Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New connection to Zen Fibre  (Read 4763 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Re: New connection to Zen Fibre
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »

Quick question.

I've been reading up on different backhaul technology that Zen can use and i've been reading about GEA, WBMC etc. My current technology is WBMC which from what i've been reading is the better of the two. Is there any reason to suggest differently?

Would I see a benefit of asking to move to GEA and if so how would I know I can get GEA? My exchange has LLU for TalkTalk, Sky and C&W (Whoever that is) but not Zen, I was reading here that Zen can still provide GEA through TalkTalk if TalkTalk LLU is available?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 01:28:44 PM »

Where are you reading that your engage doesn't have Zen coverage?
If it's SamKnows then their data is very out of date.
Zen have much better coverage than SamKnows suggests.

WBMC is BT Wholesale who probably have better latency than Zens own GEA backhaul.

Personally I wouldn't request a change if your happy at the moment.

They sometimes move customers to their own backhaul without them asking.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »

Where are you reading that your engage doesn't have Zen coverage?
If it's SamKnows then their data is very out of date.
Zen have much better coverage than SamKnows suggests.

WBMC is BT Wholesale who probably have better latency than Zens own GEA backhaul.

Personally I wouldn't request a change if your happy at the moment.

They sometimes move customers to their own backhaul without them asking.

I was reading it on the checker on Kitz broadband checker https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php

I guess i'll leave it and if it turns out I get swapped over by force i'll be sure to update the forums lol

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 03:32:23 PM »

I was reading it on the checker on Kitz broadband checker https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php

I guess i'll leave it and if it turns out I get swapped over by force i'll be sure to update the forums lol

I emailed Zen to find out if my exchange has GEA support - As of yet no.

Email Below:

Thanks for your email.

GEA means we have our own kit in the exchange, we currently dont have any in your exchange as such you are on BT Wholesales backhaul.

We do constantly look at increasing our presence in exchanges however I cant confirm when we will be doing you at your exchange. When we install our equipment we usually move our customers onto our GEA services.

I'm sorry I could'nt timescales and if you require anything further please do let me know.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »

. . . and C&W (Whoever that is) . . .

Cable & Wireless (as was).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

Cable & Wireless (as was).

Interesting, I never heard of them. Much like I have never heard of most of the ISPs listed on https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps

Guess thats what happens when the bigger ISP's monopolise.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 10:43:58 PM »

Perhaps an age thing. C&W wren the first to cable the UK for business / consumer use. Then taken over by Blue Yonder and ultimately VM.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »

Perhaps an age thing. C&W wren the first to cable the UK for business / consumer use. Then taken over by Blue Yonder and ultimately VM.

Telewest did the initial installs in our area and they were taken over by C&W, so there is prior history in some areas as well.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »

Probably well before my time, i'm only 25. I only just barely know who Blue Yonder are from working in the tech industry. And I know enough to know I hate setting up incoming and outgoing emails for customers who still cling to Blue Yonder for dear life.

Update: Still on interleaving with 8ms of added delay, I hope it changes soon. I would have thought it would have changed by now.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »

Update:

Line resynced last night at a new speed, a lot closer to the original 70Mb I was getting, also ping has decreased to 13MS (What I am used to normally)

Code: [Select]
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 69828 20260
Current throughput kbit/s 68428 19995
Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP) 0 0
G.INP off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 6
Bitswap on off
Line attenuation dB 13 13
approximate line length m 284

Profile 17a
G.Vector off off

Carrier record A43 A43

I am tempted to swap out the FritzBox for my Draytek Vigor 130 but wondering if I did would it trigger DLM to kick in and put me back onto interleave? Reason I ask is because I have found the Draytek to give me a better speed ever so slightly in the past. Thoughts?

Also error rate in case anyone is wondering:

Code: [Select]
Seconds With Not Remediable Errors (CRC)
Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES) per
Minute Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 4 0 0.01 0
Central exchange 0 0 0 0

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »

I'm also on ECI with Zen and I tried both Vigor130 and Vigor2760 and recently the Fritz!box 7530, and they can't match the speed of my trusted companion VMG1312-B10A which has got a Broadcom chipset.

If you are after speed, I would try a modem with Broadcom chipset... On the other hand, those Lantiq devices seem to have less errors, no idea why...

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »

I'm also on ECI with Zen and I tried both Vigor130 and Vigor2760 and recently the Fritz!box 7530, and they can't match the speed of my trusted companion VMG1312-B10A which has got a Broadcom chipset.

If you are after speed, I would try a modem with Broadcom chipset... On the other hand, those Lantiq devices seem to have less errors, no idea why...

I've had it very hit and miss with broadcom. The only broadcom chipset thats worked flawlessly on my line is the one found in the BT hub 6 (I believe its broadcom) I managed to get a 74Mb sync using that router, unfortunately I had to leave BT and thus can't use it anymore.

Are the ports Gigabit?

EDIT: Decided to say sc*** it and swap it to the Vigor 130, speed as instantly increased from 68 to 71. Must be a certain chipset the Vigor 130 uses that my line just likes for some reason. I wish there was some way to find out whats definitely going to work best on your line. Some kind of test the ISP can run to say "Your line will work best using one of these routers" obviously I imagine thats rather difficult.

Looking forward to the day FTTP is available in my area as i'll jump on that fast than a cat does a bird.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:44:49 PM by sof006 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »

On the same cabinet, same drop cable, I have one line that is unstable on Lantiq due to the G.INP trial (also went interleaved when I tried to force 3dB SNR on Lantiq before G.INP) so went Broadcom, and another that I can set the SNRm down to 3dB thanks to Lantiq and is completely stable.

Its really quite eye opening to have two completely different quality lines taking identical routes back to the same cabinet.

When its the specific line conditions that determine what works best, its not just difficult to predict what works best, its downright impossible.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:03:33 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »

On the same cabinet, same drop cable, I have one line that is unstable on Lantiq due to the G.INP trial (also went interleaved when I tried to force 3dB SNR on Lantiq before G.INP) so went Broadcom, and another that I can set the SNRm down to 3dB thanks to Lantiq and is completely stable.

Its really quite eye opening to have two completely different quality lines taking identical routes back to the same cabinet.

When its the specific line conditions that determine what works best, its not just difficult to predict what works best, its downright impossible.

I just find it so strange, it makes no sense to me. I guess these phone lines are just too old... or perhaps these ECI exchanges are just terrible. I can only imagine that these Huawei exchanges are way more reliable.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 01:44:58 AM »

Not really. Tested myself. WBMC may have lower latency to some nodes but 8 out of 10 times I find Zen's GEA to have better latency.
Pages: 1 [2] 3