Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Switching off router.  (Read 3677 times)

cttm2629

• Just arrived
Switching off router.
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »

Hi, can any of you very knowledgeable people advise me, I have one of them energy saving adaptors, where I have everything to do with my pc connected, when I switch of my pc at night, it also switches off the router.Do I need to have the router plugged into another power point not connected to the energy saver, as I have been advised to leave the router switched on at all times.Any advice will be very much appreciated.Tony.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Switching off router.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »

Hi and welcome.

Routers are designed to run 24/7 and that's what most people do, but there's really no reason why you shouldn't switch it off at night.
  Eric

cttm2629

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:33 PM »

Thank you roseway, what I was thinking of doing is to plug the router into another electrical socket that is independent of the enery saving adaptor, what do you reckon? as I am new to all this as I only had a modem in the past. Thanks again for your reply.Tony.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

I think most people here leave their routers on 24/7.

Particularly if you are on maxdsl and once your line is stable, it can help keep the IPprofile stable...  but at the end of the day its a matter of choice if you turn it off or not.

If, as it sounds, that your ISP has advised you to keep the router switched on, then yes you will have to plug the router into a different electrical socket and bypass the energy saving socket.  As soon as the adapter senses that the PC is turned off then everything else plugged into that adapter will power down.

Hmmm  actually just thinking about it..  Im wondering how it powers down.. and if the router has chance to send the "dying gasp" signal to the DLM.
Its probably NOT a good idea to have a router attached to one of these adapters if youre on Maxdsl, because the router wont go through a proper shutdown proceedure, and could dupe the DLM into thinking youve lost sync for other reasons. :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

cttm2629

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »

Thank you kitz, I have a NetgearDG834 and my ISP is AOL, my ISP has not advised me to keep the router on 24/7, it is just me getting some advice from a friend of mine. So I will plug the router into a different electrical outlet and leave the rest on the energy saving adapter. Tony.
PS, I have no idea as to what Maxdsl is so I can't comment on that. :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:28 PM »

yw.

Maxdsl is the "up to 8Mb" product, when you synchronise at the best speed you can, each and every time you connect to the exchange.
(Your router and the DSLAM at the exchange negotiate what it thinks is the best/highest speed for your line).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tecktalk

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »

i too wana knwoo.. answer for thatt..!!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »

1. Hmmm  actually just thinking about it..  Im wondering how it powers down..

2. and if the router has chance to send the "dying gasp" signal to the DLM.

1. Very abruptly.
2. I doubt it very much because what has been simulated is a power failure.

However, I don't use ADSL/DSL etc, as I use "Cable" and have never had a problem with shutting down my modem using this method. (powerDown adaptor)

anything