Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: VDSL-2 Modem/Router 2 Box Setup  (Read 5547 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: VDSL-2 Modem/Router 2 Box Setup
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 09:00:32 AM »

@tiffy: Near enough, as it was a topic you started.
  Eric

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2020, 09:04:06 AM »

@Alex Atkin UK:

Many thanks for the detailed reply ref. BT HH-5A running OpenWRT, very interesting, will certainly have a more detailed look at my PN Hub One conversion when time permits.

Wonder if you did the conversion yourself, I found it quite challanging and time consuming, case opening, serial connections soldering and FW loading, lots of good information available on the FW but not all in the same place and some of it contradictory, many loading attempts required but got there in the end.
I have ordered a 3.5mm sterio panel mounted socket and miniture push button switch which I hope to just have enough room to mount in the case to give future access to the serial header & reset, tried case mount pins using 4 RPi GPIO header pins but not very successful or neat.

Edit: Mod's., hopefully still roughly on topic ?

Yes I've done three, 2x HH5a and a Plusnet Hub One.  I was surprised how easy it was as I have shaky hands so soldering is not easy, but those probe points seem to accept solder really well.  I disconnected the wires after doing them as there shouldn't really be a need to connect to serial again.

I just followed the instructions on the OpenWRT Wiki.  Understandably the first one was the hardest, but the other two a breeze.  Doing an ECI modem was much more awkward.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:07:18 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »

I should return it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »

Edit: Mod's., hopefully still roughly on topic ?

As "own" the topic, by creating it, I'll wait for you to say if you think a "split" will be required.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »

@ mod's:

Thanks to both for "moderating".
As my converted Plusnet Hub One could possibly be put into service in router mode only as I would retain my trusty 1312-B10A as modem and to preserve line stat's monitoring via RPi, suppose still on topic really.

@ Alex Atkin UK:

Well done on your HH-5A & PN Hub One OpenWRT conversions, as a very much hands on maintenance tech. all my working life dating back to the pre "large scale integration" days when repair to component level was still an option, certainly no stranger to PCB soldering, however, equiped with a temp. controlled Weller soldering station & iron with very small tip, still struggled under the magnifying glass to make the 4 connections required and was very surprised that the serial interface actually worked first time.
Unfortunately, unlike experience, eye sight does not improve with age !

Took much longer to successfully install the FW packages, as they are very much sequential had to return to the start quite a few times after making implementation errors, as you have said, should be much easier the second time around.

Making the serial header & reset connections available without having to open the case again is probably over kill, just didn't wish to de-solder the 4 cables from the PCB again and possibly bridge some pads or damage the tracks.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]