Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VE day  (Read 588 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
VE day
« on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:43 AM »

Is today the 75th anniversary of VE Day? I wish I had asked my mother and father what they remembered about VE Day and I’m so sorry to say that I have now missed my chance, bless them both. I will ask Janet’s mum then, who is 93, if my arithmetic is correct.

Today Janet and a lot of her friends in the village are standing in the road in Heasta, keeping spaced a safe distance apart, to sing WW2 hits.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VE day
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »

Is today the 75th anniversary of VE Day?

Yes, indeed, it is.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »

I’m well aware of my own late parents’ wartime experience, having taken Dad to Normandy on a D-Day reunion trip with the Royal British Legion for 65th anniversary.   I met some amazing people with amazing stories and I defy anybody to tour the Normandy beaches  and cemeteries without shedding a tear.

Yet, I’m not convinced about VE-day celebrations.   Victory celebrations in 1945 must have been mind-blowing and who could deny the opportunity to those who’d lived through the war.  But shouldn’t we be moving on?   Celebrating the outbreak of peace, rather than calling it a ‘Victory day’?

Of the amazing D-Day veterans I met in normandy, glad to report none seemed to hold a grudge any more.

Just my opinion, never one to conform.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 08:39:52 PM »

I’ve never viewed these sorts of anniversaries as celebrations. I suppose our later generation’s views are formed by those in our families who were there.

My granddad fought in Burma. He wrote poems, but never, ever talked about what he went through. He wore a poppy and shed a tear every Remembrance Sunday.

My Nan was a child during the war and only had a few early memories. She lost three brothers in the war, and likewise never talked about it much.

What I learnt from them both was to be deeply suspicious of jingoism and simple answers to big problems.

I’ll be eternally grateful for that generation’s sacrifice and forever horrified that they had to make it.  Granddad was a gentle man who was put through hell.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »

On our Government approved walk yesterday, We walked passed a 'Nuclear Bunker', There was some Cyclists near by and some other walkers, so I pointed out that it was VE day and told them they are very close to an old WW2 nuclear bunker and told them it was a communications post.
They were very interested in it and thanked me  :).

My farther worked for RR Derby (Rolls-Royce)  on the aero engines during WW2, going to different RAF stations (Airfields) around the British Isles servicing the Merlin aero engines etc.

This was not without it's risks.
He told me one time he was driving back from one RAF base and he noticed a 'Gerry' plane (German Plane) coming to wards him, So driving an open top MG sports car, he put his foot down and tried to get out of it's way, Hearing Machine gun firing  :-\  he though his time was up  :o but now going down the road very fast and was still alive though he better slow down as the plane had now gone.

It was not until he got back to the Derby RR factory on Nightingale Road do he notice Machine gun bullet holes in the Boot  :o

I still have Three WW2 metal helmets, 3 Gas masks, gas mask bags, A Lancaster Bomber plane compass and direction finding aerial and RAF earphones .  ::)
Also Two (decommissioned)   WW1 9lbs Bombs dated 1914 .  :-\
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.