Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backups  (Read 4598 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Backups
« on: November 19, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »

I would like to create an image of C:\ (Approx 15Gb with 1Gb used).

As far as I can see most Imaging software will image the whole partition, so that you end up with a 15Gb file most of which is blank space.

Does anybody know of a programme that will just image (or backup by another method) the data?

What I want to achieve is to be able to restore Windows & programme files when it all goes pear shaped again, without re-installing everything from scratch.

Data files are on D:\ and so are unaffected unless the HD actually dies :-X ( my old Fujitsu actually did die, luckily it was in somebody else's PC at the time  >:D )
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Backups
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »

Contrary to what you said, most imaging software will only backup the data, so your file will be 1GB large, not 15GB. Symantec Ghost definitely works that way, and you can even compress the image, so depending what's on the disk, you might save 10-20% space.

Newer versions of Ghost have the ability to directly back up to CD / DVD from your hard drive, which could be handy.
Chris

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:27:50 PM »

I'm used to Everex tape backup, went bust years ago.  If you specified an image backup the tape would grind away for hours, then inform you that the image was too big to fit the tape  :-X

Found Ghost 2003 on Amazon for about ?9 new.  I don't need the later versions for W98.  Will give it a try.

Thanks
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »

Hello
Ghost should work ok (yes like Chris said it only copies what's on the disk and not the empty space), But there are some Free ones ( Linux based) .Try 'goolge' for them.
From Michael. 
Ps. If you have not used Ghost before you should find there is a Tutorial on the cd of how to use it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything