial confusion.

That's the G.Fast rolled out officially stopped for now (they will have a think about it and look at it again next year).

I'm sure for those who benefit from it it's been welcome but in my opinion the rollout was a bit of a disaster.

Pods taking over 2 years to be activated (some still sitting idle), pods being overbuilt with FTTP (some before the pod was even live) and pods that serve less than 10 properties.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »

Having slept on it, I decided to make the switch this morning and I am tracking the progress of the order online.

It seemed to go through several initial stages, very quickly, but has been stuck here for the last 7 hours: "Wait for response from WBC Gateway - FAILED"

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 05:40:39 AM »

j0hn stopped by openreach nationwide?

Leicester situation with openreach ultrafast is really odd, no announced FTTP in entire city and county even though is ultrafast competition with cityfibre and VM.

Announced g.fast but according to an openreach employee I know in the area not a single cabinet has had a pod installed.  Seems odd, but of course we do have covid19 issues at the moment so there is likely some disruption.

I am wondering if the lack of g.fast activity is potentially indicating a shift to FTTP in the area, and hoping an announcement will confirm that, but no new cities announced by openreach for ages now. :(

j0hn

• Kitizen
Pages: [1] 2