Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP install process - equipment location  (Read 4029 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP install process - equipment location
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »

If the current copper feed comes via telegraph poles then the fibre feed should be fed via the same poles.
If the current copper feed is underground then fibre is usually fed underground also.

In some areas where the copper feed is direct buried they occasionally erect new telegraph poles..

Also the current master socket is in the loft space, well eaves space, and that's where I want it to remain

If there's power available in the loft for the ONT and the loft space is safe to enter with adequate flooring then OpenReach shouldn't have a problem.

They won't go near lofts that aren't floored or don't have sufficient space (if they need to crawl from 1 end to the other).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »

What happens when the current phone line is off a pole? Mine is and there is no way across our front garden because it is 95% concrete. Also the current master socket is in the loft space, well eaves space, and that's where I want it to remain.

Stuart

As John says they will almost certainly run yours overhead (why dig when you can use existing poles), in fact in Cliffsend you can now see coiled up ropes at the bottom of the poles.

My brother wanted his master socket in the loft, whilst the engineer didn't want to go in the loft he was more than happy for my brother to pull the cable through, and then the engineer stood on the loft ladder and connected it up and fixed it to a close by beam.

You wouldn't really want the ONT in your loft though as it's not a nice place for electronic equipment due to extremes of temperature.

Not ideal no, but it will in all likely hood be perfectly fine. I've had a Edimax Pro WAP1750 up there since October 2014 and an inverter (currently 42c) for our solar panels since December 2015
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »

Actually it's not really in the loft, we live in a chalet bungalow so we have two upstairs bedrooms with eaves cupboards and our existing master socket is in the north facing eaves cupboard so it does not get that hot. The engineer would not have to go far in because it would be mounted just inside the cupboard about 3 inches round the corner of the door frame! I'd have to reinstate the power socket I used to have when I had my ISDN connection for work back in 1998!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 12:18:47 AM »

Not ideal no, but it will in all likely hood be perfectly fine. I've had a Edimax Pro WAP1750 up there since October 2014 and an inverter (currently 42c) for our solar panels since December 2015

My friend has his cable modem in the loft, I'm honestly amazed it hasn't fried as its baking in the summer.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Hi

I would also suggest an ONT in the loft is more likely prone to issues related to dust, both from any insulation and what arrives in from outside as part of the roof space ventilation.  The optical parts are not hermetically sealed and dirt and dust will get in to where it shouldn't.  In addition the heat convention through the ONT will end up coating the inside in glass fibres and dirt, this could also cause problems with overheating and changing the capacitance of components on the board causing issues.

A loft space isn't the best place for sensitive electronics that aren't designed for that environment, and the domestic ONT boxes are open to the air and designed for a domestic living space.  I'm surprised BT agree to install them in a loft.

Regards

Phil

matthew413

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 10:10:58 PM »

Just to close this out, the engineer was able to run a brown cable under the lip of the door. It’s about as discreet as I could’ve hoped.  FTTP in and working perfectly.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »

That looks like a nice, neat, installation. Only those who know (and deliberately set out to look) will see the fibre cable.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]