Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stay Fast Guarantee  (Read 799 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Stay Fast Guarantee
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:11:55 PM »

I was just looking at the latest offers that BT have for me while reading the latest bill.

I noticed the 'Stay Fast Guarantee' which for me seems to be set at 35Mb on what is the old upto 80Mbps package i.e. Fibre 2.

From what I can gather from the explanation of what Stay Fast Guarantee is, it seems to be a minimum speed guarantee and if my line was to drop below it they would work to fix the problem.

But what I don't understand is why the Stay Fast Guarantee is lower than the package I'm on.

In my view it should be set to at least the 10% bottom of the speeds that are projected, in my case the projected speeds are 43Mb to 69Mb.

The whole speed estimation thing is a bit of a mess in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mixing all the FTTC packages together and charging a set price. But while they are creating package levels then I would have expected their guarantees to also be related to the estimated speeds for that package.

Just my little rant  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Stay Fast Guarantee
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »

I fail to see what the issue is. Consumer grade broadband services have always been been contended, better to have a minimum speed guarantee than none at all. On the variable 'up to' services (adsl/vdsl) there are so many factors outside the CPs control that they will always err on the side of caution and provide a conservative min speed guarantee to cover their backs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:08:12 PM by psychopomp1 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Stay Fast Guarantee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:43:23 AM »

BT offer the Stay Fast Guarantee which imo is better than the usual MGAL (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line speed) you get with FTTC.

MGAL is the minimum guarantee sync that ISP's usually quote when signing up and refers to the sync speed.

BT's Stay Fast Guarantee measures throughput to the hub.
They also give you £20 if they can't fix any issues that mean the line doesn't meet the guarantee.

As pointed out above residential broadband is a contended service.
For an ISP to offer guaranteed throughput is a good thing.
If you want a higher guaranteed minimum there are plenty of very expensive business/leased lines with SLA's that will give you this.

Their Stay Fast Guarantee on their 1gig FTTP (1000/115) is 455Mb.
That's a very high guarantee for a residential ISP.
It's higher than the rates that OpenReach guarantee for the service.

Check their other FTTP Stay Fast Guarantees

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-for-full-fibre

It's something to be applauded imo.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything