Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beaten up  (Read 563 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Beaten up
« on: May 06, 2020, 05:07:24 AM »

Pangur Bán has really been beaten up by Thomas, on more than one occasion in the past couple of months. If the various cats bump into Thomas in a bottleneck point, a doorway or a corridor, then there is usually trouble. Thomas is perhaps frightened, but Janet says that if the other cat flees then Thomas will chase him or her. Janet’s theory is that Thomas’s hunting behaviour is so deeply instinctual that it makes him chase anything that runs, even if it is a cat, as opposed to a bunny, a bird or a rodent etc. I thought things had improved, but on one of the most recent occasions fur was flying.

There is hope though. Pangur Bán will hide under the bed on hearing Somhairle’s growl if Thomas enters the bedroom, unless Pangur Bán is already really cuddled up to Somhairle in such a state that Pangur Bán feels warm, comforted and secure. But tonight, for the first time ever, Thomas jumped up onto the bed on the corner by my feet, while Somhairle was sitting on my lap and Somhairle growled but didn’t even get up, and Pangur Bán, who was by Janet’s arm at the other side of the bed, did not run and hide; he just made sort-of chirruping alarm calls warning about Thomas’s presence. But both boys behaved bravely, and Thomas was good too, he just stayed where he was on the bed near Somhairle for a moment and then went to the ‘snack bar’, a tray with dry crunchy cat food in it.

I wish I could help with Pangur Bán’s fear. Buidheag too is the same. If progress is being made, it is very slow.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Beaten up
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »

Reminds me of my own one and only cat, a few decades ago.   She was just a few months old, a playful, curious kitten.   Then, for a few weeks, I took in a couple of friends to stay while they looked for a flat.  They had two mature cats, much bigger than the kitten.

A curious instinct overcame the kitten.   After a couple of minutes introducing the three cats to one another, seemingly amicably, the tiny kitten suddenly emitted a fearsome growl.   She then chased the two newcomers all around the house, hissing, snarling and swiping, until both of them retreated upstairs.

For the remainder of the time my friends stayed, their two cats never again dared to come downstairs, entering and exiting the house via an upstairs window and convenient shed roof.  Kitten seemed to tolerate that and, as if by some unwritten agreement, never ventured upstairs until the visitors had moved on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:13:40 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:18:24 PM »

Pangur Bán has really been beaten up by Thomas, on more than one occasion in the past couple of months.

Oops. I thought they were all getting on well, together.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »

@Burakkucat They had this big setback a few weeks ago. But that aside, they will all share the bed as long as it is Thomas at the humans’ heads’ end and the two boys on my lap, which is always the arrangement.

@7LM I would love to have had the chance to meet your kitten; what a character!

A bit worried tonight as both Janet and I have seen that Beileag, who is now eleven years old gone, did not seem to be able to jump up onto the bed. She just looked up over the side, peering at me, wanting some cat treats, that’s why. Janet was really worried about Beileag’s hip joints or something similar. Thank goodness though, Janet now reports that she has seen Beileag jump up onto something in the office later on this evening.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:05:51 PM by Weaver »

anything