Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Very very short domain names  (Read 5515 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Very very short domain names
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »

I’m wondering where I can get an extremely short domain name that is very cheap. Can be anything at all otherwise, it’s just a finger-saver, instead if having to type in IPv4 addresses by hand all the time.

A while back I registered csw.me.uk for just exactly this reason, and it’s been great, saves a lot of typing and mistyping of IP addresses. That’s been very successful, I wondered if I could get anything even shorter and similarly for no money per annum?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Very very short domain names
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:40:37 PM »

Hi

Good luck getting a domain for free and keeping it free per annum

If you don’t want to spend monies, create sub domains 1. 2. etc...

You could also try to buy .uk if available of your current domain

Please remember if cheap to buy it may not be on next renewal

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »

Hi

Sorry there is 1 more thing which you could do for free, if you use your own dns local server or your firebrick does domain static, and then create your own domain 1.m 2.m etc where 1.m = modem 1 etc...

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »

Actually, that’s a point, I already do create domain names defined in the firebrick, but my web browser doesn’t like single-label domain names or anything that doesn’t look like the usual 2nld.tld pattern. "No money" means around £5 per annum.

I was looking around today, and it’s just amazing, the pressure there is on the domain name space nowadays, even the new tlds which look rather naff are in such demand that loads of very short labels have been taken. If you want an incredibly short name it’s a matter of finding the right tld which doesn’t cost the earth and which is still sparse. RevK the boss of AA uses some .gg domain names himeself, With incredibly short labels -  I remember him blogging about it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:51:12 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »

Hi

If your browser can view ao.com (which I think it would be able to) then you could domain static st firewall m1.com m2.com perhaps even m1.co etc...

Also, I’ve never known nothing is £5. Everyone I know understands nothing is free or £0.

Many thanks

John

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »

You could use a URL shortening service like Bitly or TinyURL.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »

It annoys me no end that Chrome based browsers always default to search when typing in a hostname with the .lan domain, when they work fine in Firefox.

I believe you can disable search from the URL bar so it ALWAYS tried to load it as a URL, but I imagine that's not what you want either as it then makes searching more awkward.

I wonder if there is some way to add .lan as a known domain to Chrome so it ALWAYS treats those as URLs?  Although from your past comments of wanting secure certificates on everything, that probably wont work either.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »

Why not create a web page on your your iPad with links to all the common ones you need and make that your home page? Two clicks and no typing!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 11:43:48 PM »

Ah. I didn’t know that I could do that. If I save a text file full of html, then I would have to indicate its location to iOS Safari somehow. I’ll dig around a bit. I have already done the first part and then got stuck because I don’t have a url for the file in question.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

On Windows if the file name ends html and you create a shortcut to the file it will automatically open in the default browser. Then when the page is open make current page the home page. Can you do something similar?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

@jelv It’s so easy in windows, but the equivalent simple obvious actions or methods don’t seem to exist in iPadOS / iOS and Safari and the shell UI. Or else I just can’t see them or find them.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »

Ah. I use Shortcuts all the time, I’ve written massive shortcuts programs, 450 actions in one for example. I’m sure Shortcuts could do this; I have used a Shortcuts verb/action that can take html text and display it as a web page. I used it to get Safari fired up to display richly formatted text as the Shortcuts framework has extremely poor text io capabilities, which for some amazing reason got much worse in a recent annual release. I’ll just have to dig in my massive library of routines 100+ routines. I think that you’ve solved it. Running a shortcuts routine to display a fixed webpage will achieve what I need.

anything