Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: High FEC error with G.INP  (Read 1004 times)

aossama

• Just arrived
High FEC error with G.INP
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:43 AM »

Hello guys,

Last night my line had G.INP enabled on it. I am not sure if my ISP decided to push G.INP to the profile, or the DLM decided to like my line stats and to enable G.INP. Since then and the FEC Errors has jumped dramatically since it was enabled and still climbing. The ping response from the modem to the DSLAM dropped from being at 21.9ms to 5.5ms.

If I understand correctly, FEC is good with INP and FEC Errors indicate issues on the line. But what about FEC errors with G.INP?

Bitswapping also vanished since G.INP was enabled, does this mean I can disable it on the modem?

I'm attaching the four hours period snapshots for the SNRM and FEC on my line when G.INP got enabled. And the graph for the ping response.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: High FEC error with G.INP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »

At the most simplest of levels, one can consider FECs as "CRCs that did not happen".

The error detection and correction mechanisms, of which G.Inp is one, are working well, such that the DLM process will be able to (positively) optimise the operational state of your circuit. As a result of that optimisation, there is the potential for further CRCs to occur . . . A point of equilibrium is established, quite quickly. Remember that "CRCs are bad".

Look at the numbers and answer the two hypothetical questions:
  • Would you prefer to have the circuit with operating with nnnnn CRCs and very few FECs?
  • Would you prefer to have the circuit with operating with very few CRCs and nnnnn FECs?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »

No, I wouldn't disable bitswapping.

Do you know if you are on an ECI or Huawei cabinet?
It should tell you in the "Stats" tab in Dslstats. Look for DSLAM Type.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »

Hello guys,

Last night my line had G.INP enabled on it. I am not sure if my ISP decided to push G.INP to the profile, or the DLM decided to like my line stats and to enable G.INP. Since then and the FEC Errors has jumped dramatically since it was enabled and still climbing. The ping response from the modem to the DSLAM dropped from being at 21.9ms to 5.5ms.

Great news, line now must be on Fastpath that is why ping decreased... probably WE is trying to push G.INP at last,, hope I get it soon..

For FEC errors "kinda fake errors that are corrected and do not count as actual error" the number do not matter as much as the CRC errors which you can get from router telnet, CRC error count and other error counts like ES these are critical and can affect DLM to kick.

No, I wouldn't disable bitswapping.

Do you know if you are on an ECI or Huawei cabinet?
It should tell you in the "Stats" tab in Dslstats. Look for DSLAM Type.

He is on Huawei cabinet but the DSLAM is actually a Huawei one "HiSilicon", he is not from UK.

aossama

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »

Thanks guys.

I prefer a circuit with few CRCs and nnnnn FECs.

@j0hn, As mofa2020 said, it's a HISI (HiSilicon) a subsidiary of Huawei. I've recently discovered that the chipsets on the DSLAMs and triductor not broadcom.

DSLAM type / SW version:   HISI:0x3412 (52.18) / v0x3412

@mofa2020, I really hope the fastpath rolls out to the country soon.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »

@mofa2020, I really hope the fastpath rolls out to the country soon.

Hope so, I swapped the D-LINK 2888a for the VR400 like yours since I doubt the D-LINK support G.INP and will see if the DLM will kick in and enable it on my line.. I did notice a few days ago that my line stopped working for few minutes (no dial tone, no DSL/Internet lights on the router) may be it was an update to roll out G.INP but nothing changed for me after that and I suspect the D-LINK router.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »

My line got G.INP and fastpath applied early this morning after switching to TP-link VR400 last night, sadly the D-link 2888a does not support it...

anything