Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can a faulty router cause line interference?  (Read 3203 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Can a faulty router cause line interference?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 11:37:08 AM »

Google drive, perhaps?

Ahh, I didn't think of that. I'll have a look in to it.

Thanks for the idea  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

The latest update on this phone line saga is that, on the advice of the previous OR guy, I put in another fault report on the line.

Today was the day of the OR appointment. So the OR engineer turned up... and when I mentioned about what the previous OR guy had said she phoned him and she decided to check the pole outside. So while the health and safety pole guy turned up, she finished another job in the centre of town and then come back.

After the pole guy had finished the job the phone line went down and was out of action for a few hours. I was beginning to get nervous of if the line would come on back today. It eventually did.

Though after it came back on the broadband side was still down. Then she visited the house and said the line should be ok now. She was still doing tests on it. But apparently she had to call India for them to put the broadband back on. She said it can happen any time. So give me her number if it hadnt come on by tonight and she'd follow up later.

Broadband did eventually come on, though the speed as dropped to 52.38Mbps when its usually at 60Mbps. I'm hoping thats just the DLM reducing it thinking the line is unstable and it'll gradually go back to the normal speed.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 11:14:55 AM »

Well, the crackling is confirmed to be back.

Mum was using the phone today and it was as bad as ever.

To be honest, I don't think they fixed it last time, as when I called the OR engineer back to say the broadband was back on it was crackling then and she said she was still doing tests on the line so I thought it would be temporary.

I've got a feeling this is a high resistance line fault. I've had 3 OR engineers out so far. I'm going to try and contact the last OR engineer later today on the phone number she gave me.

It is disconcerting to keep having to call engineers out to the line. I feel abit embarrassed having to do this. But I know other people on the forum have had these sort of issues before.

I'm thinking the Mods might want to move this thread in to a more appropriate section as its obiously more a line fault than any faulty router problems.

I'll keep the thread updated on the progress.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »

Thank you for moving this thread to a better place  :)

Ok, so the latest is I had contacted the engineer on the day of the last post and she got back to me today.

She said she had talked to her supervisor and they agree they think they have found the problem and would be working on the line today and she'd contact me when it was done.

I didn't notice the phone line or broadband cut out today, she rang me back later to say it should be good now and to text back after I'd checked the line myself.

I just checked it and so far there as been no crackling. I'll keep my fingers crossed as we have got further than last time were it was back to crackling the day of the last repair.

So hoping its fixed  :fingers:

I can't wait till FTTP arrives here. I'm saying my prays and taking extra vitamins  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 09:27:11 PM »

Wait, there's a vitamin to speed up the FTTP rollout?  You must tell us your secret.  :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »

Hi Bowdon

I know you may be on this now
But what are the newer 2019 faceplates like?

A router that's going bad can up the attenuation that's in my XP

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »

I think the faceplate I used to use was more modern, the one with the phone and broadband connectors above/below each other, instead of this current one which is side-by-side (I posted a picture of one that looks like the current faceplate they put on in reply 8).

So far the crackling as gone. But I think they did something to my broadband connection i.e. made it worse. It managed to hold the line for the 14 days then dropped connection and reconnected. Now over the past 4 days its dropped connection twice. The speed still is around 52Mb. At this point I thought DLM might begin to take me back up to 60Mb. But I've got a feeling this is as far as I get with my speed. I've a feeling they moved my connection at the cabinet next to another line that is giving me interference, as this is what happened when the neighbours joined Sky's FTTC. After a few months they dropped Sky and went to Virgin and my speed went back to 60.

So the vitamins worked for my voice line quality, but not my broadband. The prayers weren't answered  :(

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 12:00:43 AM »

I've noticed a pattern in this broadband dropping. The line was ok (though not at the speeds I used to have) for 14 days since the engineer left, it's now disconnecting once a day, for the past 4 days.

I usually don't have any problems with the broadband side of things. So what is a reasonable threshold before I complain about a broadband fault?
Pages: 1 [2]