Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your favourite delivery service?  (Read 1411 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Your favourite delivery service?
« on: May 18, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »

What’s folk’s favourite delivery service? 

Parcelforce, gets my vote.

I’ve recently been buying a lot of stuff from RS Components which has free next day delivery with an 8.30pm cut off time.  They use Parcelforce and throughout lockdown it has always arrived next day, usually by lunchtime.  :graduate:

Another benefit is that it’s always the same driver, I guess he never takes holidays  ::).  That’s good as our house is hard to find and there’s not much turning space.  Unfamiliar drivers need to learn the manoeuvring tricks, hopefully without knocking down too many walls in the process.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Your favourite delivery service?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »

I wish more suppliers used Royal Mail of Pacelforce because if we are out (unlikely at the moment) I can just pop up to the collection office which is a walk away to the High Street and collect. Couriers are all very well but some of the depots are a long way away if I have to collect, they are OK I suppose if I get a one hour delivery slot or a tracking service which shows where the driver if and how long it might be. The other service I like is where you can deliver to a local shop to collect. The trouble with all this is there is no choice, the supplier chooses and is unlikely to provide an option.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »

Good point about depot proximity.  In our case rural, Royal Mail and Parcelforce collection points are about a 2 mile drive.   Most of the others’ depots seem to be at the other end of the county.

Our Royal Mail Postie is great, even joining in the village social activities (I can still remember a time when we had social activities).

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

DPD are light years ahead of anyone.
their app keeps you informed about your parcel right up until they are outside your door.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »

I like DPD too.

I'm not sure which delivery service Amazon sometimes uses but on some deliveries I get to see a map and how many stops they are away from me.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »

I like DPD too.

I'm not sure which delivery service Amazon sometimes uses but on some deliveries I get to see a map and how many stops they are away from me.

it depends what you're buying.
i've had amazon deliveries from DPD or using their own delivery agents.
for their own agents you can track the courier using the amazon mobile app.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

I like DHL, primarily because of a recent experience. I ordered some electronic goodies from DigiKey in the US of A, and for some reason part of the order was to be delivered by UPS and the rest was to be done by DHL. Both gave approximate delivery dates of a little over 4 days. However, the DHL was initially due on the Thursday whereas the UPS was due on the Monday. Monday came along and the DHL delivery turned up, but no sign of the UPS delivery, which for some obscure reason had been delivered to a non-specific address in Severn Beach (near Bristol) instead of where I live in Weston super Mare. This has now been rectified, but given the choice in future I'd probably avoid UPS, although I've never had problems with them before.

I guess it's a case of YYGT (Yeah, you get that !!)

Stay safe everyone

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

Amazon appear to have sub-contracted their delivery service in N.I., based in Belfast, get a lot of different vans appearing locally, always unmarked, definately not badged to any of the big brand carriers.

Service is generally very good, regularly includes Saturdays and even on occasions Sundays, tracking information is supplied and always accurate.
Delivery would very likely be even better with Prime which I currently don't subscribe to.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »

Service is generally very good, regularly includes Saturdays and even on occasions Sundays, tracking information is supplied and always accurate.
Delivery would very likely be even better with Prime which I currently don't subscribe to.

We ALWAYS get Sunday deliveries, pantry boxes in particular almost always end up showing up on Sunday.  It actually bugs my mum as she would rather have one day where she can be sure we get no deliveries, but you can't opt-out.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken closing [/quote] tag.]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:16:23 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »

I think I did come across an option somewhere on Amazon, where you can ask them not to deliver on particular days such as Sunday...

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »

We ALWAYS get Sunday deliveries, pantry boxes in particular almost always end up showing up on Sunday.  It actually bugs my mum as she would rather have one day where she can be sure we get no deliveries, but you can't opt-out.

Probably to expectation on the "mainland", however in N.I. we don't normally get that level of service from couriers.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »

DHL have just gone up in my estimation, paid for service, but China to UK in less than 48 hours.

The tracking was fun to watch..

Shenzhen
Leipzig
Heathrow
Luton
Heathrow again for customs clearance (hopefully not by air  :o)
UK Local depot
Out for delivery

:)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »

If you are a prime customer, there is actually somewhere you can change this. 
unfortunately its not very obvious and you have to look quite closely at the options.  I cant recall now where it was as i first found out more by accident whren exploring all the options.   You can set a nominated date and sometimes there is even th option to set it as normal service -ie the 5ish day - f youre not in a hurry  and they will credit your account with tokens whch you can use for other things ie free books/music
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »

Amazon appear to have sub-contracted their delivery service in N.I., based in Belfast, get a lot of different vans appearing locally, always unmarked, definately not badged to any of the big brand carriers.

It sounds as if your parcels might be delivered by Amazon Logistics (their delivery arm)  who are one of the top 4 delivery firms in the UK (by size).

I believe the order page says if an order is being delivered by them

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »

Amazon Logistics is not technically a delivery "company".
they use sub-contractors and partner companies to make the deliveries. they don't actually directly employ any delivery person.
Pages: [1] 2

anything