Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microchip PIC  (Read 996 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Microchip PIC
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:56:43 AM »

Driven by a motivation to keep busy whilst surviving adverse events in the news, I seem to be getting back into Microchip PIC, after a long absence of interest.

First impressions... wow, these chips can do more than ever. :)

Second impressions...  Eek, the IDE and sample projects, what a mess.   What used to be a few hundred lines of assembler in a single source file is now in C, and split between dozens of source files. Many of the C files are machine-generated by an obscure GUI configurator, completely impenetrable. :'(

But I am getting there, managed to make an LED flash this afternoon.  All that remains is to think of what on earth I will now do with a PIC, once I have mastered the technology again. ::)

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: Microchip PIC
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »

Cool! What chips are you using?

I’ve built a few things with ESP32 boards.  Integrated WiFi, Bluetooth and BLE all on a tiny board.

My favourite board at the mo is the ESP32-PICO-V4.  Currently building a thing to interface Bluetooth game controllers with retro game consoles (specifically, an Atari Jaguar).

I’m relatively new to this. Got a Uni-level C/C++ education, but never used it professionally. Started out with the Arduino IDE before switching to Espressif’s IDF framework.  I finally settled on Visual Studio Code with PlatformIO on top of the ESP-IDF.

Recently bought a JTAG debugger board so I can finally work with breakpoints, watches and step-through.

They really are quite amazing little devices!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Microchip PIC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:12:41 AM »

I have an interest in the chips with on-board op amps, so I bought a ‘curiosity’ development board, along with some 16F chips with op amps.

And that is about as far as I have got so far.   To explore the op amps, I think I need to replace some zero ohm links with header pins and jumpers, which I don’t yet have.   But I have certainly succeeded in installing sample code on a virgin device and running it. :)

anything