Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vigor 130 monitoring behind Google WiFi  (Read 2758 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Vigor 130 monitoring behind Google WiFi
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »

I believe that the DLM process takes action based on the counts per direction, individually, and not the cumulative total of counts for both directions.

I'm sure there will soon be a definitive answer posted . . . b*cat looks in the directions of various members.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adsrox0r

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »

So, I flashed the HG612 and hooked the Pi into it for the last few days to see exactly what's going on with this line.

Now, it's painfully obvious I'm banded at 54Mb down/12Mb up.....

Code: [Select]
Stats recorded 25 May 2020 12:45:26

DSLAM type / SW version: IFTN:0xb206 (178.6) / v0xb206
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  2 days 21 hours 25 min 56 sec
Resyncs:                0 (since 22 May 2020 15:23:23)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  17.6 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 54621 12127
SNR margin (dB):        6.3 6.0
Power (dBm):            6.9 6.9
Interleave depth:        1 1
INP:                    0 0
G.INP:                  Not enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.0001 0.7466
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                1.79 9.96

Now bear in mind I have NEVER known this line to drop. I've never had an issue with it being unstable. I do get dropped packets on various tests but never anything that causes 'problems' for me. My pings are 'good', 10ms or so.

Apologies for incoming image spam, but I'd be grateful if someone wiser than I were to have a scan over my graphs.

Now, my question(s)....

I was under the impression that PlusNet provide on the 'speed' profile? Posts on their forums seem to indicate they provide on the 'standard', 'stable' and 'super stable'. This obviously has an impact on the DLM error count....which as you can see, for a 'standard' profile would sit in the amber at around 250 errors per day whereas a 'speed' profile might scrape a 'green' and stand a chance of bumping up. My down line is clearly perfectly capable of a good chunk more but my up is goosed.

I have a plethora of speed tests on this line dating back to VDSL first install quite some years ago and my down speed has been where it is now for over a year, previously it sat somewhere around 55-56 and for a brief period of a month during the ECI cabinet trials it went up to 65.

Anyway, given that BTO pretty much shrugged when I had an engineer out meaning my chances of getting this clearly 'faulty' line (probably a dodgy buried joint box) are slim to nil....... is it worth me asking PlusNet to do a remote DLM reset to see if it stands a chance of rebanding slightly higher?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »

100% not fully read your post so bear this in mind as i may have missed something. 

I am not sure why you think you are banded but from those stats I believe your line is running fine targeting 6db.  It is not banded and you are on fast path (not interleaved). 

For an ECI cab at 17,6db line attenuation it seems to be in the region of what you should be syncing at.

If eci ever gets ginp/3db targets you may get a boost of 5-10mbs perhaps more if you cross all fingers and toes.

Plusnet have always used the most lenient dlm to my knowledge. Be careful there are two standards of specifying what you are on and can be confusing (eg agressive = standard = speed see link?)

In my opinion (and that of some other members) the DLM is working different than what it used to do anyway and the old 2400 es / 20 resyncs in a day no longer applies.  It seems to have intelligence and targets problem times of the day it appears.  If you get a sudden burst of 100 es you will probably end up on interleaved I certainly do.

I'll update with a link that tries to explain the DLM if I can find it.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:30:51 PM by ktz392837 »

adsrox0r

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 02:29:30 PM »

Ah, have I misunderstood the bt 'ip profile' ? Is that not banding? Is it just a case of 'suck it buttercup, it is what it is'  :(

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:32:39 PM by adsrox0r »

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 02:33:51 PM »

*SNR margin (dB):           6.3      6.0

I guess your line is not banded and is delivering the maximum speed it can handle with SNRM 6.3 / 6.0, yes there are some ES/h but DLM did not kick in... packet loss due to G.INP(re-transmission) and Interleaving are not enabled so non of the corrupted data can be recovered or corrected so it is lost which is the cause of ES counts and the low pings of 10ms as correction or re-transmission of data cause delay (especially correcting which is interleaving, but as you can see  Interleave depth:          1      1 ) so it has a benefit of low delays (ms) but higher ES count.

If things were worse on Fastpath then DLM would apply Interleaving as it is the only option on ECI cabinet to correct errors as G.INP is in trial as I know, yes your line may be little better by checking a dodgy buried joint box but they probably would not do that cause it is not a problem for them to move in and check, also DLM reset I do not think it will benefit more.

May I ask how far the cabinet is from house, cause Power (dBm):               6.9      6.9 is really interesting and weird.

adsrox0r

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »

May I ask how far the cabinet is from house, cause Power (dBm):               6.9      6.9 is really interesting and weird.

Circa 450m....we think, it's underground in an old rural village so these lines are quite 'vintage'.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »

Have updated my reply with url - if you search for plusnet on that page. 

I think plusnet could change the DLM profile but that could be just people getting confused between the different naming. unless you have requested it you should be on the "best" profile. 

On mobile so can't read the image.  If you are syncing at 6db, on fastpath and have no other problems try not to dwell on the stats.

I know when plusnet ran a test on my line and updated my ticket with the result they used a  different DLM naming scheme that made me think I wasn't on the best one but as URL explains it can be deceptive.

Nb if I'm talking rubbish I'm sure someone will be  along soon to correct me ;)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »

Third reply if that screenshot gives your IP profile speed and it doesn't match your sync speed that may be something that needs to be fixed.  I can't read it and I forget the correct ratio to your sync speed so can't comment.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:53:08 PM by ktz392837 »

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »

Ah, have I misunderstood the bt 'ip profile' ? Is that not banding?

No, banding would be a line sync. of 40mb with SNRM of 10dB (just an ex.) in this case DLM actually not able to apply the default SNRM 6dB and keep service operational at the same time due to problems and faults on the line so it has to increase the SNRM to higher than 6.xdB and lower the sync. speed so the service can be kept active (this is banding) until the line is fixed then a proper DLM reset should be made so it can has a fresh look over the line after fixing or if no reset made it will take time before it allows the line to work at proper speed when everything is fine.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »

Circa 450m....we think, it's underground in an old rural village so these lines are quite 'vintage'.

Yes the lines are really in great condition, the distance can justify the 6.9dB upload power and the 6.9dB download power suggests that the noise interference on the line is minimal given the distance and there are no much lines connected in the village which would indicate low cross-talk interference.

My line is circa 80m with 14.3dB download power and 2.7dB upload power but I know there is interference on download side, but G.INP is pushed lately and interleaving is removed so things still under control.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

The line doesn't appear banded to me.

Banded lines have sync rates at fixed numbers.
A line banded at 54Mb would have a 53,999 sync and be unable to sync above that number.

Banded lines which are able to sync higher than the cap they have in place will have a high SNRM.
Your SNRM is bang on what it should be at 6.3dB.

The IP profile in the past has been around 91% of the sync rate or around 96% of the sync rate depending on the error correction used.

Your IP profile is nearer 88% which we've seen quite a lot recently.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adsrox0r

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »

Ok. So all said and done I think it amounts to 'be happy with what you've got pal'  ;D

Disheartening when you look at what the estimates think you could get....

t
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:34:08 PM by adsrox0r »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything