Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Surprise  (Read 2549 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
FTTP Surprise
« on: May 07, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »

I had a nice FTTP Surprise when I looked down my long drive to the lane and I could see the back end of a BTOR van with some guys (two metres apart or more  :)) they were feeding what to me looked like firbe in to the ducts.
Being nosy I went to ask what they were doing and yes they were doing the first stage of the fibre installation.   ;D

I have stopped on ADSL2 knowing that one day Full Fibre would come to our village.

Edit 1.. I installed BT supplied ducts down our drive when I first started to build this house so that should make it easier to install full fibre.

Edit 2 .. Do we have any 'checker' where I can find out more details, BT full fibre finder shows nothing yet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:39:42 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP Surprise
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »

Hi

It could be FTTP on Demand where someone has ordered it and may only cover a few houses or related to a leased line. 

If BT is saying nothing is coming soon and you are using their own checker then that is probably as best you can get.

Have you tried downloading the spreadsheet of areas being upgraded by Openreach to see if your area is included?

Rural villages
Towns and cities

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:50:23 AM by PhilipD »

busterboy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »

Edit 1.. I installed BT supplied ducts down our drive when I first started to build this house so that should make it easier to install full fibre.

Edit 2 .. Do we have any 'checker' where I can find out more details, BT full fibre finder shows nothing yet.

Checker won't show anything until the job is commissioned.

It should say something similar to what I get if you are lucky. :fingers:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:43:55 PM »

Hi

Have you tried downloading the spreadsheet of areas being upgraded by Openreach to see if your area is included?

Rural villages
Towns and cities

Regards

Phil

Those PDFs seem rather incomplete, as it mentions (for example) 4 exchanges for Sheffield but only three listed in the document.  The fourth would be mine which should be listed in the currently building into column.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »

Hi

It could be FTTP on Demand where someone has ordered it and may only cover a few houses or related to a leased line. 

If BT is saying nothing is coming soon and you are using their own checker then that is probably as best you can get.

I wouldn't go by the BT Wholesale Checker, works are proceeding well around here (I became aware back in February), and I've recently had an email from Openreach confirming we're planned for FTTP after registering interest, but the checker simply says "FTTP not available"

This seems more reliable https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first scroll down about 2/3 of the page to the map and select your nearest location, any will actually do but then you need to move the map around to where you are.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:01:16 PM »

Rural villages

Regards

Phil

You need to remove 'http://www.ttps.com//' as you get a 404 error !.

My village is not on there but the next town is, I forgot to say on my first post BTOR chap said this morning they are doing a FTTP install in our village.
I registered my interest this morning and found tonight there response.

Great news!

Your address is part of our Ultrafast fibre rollout programme. We'll keep you updated throughout the process as your address progresses through our build plan.

These are the details we have passed on to our technical team to get started.

:)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

digbey

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »

Those PDFs seem rather incomplete, as it mentions (for example) 4 exchanges for Sheffield but only three listed in the document.  The fourth would be mine which should be listed in the currently building into column.

Looks like we both have bad news in the footnotes to that pdf.

"‡ Mickleover and Intake have been delayed due to unforeseen operational obstacles."

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 05:30:28 AM »

Looks like we both have bad news in the footnotes to that pdf.

"‡ Mickleover and Intake have been delayed due to unforeseen operational obstacles."

Ah I didn't go looking too hard for the footnote as it was next to a different exchange.  Seems they don't know how to use footnotes correctly as surely it should have said INTAKE with that character at the side to explain the delay.  :'(

Frustrating, I was kinda hoping I would have it before my Plusnet contract expired in September (probably optimistic anyway) as the price goes up and obviously I do not want to tie myself into another 18 months if FTTP will be available within that period.

I wish they would be more open about what an "operational obstacle" is.  I know when Digital Region rolled out they had issues laying new ducting, but its hard to see how Openreach would have such a problem with existing ducting.

I just hope its not idiots attacking the workers thinking they are hooking up 5G.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:52:41 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »

As my BT ducts come into my internal equipment cupboard can the CSP (Customer Splice Point) be in-side ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »

As my BT ducts come into my internal equipment cupboard can the CSP (Customer Splice Point) be in-side ?

No.
They will feed the fibre from the CSP in to this cupboard for you though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »

If it's Sheffield a likely cause is the city council refusing to allow Openreach to dig.

They totally poleaxed any plans VM had to do a significant expansion, which worked out well for Castleford, Doncaster and Barnsley.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »

No.
They will feed the fibre from the CSP in to this cupboard for you though.

I am hoping that the duct from the road chamber to my house (that goes into the equipment cupboard) is going to be used for the fibre, that is where the bt underground cable comes in now.
An 'Aerial feed' is out of the question.

If I remember it is grey plastic duct about 1.5" Dia, BT gave it to me to put in my 'Supplies' trench from the specially built for me road side chamber on our lane.

We live in a 'Special Conservation Area' so would not be allowed to put an 'ugly' box on the front of the house !.

No other 'Meter type' box's are allowed !.

Will someone come around to survey the job. ?

As I understand there are only a few ISP's doing FTTP, do we know what sort of price per month is ?.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:05:44 PM by tickmike »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »

If it's Sheffield a likely cause is the city council refusing to allow Openreach to dig.

They totally poleaxed any plans VM had to do a significant expansion, which worked out well for Castleford, Doncaster and Barnsley.

That's disturbing, seeing as 3/4 of my street is VM so I likely would have been part of an expansion.

Is this because of the Streets Ahead scheme "supposedly" not allowing holes to be dug for none essential services and the ones that do are supposed to completely replace the whole section rather than patch it? Something I might add I've seen zero evidence of them sticking to and the quality of Ameys word is so poor its kinda redundant anyway.

If you have any sources for this information I can think of a few Facebook groups who would love to know.  Heck, I think my MP would love to know.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »

So town - Stone, Staffs in on the list for FTTP. We have a VM presence in the town and in my road. Are Openreach intending to provide FTTP regardless of VM's presence or would it be purely a commercial decision?

I use VM and it works just fine but some competition is always good for prices.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »

Keep to the subject . Do Not high jack my post !.
Pages: [1] 2