Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: KDB test results  (Read 981 times)

chuffer

KDB test results
« on: April 30, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »

I have had very consistent high sync (80) but low throughput (50/60) for a while and a number of engineers visits.

OR engineers when occasionally using their own laptops confirm low throughput speeds.

My ISP shows me KDB test results and some of the data does not appear to be in real time.
Sync's appears to be real time.
Profile name does not.
0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

* this appears to indicate retrans only on the downstream *

It says my cable is 162 Mtrs and recently my line is now banded ( Rate Capped Profile ? ) at 74, down from 80.

There is a Time Stamp and it can be up to a max of 13 days behind the date of them running the test.

I wonder if any other field in the KDB database are also 13 days behind that and be relevant ?

The other thing I have noticed, every time an OR engineer has visited me and run tests with the hand held device the KDB date gets set to that date and time and remains so for the 13 days.

Does that indicate the DLM has been reset ?

ISP reports occasional copper faults but never seen by OR engineers on site.

"Description               Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location   CE"

" Current RRT Brag stability index is good,  some upstream forward error correction evident,
nothing on the downstream, it is very variable however, only 8 yesterday, 128 on Friday."

* this says retrans only on the upstream *

Standard speed test sites often report high latency, generally on the down ( have seen 5000 ) but recently on the up.( 500 )

The router reports max rates of  88709/27493.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: KDB test results
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:40:58 PM »

With regards to the "thirteen days out of date effect", would your ISP/CP be Plusnet?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »

I'm not aware of any other parts of the test that are out of date.
It may just be the current DLM line profile field.

The current profile "0.128M-74M Downstream" shows the line has been banded/capped at 74Mb.
It won't be able to sync above 74Mb until DLM removes the banding or the DLM is reset.

The other thing I have noticed, every time an OR engineer has visited me and run tests with the hand held device the KDB date gets set to that date and time and remains so for the 13 days.

Does that indicate the DLM has been reset ?

Yes.

With regards to the "thirteen days out of date effect", would your ISP/CP be Plusnet?

It's the same on every ISP.

Plusnet are just 1 of the few ISP's (and the biggest ISP) who will share a copy of the GEA test in full.
This means the majority of the time we see the 13 day old profile bug it's a Plusnet line.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:07:40 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »

Plusnet are just 1 of the few ISP's (and the biggest ISP) who will share a copy of the GEA test in full.
This means the majority of the time we see the 13 day old profile bug it's a Plusnet line.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chuffer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »

As the banding cap is applied by the DLM should a DLM reset have removed it ?
If it did, might it have been re-applied and it was in the 13 day gap so it was not seen ?.

I'm confused Re the retrains shown in KDB Profile.

Down say low with line banded.
Up clear with Error Protection Off

Up reported by RRT shows errors but profile says 20 and clear on the downstream.

They seem to be at odds with each other ?.

With the router reporting max rates of  88709/27493 would this not imply good copper ?