Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP install process - equipment location  (Read 4034 times)

matthew413

• Just arrived
FTTP install process - equipment location
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »

Hi all,

I'm slowly inching towards getting FTTP installed to replace our 1KM DSL line.  The pavement on our road was dug up and fibre lain over a year ago but for some reason only seven of the thirty houses it runs past were able to order it.  I eventually found an email address to log a ticket with Openreach who have since enabled my house, but none of my neighbours.  Strange way to run a business.  I then ordered an upgrade from ADSL to FTTP with Zen.

We had a team here from Kelly this morning (7:30am!) who have dug up the drive and installed some ducting with a pull rope.  They were working with their faces inches from another with no PPE which surprised me.  I guess the next step will be an Openreach engineer whenever they are allowed inside people's houses again.

I am interested to know how flexible Openreach are with installing the indoor equipment.  The new ducting appears outside our front door, which is of no use as there's no power near there.  Ideally I'd like the equipment installing in one of the rooms upstairs, but that would require quite a long cable run around the front of the house (hopefully near the ground), then up the side of the house.  Has anyone had an install route similar?

Thanks
Matthew

matthew413

• Just arrived
Re: FTTP install process - equipment location
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:13:56 PM »

Attached a photo; will they be able to route the fibre below the door? I suspect not :(

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »

Hi

Typically they will drill a hole through the wall into the house to run the fibre inside, they will usually run it inside to where you want it, up to a certain maximum distance, and fibre can usually be run around the side of the house.  I don't think they would take it under the door as it would be prone to damage there. 

You will need a plug socket within a metre of the ONT, and you will also need to have close by the ISPs router, or you can use your own.  The ONT is screwed to the wall and you will not be able to move it after it is installed, so if installing into a room that may have a change of use later it could become inconvenient, i.e getting in the way of placing furniture or prone to being tampered with by the rooms occupant (an inquisitive child perhaps).  I suppose Openreach would always come and move it for you at a cost.

You can of course place your router anywhere but it would need running Ethernet cable from the ONT to where you want the router. 

Regards

Phil

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 05:15:18 PM »

The engineers can be flexible with where you want the ONT installed but within reason.

Upstairs AND round the back of the property might be pushing it as the engineer has a set time to complete the job.

It may depend on what type of deployment method they are doing in your area and how nice an engineer you get.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »

If you have an external CSP fixed on your outside wall, the cabling limit from the CSP to the ONT is 30 metres which is enough for most people.

If you have connectorized fibre, the limit is usually 160m from the DP to the ONT but in special cases this can be extended to a few hundred metres.

Either way, Openreach will usually install the ONT to a location of your choice.

matthew413

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »

Thanks all - 30 metres would be plenty, I just think it's going to be a bit of an eyesore if they have to run it under the sill of the door to get to the left hand side, but there is no use bringing it in to any of the rooms on the right hand side of the house.

matthew413

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »

Another engineer turned up this morning to pull the cable through and mount the CSP. Out of curiosity does anyone know what the handwritten numbers inside mean?  He said he had tested the connection so I assume it’s related to that.

[Moderator edited to rotate the image by 90 degrees, clockwise.]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:37:44 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 11:51:51 PM »

Interesting. To me, that is a new style of CSP.

As for the figures --

07 / 05 / 2020 <--- Today's date.
1310 - 24.78     <--- The TX wavelength (from your ONT to the OLT), 1310 nm.
1550 - 24.78     <--- The RX wavelength (from the OLT to your ONT), 1550 nm.

I don't have any idea as to the meaning of the two 24.78 figures. Perhaps Black Sheep might be able to assist?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »

They did not mount the CSP very level  :-\
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »

Interesting. To me, that is a new style of CSP.

As for the figures --

07 / 05 / 2020 <--- Today's date.
1310 - 24.78     <--- The TX wavelength (from your ONT to the OLT), 1310 nm.
1550 - 24.78     <--- The RX wavelength (from the OLT to your ONT), 1550 nm.

I don't have any idea as to the meaning of the two 24.78 figures. Perhaps Black Sheep might be able to assist?

Maybe light loss values?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »

Maybe light loss values?

Maybe, but if they are the optical attenuation at those two wavelengths then I would be very suspicious of the values . . . as they are identical. Furthermore there are no units specified . . . I would expect to see "dBm".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

matthew413

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »

Zen have given me an internal install date of 29th June, in case anyone was wondering how long the current delay is.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:47 AM »

Maybe light loss values?

*Nods*

They're also not the same. One's 24.28, the other 24.78, though they should have a '-' in front. Will be dBm.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »

What happens when the current phone line is off a pole? Mine is and there is no way across our front garden because it is 95% concrete. Also the current master socket is in the loft space, well eaves space, and that's where I want it to remain.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »

What happens when the current phone line is off a pole? Mine is and there is no way across our front garden because it is 95% concrete. Also the current master socket is in the loft space, well eaves space, and that's where I want it to remain.

Stuart

I believe they can run fibre off of poles too. You wouldn't really want the ONT in your loft though as it's not a nice place for electronic equipment due to extremes of temperature.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: [1] 2

anything