Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mouse failure  (Read 3062 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Mouse failure
« on: April 25, 2020, 12:30:34 PM »

I just had to replace my mouse because the right button kept randomly being clicked when I click the left button.

It's a logitech keyboard/mouse combo.

I've never had a mouse get a fault like that before. I checked when I bought it, 4 years ago. So not that long really.

To say its got the logitech name on I'm surprised it picked up an issue so soon.

As anyone else had mouse issues before?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Mouse failure
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »

I have had a few mice fail including expensive ones such as Logitech, Sandstrom and Microsoft and in less than 4 years as well. I think they take quite a lot of battering and the manufacturing quality is probably not what it could be especially as most are plastic.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »

Its almost always been the wire that goes on mine as it gets trapped on things and my impatience to untangle it eventually snaps it internally.

More often that not with buttons its that they stop responding reliably, false clicks is curious how that's happening.  Can you feel what's going on?  The button just because too responsive?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

pxr5

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »

I've got a Logitech wireless mouse that was bought fo me as a present in 2000, and it's still going strong. I'd tell you what type, but the model info has all worn away - it's blue and grey though lol

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »

The only quality problem I ever had with a mouse was a very cheap thing, might gave been Tesco or Asda own brand or something.   Within a week the scroll wheel became jittery.   I took it apart.

The scroll wheels of other mice that I have taken apart have had contactless sensing, magnetic or optical, not sure which.   The cheapo’ mouse simply had an actual physical wiper pressing against a track on the wheel, a bit like a potentiometer that’s expected to withstand being twisted thousands of times in an hour.  Hardly surprising that it only lasted a week.

I’d personally expect a Logitech to last pretty much for ever, although cable damage remains a possibility.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »

It was some years ago when I purchased a mouse from Tesco. The price, if I remember correctly, was under £5-00. Got home, plugged it in and started using it. Within an hour the scroll wheel physically collapsed. So on the next day I returned it. At the customer service desk the refund was promptly provided and a comment was made that "those mice are rubbish", as it was tossed into container with many other defective ones.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »

Actually I take that back, most common mouse fault - the pads on the bottom coming unstuck or wearing down.  But it doesn't necessarily stop it working, just means it doesn't glide as smoothly.

My latest mouse is again logitech M720 but I went wireless this time as they finally got the latency down low enough and it means I could use the dongle on my main PC and use it on both my laptops over Bluetooth as well, without constantly re-pairing or moving the dongle.

Will be interesting to see how long that lasts.  Wouldn't be surprised if the dongle dies before the mouse itself.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »

More often that not with buttons its that they stop responding reliably, false clicks is curious how that's happening.  Can you feel what's going on?  The button just because too responsive?

At first I thought maybe my finger was pressing down on the right button by mistake, so i tucked my finger under my hand but it still did it.

It only did it when I was pressing left button. It was annoying as if I was trying to left click and drag to highlight some text it would do a false right click and I'd have to attempt to drag highlight again.

Othertimes I'd click left on something and the menu that appears if you right click pops up as well.

There is a couple of games that require me to hold right mouse button down to move the camera that I play, so I'm wondering if thats caused the situation. But as I say, I've never had a mouse problem before.

I bought a new keyboard/mouse combo, the same set, because its fairly cheap, and the new mouse is working properly.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2