Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC problems  (Read 3384 times)

rmk

FTTC problems
« on: May 16, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on a very strange issue with my FTTC.

Firstly, we're in suburbia in the UK, and we believe the line length to the cabinet is 0.8 miles, but there is aluminium cable in the line, resulting in increased losses.  Hence, we see sync speeds around 10 to 12Mbps down but only 600kbps up. So, this is not a great FTTC line for speed.  Historically, the line has been stable, but has always had interleaving applied on the downstream side.

The cabinet is Infineon, and our modem is a Draytek Vigor 130, connected to an Openreach face plate on the master socket.  This has been fine for many years. We've had fTTC since 2012, originally a Huawei HG613, but changed at least four years back to the Draytek which seemed to sync faster.

On occasion, due to the Interleave, it appears that the DLM would decide to try removing all interleave every so often to see if the line would "improve" - and then we'd go through a patch where the line wasn't as stable, but would eventually settle down as it decided to reinstate the interleaving.

Back in March 2020, we had several days of no service - the FTTC was in sync, but there was no response to the PPPoE frames - and required a line card to be swapped.  The replacement line card reduced our speed slightly, both upstream and downstream - downstream became around 10Mbps, upstream became around 591kbps.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, DLM decided to remove the interleave - and that is when the current problems started.  The line won't stabilise.  We get lots of CRC, ES, SES, FECS being reported by the Vigor 130.  We get many resyncs a day.  Sometimes the speed goes down, sometimes it goes up.  The noise margin doesn't improve.  The "attainable" speeds that the Vigor 130 gives tend to be initially just above the current speed, but will fall below, sometimes for considerable periods of time.

Interleave has returned, but at random depths.

Unfortunately, I wasn't graphing the line's performance, but I have recently started in detail, not only the stats from "vdsl status" but also "vdsl status more", and I've also started to log DMT-style SNR and bit loadings.  The Draytek doesn't give attenuation per tone, but gives "gain" - and reading the specs, this should be between k-14.5dB and 2.5dB for a tone with bits > 0 - but I regularly see figures outside of that.  (is that one of the BT modifications?)

I have wandered around with a radio tuned to 612kHz... found there to be noise emanating from the Vigor 130's wall wart, so replaced that - no difference in modem behaviour.  The area around the modem is quiet when everything is unplugged, and only the barest minimum is now connected, nothing that sounds like REIN though  The modem has been re-sited to be as far away from any interference as possible.  I've checked the connections - all seems fine and secure, no effects from moving the DSL cable around.  Tried 17070 quiet line test - I can hear the VDSL signal faintly through the phone, I can hear the single tones it uses while training (if it's training while I'm on quiet line), and then when it goes into showtime - reminds me of an old 56k modem.

In any case, I attach a few files.  First two are from my hacked-up dmt-ux tool to log the line profile.  The "attenuation" is not, it's actually the gain figure scaled and offset (= 85 + gi * 5).
The first is the line profile just before the last resync and then after the resync.  The third is my grafana dashboard logging of almost every statistic that the modem gives me (so is rather big in terms of pixel size, sorry!)  I've included the last 7 days of stats, so you can see when the interleave was removed.

One interesting detail is that occasionally when I run the KBD tests, it'll report back that the consistency check has failed - it claims there's a mismatch between the DSL and BRAS. Re-run the test, and the problem has gone, and it says no fault found.  BT's voice line checks come back clear.

I suspect there are some SHINE events (I've seen three today), one where the SNR dropped (somehow) to -2dB, but didn't cause the link to fail... which makes me question whether the figures that Draytek's firmware is reporting have any real basis in reality?

I'm rather concerned that reporting this to my ISP will end up with an Openreach charge due to "no fault found" (because they can't identify the problem).

Anyone seen anything similar to this - does it look like the DLM is operating as it should - note that we are now at a faster download rate than a week ago before the interleaving was removed... despite all the Error seconds and resyncs - kitz DLM information suggests that MTBR and MTBE should be red/orange) ?

My next idea is to try another VDSL modem to see whether it's a modem issue, but that'll be a while.

Thanks for any comments.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:43:29 AM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Tried 17070 quiet line test - I can hear the VDSL signal faintly through the phone, I can hear the single tones it uses while training (if it's training while I'm on quiet line), and then when it goes into showtime - reminds me of an old 56k modem.

You have a defective centralised filter. Remove the SSFP and try with a rat's-tail microfilter in the "test" socket. The quiet line test should be completely quiet.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rmk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

You have a defective centralised filter. Remove the SSFP and try with a rat's-tail microfilter in the "test" socket. The quiet line test should be completely quiet.

Thanks. Here's an update:

I replaced the Vigor 130's power adapter at 19:50, the line continued showing various errors and resyncs.

After a resync at 22:42, the statistics calmed down, the attainable rates, SNR, and upstream PSD stabilised.  There was a resync event at 5:40am which increased the interleave on both the US and DS (to 11 and 405).

Unfortunately, I don't have a micro-filter to replace the FP with, so I've gone with an old straight-through Multitech BT601 to RJ11 adapter into the test socket.  There is a marginal increase in upstream speed, but nothing else visible in the statistics.

So, it looks like the line had pre-empted me posting to this forum, and the idea of changing the SSFP and sorted itself out!  Heisenbug!

rmk

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »

I think my response may have been premature - it just resync'd again, speed down, bit loadings all down, SNR down, interleave reduced, various tones have no bits allocated - much like the first image above.  No ES recorded during the last session or immediately after the resync.

Perversely, it's now slower than the "backup" ADSL service we have on our other (longer) line - 7296kbps/1056kbps!

And, while writing this post... another resync.

I've dug out the old HG613 with original firmware I had when Openreach first installed the FTTC, and if it does prove to remain unstable, I'll try switching back to that - but of course I won't have the line statistics.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »

I've dug out the old HG613 with original firmware I had when Openreach first installed the FTTC, and if it does prove to remain unstable, I'll try switching back to that - but of course I won't have the line statistics.

I assume you mean a HG612.

You can very easily unlock these to obtain stats.

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612hacking.htm
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »

In any case, I attach a few files.  First two are from my hacked-up dmt-ux tool to log the line profile.  The "attenuation" is not, it's actually the gain figure scaled and offset (= 85 + gi * 5).
The first is the line profile just before the last resync and then after the resync.  The third is my grafana dashboard logging of almost every statistic that the modem gives me (so is rather big in terms of pixel size, sorry!)  I've included the last 7 days of stats, so you can see when the interleave was removed.
Cool stats panels.  As a fellow Vigor 130 user - are you able to share the stats graphing work you've done?  It would save me some time I can spend not neglecting the kids! :)

rmk

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »

Cool stats panels.  As a fellow Vigor 130 user - are you able to share the stats graphing work you've done?  It would save me some time I can spend not neglecting the kids! :)

Bear in mind that the Grafana stuff is quite a bit of infrastructure - perl scripts to collect data and feed them into an influx database, and then grafana itself with a web server.
See grafana.com.  Debian packages available.

My modified dmt-ux is all C, but it's very much a developing situation - as will be evident from the updated graphs below.  These are just around yet another resync event.

I've sorted out the "attenuation" graph, and added the gain information more sanely.  I've also added the quiet line noise.

These graphs are with only the Vigor 130 connected to the line without any filter.

rmk

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »

An interesting observation from the last two days:

- The line stabilised around 22:45 on Friday evening, remained stable over night, only suffering one resync at about 05:40 to increase interleave - which I assume is DLM action.
- I removed the SSFP at 09:04 on Saturday morning, causing a resync. This also reduced the upstream speed to about 500kbps.
- The line remained stable until 11:04 on Saturday morning, when it resync'd with lower downstream, and started suffering more CRC, ES and resync events up to 12:10.
- The line seems stable again up until 13:40, when the CRC, ES and resyncs return.
- At 19:06, at the last resync event, it seems the line stabilised again.

What I notice from the augmented data I've captured from the line profile (see attachments) is that across the last resync event, the quiet line noise has changed by 20dB, particularly at the lower frequencies (between about 157kHz and 2.2MHz) which seems to be the range of downstream tones that have reduced SNR.

The conclusion I'm coming to is that the line and cabling is all okay, but there's an interference issue - someone along the path of the line is generating wideband interference that is somehow coupling into the line.  That shouldn't be possible if it's a twisted pair, but having seen some of Openreach's joints around here, the majority of joints are just a tangle of individual wires - line pairs are not twisted together.

I've prepared the HG612 ready to replace the Draytek, but before I do, I've updated my dmt-ux hacks to also be able to extract the same information from this modem too, coupling it up to my 8Mbps ADSL line, so that I have some real stats to play with - I've had the ADSL line without a modem for quite some hours now.  The interesting point may be to see if the noise floor on both lines change together.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »

The conclusion I'm coming to is that the line and cabling is all okay, but there's an interference issue - someone along the path of the line is generating wideband interference that is somehow coupling into the line.  That shouldn't be possible if it's a twisted pair, but having seen some of Openreach's joints around here, the majority of joints are just a tangle of individual wires - line pairs are not twisted together.

That was something I was going to mention. Poor AC balance can result in significant interference ingress. Given that the pairs are aluminium, it will be very difficult to manipulate the "tails" in the joints (to maintain the twists) without the wires fracturing, especially with sufficiently aged cables. Metal fatigue would described the situation.

rmk

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »

That was something I was going to mention. Poor AC balance can result in significant interference ingress. Given that the pairs are aluminium, it will be very difficult to manipulate the "tails" in the joints (to maintain the twists) without the wires fracturing, especially with sufficiently aged cables. Metal fatigue would described the situation.

The only reason I know that there is some aluminium is that:

1. The distance from the cabinet to here along the suspected duct route (as described by various Openreach engineers) is about 0.8 miles, yet the attenuation does not match this.  The usual calculation puts the line length at around 4km on up-to-8Mbit ADSL.
2. A couple of winters ago, they replaced a stretch of cable coming into the road - and I asked what was going on... they were replacing a troublesome stretch of aluminium cable, and I know that our two lines went through that.
3. The higher frequency tones have always been very poor.

We're luckily in an area where Openreach has been rolling out FTTP through the lockdown - during early April, they fixed the fiber manifolds to the telegraph poles, and I've recently had an email to say that the service is available (I suspect subject to Openreach's policy on entering homes given the Covid-19 issue.)

So, I'm in a quandary about whether to ditch FTTC on the basis that it's going to be extremely difficult to get this problem resolved, and switch to FTTP instead, which won't be subject to electrical interference, plus should be way faster than what we currently get out of the FTTC line.  It makes sense from that point of view, but needs research to find the right ISP.

Does anyone know what the current deal is with battery backup on the ONT, and whether they come with the POTS connector - I see some ISPs are levying a monthly fee if you have FTTP without taking their "PSTN" service.  (Namely Enta aka CityFibre.)

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »

Does anyone know what the current deal is with battery backup on the ONT, and whether they come with the POTS connector . . .

The battery backup units are no longer supplied. Anyone wishing to have an ONT remaining energised during an electricity mains supply failure will need to provide their own UPS.

The current ONTs (Huawei HG8110H) are described as 1 + 1 (one LAN port and one POTS port) but at some time in the future only 1 + 0 ONTs will be installed by Openreach.

rmk

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »

I thought I'd attach some of my grafana panels to show what's happened over the last 48 hours - during the last 20 minutes there have been multiple resyncs.

I re-ran the KBD intrusive connection test, which came back with "DSL and BRAS profile mismatch has been identified. Please pass to BTW for further diagnostics."

Unfortunately, running those tests provokes a resync event, which seems to clears the profile mismatch - but it seems to be the only way that gets reported.

I've contacted my ISP (Enta) and will wait to hear what they come back with.

rmk

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »

Here's a comparison between the Vigor 130 (20200517-2201.png) and the HG613 (20200517-2216.png).

Note that the HG613 gives fuller hlog and qln.  It also seems to omit tones between 33 and 65 or so, which means the downstream bitrate is lower.

So, everything at my end has been either removed where possible or replaced.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »

As j0hn said in Reply #4 it is a Huawei EchoLife HG612 not a HG613.  :)

rmk

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »

As j0hn said in Reply #4 it is a Huawei EchoLife HG612 not a HG613.  :)
Yes, I keep typo-ing it, sorry.

The HG612 just resync'd at the higher SNR, DS bitrate of 12.77Mbps.  Quiet line noise lower by about 20dB, but not as clear cut as with the Vigor 130.  From that, I can predict that it'll now be stable for a while, probably until tomorrow morning - I guess when the interference source starts again.
Pages: [1] 2

anything