Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to use Cloudflare DNS on Zen?  (Read 1813 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Unable to use Cloudflare DNS on Zen?
« on: April 30, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »

I use a AmpliFi Instant Router + Mesh point and have forced the Fritz!Box into bridge mode by deleting its username and password in the settings and I am trying to use cloudflare DNS on the AmpliFi but with no such luck. Its defintely configured correctly as i've done this plenty of times before but for some reason when I check who my DNS provider is it keeps coming back with Zens own DNS.

To make sure I wasn't going insane I changed the DNS to Google DNS and it works straight away, does Zen block the use of Cloudflare DNS on their network?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Unable to use Cloudflare DNS on Zen?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »

To make sure I wasn't going insane I changed the DNS to Google DNS and it works straight away, does Zen block the use of Cloudflare DNS on their network?

No they don't, I was using it for months until I recently moved to full resolution.

I'd question your "bridge mode" though as AFAIK the FritzBox doesn't support bridge mode.
https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-5490/knowledge-base/publication/show/3233_Can-the-FRITZ-Box-be-used-as-a-modem-bridge-mode/

I don't know if this applies to the 7530 but I suspect it would.

I do see this guide https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-configure-my-fritzbox-in-bridge-mode.html but I'm still sceptical that's foolproof when AVM specifically say they do not support this configuration.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:23:08 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

Out of interest, would using the ISP DNS servers be the quickest? I'm guessing most of the publicly available DNS servers would have a presence in London, as do Zen? Imagine there's not that much in it though.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »

If you are after speed, either Pi-hole or pfsense resolver will happily cache DNS records  ;)

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 09:17:11 PM »

No they don't, I was using it for months until I recently moved to full resolution.

I'd question your "bridge mode" though as AFAIK the FritzBox doesn't support bridge mode.
https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-5490/knowledge-base/publication/show/3233_Can-the-FRITZ-Box-be-used-as-a-modem-bridge-mode/

I don't know if this applies to the 7530 but I suspect it would.

I do see this guide https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-configure-my-fritzbox-in-bridge-mode.html but I'm still sceptical that's foolproof when AVM specifically say they do not support this configuration.

That is the guide I followed, I did try to set the DNS manually inside the Fritz Box before going down the router of following that tutorial to do a "bridge mode" to the AmpliFi but I still had the same issue, the router is claiming to be using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 and passing all diagnostics saying everything is fine but when I run nslookup in CMD it comes back with Zen DNS servers wheras if I use Google DNS it shows that I am using Google DNS.

I am confused  :hmm:

If you are after speed, either Pi-hole or pfsense resolver will happily cache DNS records  ;)

I actually have a Raspberry Pi, its tempting but I have a Unifi Dream Machine on the way and want to utilise some of its functionality.

Jammy456

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:35:12 AM »

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am on Zen and trying to use custom DNS on my Asus Router and although the Asus router shows the correct WAN DNS settings everytime it connects to Zen it just gets forced on Zen DNS servers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 04:36:06 PM »

Are you using IPv6?  It could be you overrode the IPv4 DNS but its defaulting to IPv6?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything