Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as dumb switch  (Read 1647 times)

monr0e

• Just arrived
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as dumb switch
« on: May 19, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »

I have the named router from an old ISP, and I intend on setting it up as a dumb switch to add to the number of available ethernet ports in my home, as I'm too broke to invest in a proper switch for my homelab.

The device hooked up to VDSL is an Asus DSL-N16 (which, by the way, I love. Most reliable router I've ever had, even if it does run a little warm). So far, I have configured the Zyxel device to be a DHCP relay, after installing the original Zyxel firmware from the manufacturer's site  - AATO.11

When I first hooked it up, the Asus router lost all of it's device tree, although I could still access the internet through it. Now, after a restart, it seems to be working, and I can see a device through it. My SIP line has come back up, too, which is notably finicky.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Or if it's all now functional, is it worth just leaving as-is?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as dumb switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »

You don't want it to be a DHCP relay, you want it to ignore DHCP entirely.  Turn off the DHCP server and uPNP, then basically pretend its an unmanaged switch.

Although you could probably sell it and get enough back to buy a proper switch that would use much less electricity.

Although it might also be a better modem than what you are using now.  When used as a modem, you could still use it as a switch too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:14:44 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

monr0e

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »

Although it might also be a better modem than what you are using now.

What makes you say that? I had all sorts of niggling problems with the Zyxel as a router package, it had pretty terrible wireless coverage to boot. The Asus gives me some pretty granular control over all sorts of wonderful things, and it's never had a problem in the three years I've had it.

I'll take your advice re: turning off DHCP entirely though.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:05 PM »

What makes you say that? I had all sorts of niggling problems with the Zyxel as a router package, it had pretty terrible wireless coverage to boot. The Asus gives me some pretty granular control over all sorts of wonderful things, and it's never had a problem in the three years I've had it.

I'll take your advice re: turning off DHCP entirely though.

The Broadcom based units are just highly regarded by various people on the forum for their modem stability particularly when used in bridge mode with a separate router.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:40:32 PM »

The Asus DSL modems (excluding the DSL-AC88U) contain a mediatek DSL chipset.
They are quite frankly horrible and the worst chipset I've used.

Openreach removed the ability of many of them from using G.INP.
They allow the disabling of UPBO which is very bad practice (don't do this).

I would use the Zyxel as a modem over the Asus everyday of the week.
The Zyxel has poor WiFi and a clunky web interface but it has 1 of the best performing DSL chipsets and an additional built in noise filter that makes it outperform other modems for many lines.
It's my recommendation for a bridge modem.

I recommend people with the Asus DSL modems to use them as routers or access points and avoid using the DSL port when possible.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:42:49 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:53:36 AM »

As @j0hn has said the Mediatek modem chipsets are awful. Unless you are sat very close to your cabinet and getting full 80/20 then you will almost certainly get better results using the Zyxel as a modem.
 :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:56:27 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »

I got on very well with the mediatek-based DLink DSL-320B-Z1 on my ultra-long ADSL2 lines. But that is only ADSL2, not VDSL2. In fact the DLink has one advantage over the ZyXEL modems I use now which is that the upstream is faster.