Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 and broadband theory  (Read 2714 times)

Ceska

• Just arrived
Huawei HG612 and broadband theory
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »

Hi all,
I'm bit lost after sitting a couple of long evenings trying to make my new setup to work. Actually I have never played with not standard other than ISP supplied Router/Modem box. My vision was to replace all in one router to a dedicated box as a modem that works as a dump bridge device. Dedicated box as a router that uses his WAN  port to lease an external IP from ISP and if anything else it must to do. As a modem, I chose HC612 and router pFsense.
Now I'm in a situation that I've bought Huawey HG612, also I've got temporary pFsense VM in VMware ESXi host and hopefully I do understand how virtual networks and devices must be interconnected and not sure if I understand correctly how pFsense must be set up. And seems that nothing is really working. In other words - it's too many moving parts. So my ideas is that I need to make work one thing at the time.
    1. To understand correctly how HG612 router/modem does works and other things related to it.
    2. To make HG612 work on its own without the external router.
    3. How to set-up HG612 as a modem only and offload routering works to my temporary pFsense Virtual Machine.
    4. Make pFsense VM work with HG612 as a modem only.
    5. When No.4 deployed successfully, move pFsense to stand alone box.

My ISP is EE broadband, Plan speed: ~60/20 Mbits. I'm next street to exchange box, quite close. They have internet settings displayed here https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-my-home-broadband-internet-settings
The details that I know is:
* protocol: PPPoE
* broadband username: PRODUCTIONHXXXXXXXXX@fs
* pass: HQXXXXXXXX
* authentication: CHAP
* internet IP address: DHCP
* MAC address: (leave blank/disabled)
* Multiplexing method: VC-Based
* Virtual circuit:
    VPI=0
    VCI=38
* Modulation: Multi mode
* Authentication: CHAP
* MTU (in case of problems with a third-party router, change MTU to): 1492

If you would help me out with this, please? This would be a nice checklist for other beginners too. I even would like to speak with someone who has a clear idea how to make it work, please text me PM and we can have a chat. This would be very welcome and I would donate £ for some beer. 
I would like to start with number one.

HG612 as router/modem basic and advanced stuff

I was never interested in how DSL broadband works. I understand that a modem is the first piece as Customer Premises Equipment and it converts two-wire media to Ethernet. And to make it work need some setting applied.
    1.1 Do I understand it right that Huawey HG612 supplied by Openreach BT are pre-configured and configuration is injected in the firmware? As I read this that if you messed up and for simple setup, it needs to be reset to defaults and should work?
    1.1.2 Reset when you pushing on the rested button when the router is powered (I call it soft reset) defaults the only configuration? Also, holding rested button when powering on will reset firmware? Or even will erase the firmware and will idle for the new firmware to be uploaded via the web interface on LAN2 accessible on 192.168.1.1?
    1.2 If it's 1.1 true, also standard (or not flashed in any other way) configuration the device has no access to Web configuration page? As I received my box from ebay I could not access it via any IP, this was my doubt if this device works at all.
    1.3 Firmware hacks are mostly just to get access to specific statistics and also to have access to Web configuration?
I don't mind to have some kind of extra statistics if it's possible. I did upload firmware B030SP08_webgui and after access config, via the web interface, I was a bit blown away from amount of configuration options that I'm not familiar with. Let's start with the Basic configuration.
    1.4 DSL Configuration modulation type. I think is [VDSL2] as my plan is fibre 60/20Mbps. Or even would work if to select [ALL]. ? This was easy to get.
    1.5 ATM. Should be one interface created called [atm1] with settings:
        1.5.2 VPI/VCI: [0/38] as given per IS provider.
        1.5.3 DSL latency: [Path0] as per default? I'm not sure what this relates?
        1.5.4 DSL link type: [EoA] As my provider require PPPoE. (PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE), actually works "on top" of the EOA protocol. http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/DSL-302G/Router_Files/home/hag/help/eoa.ssi ) correct?
        1.5.5 Encapsulation: [VCMUX] it stands for Virtual circuit multiplexing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_circuit_multiplexing this is required by my ISP (Multiplexing method: VC-Based).
    1.6 PTM. I have no clue what this is. But according to defaults in my existing situation, there is interface [ptm1] created.
        1.6.2 DSL latency: by default [Path0] Should I change it? What is related to?
        1.6.3 PTM priority: by default [NormalPriority] Should I change it? What is this about?
        1.6.4 Service type: by default [UBR Without PCR] and I guess it's ok, otherwise, there are more unknown fields to be entered. Let me know if I should change here somethings?
    1.7 WAN. Where things are getting complicated and I even don't know where to start? :))
        1.7.2 By default there are two interfaces created: [ptm1.101] and [ptm1.301] and only the first one is [Enabled]. If I understand right that ptm1.301 is required for ISP configuration TR069, and I don't need it and will be left in [Disabled] state? So I will configure the [ptm1.101]?
        1.7.3 Layer2 interface: by default in drop down menu [ptm1/(1_0_1)] is selected. And it's [Enabled].
        1.7.4 Service list: [INTERNET]?
        1.7.5 Port binding: [LAN1] which is OK for me if I'm not planning anything else for now. ?
        1.7.6 Now were things getting more complicated. Connection mode. [Route] or [Bridge].
        1.7.7 So if to choose [Route] this device will become Modem with integrated router, which will serve NATing and IP leases with DHCP if required, and user name and password must be entered below in the same page, correct?
            1.7.7.a Connection type: [PPPoE]? as required by ISP.
            1.7.7.b WAN 802.1q: [Enable] for VLAN ID [101]? or not required? I finding many conversations that it's required for others is not. Where is the through? And WAN 802.1p [Enabled] too? with value [2] or I have seen somewhere [5]? Probably not very makes much difference?
            1.7.7.c LAN 802.1q/p: probably not required for any simple case?
            1.7.7.d NAT: [Enable] as this will serve more than one IP?
            1.7.7.e User Name and pass: I have got it given by my ISP, they actually officially have listed it for customers.
            1.7.7.f DHCP spoofing: I understand is for WAN side? and not required? Unless I would be installing DSL for the bank branch :)
            1.7.7.g Authentication mode: [CHAP] as required by ISP recommendations. I just want to make sure this is exactly the place where I enable it?
            1.7.7.h Dialing method: [Auto] this is standard for today's networks home networks.
        1.7.8 If to choose an [Bridge] option, this device will lose the router's function and will function as Modem only? Correct?
            1.7.8.a Bridge type: I guess [PPPoE_Bridged]? Because [IP_Bridged] therm doesn't make much sense for me what is for?
            1.7.8.b DHCP transparent transmission: ?? Not sure if this required, hard to match it from this manual https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1000177799/c1600117/configuring-a-router-to-transparently-transmit-dhcp-packets-through-a-cellular-interface
            1.7.8.c WAN 802.1q: so again is [101] with dot1p value [2] or [5]? (or it may be necessary to apply it on external router?)
            1.7.8.d LAN 802.1q/p: not required, correct?
    1.8 LAN. I understand if [Route] chosen in WAN section then it's all required? Just not understand very last few bits in DHCP Server section. What WAN-side address allocation mode: [] [Normal] [Passthrough]? What this for and how it can be used? Is this relates somehow if I use the device as Modem only and router must obtain a public IP address, this is PPPoE thing? So its a bit grey area for me. ?
    1.9 Advanced. I have no changes made in this section.

So far I have no luck to connect. I'm trying with my method described in  1.7.7 sequence. In logs I have {PPP dial-up failed: authentication failed}. This is with WAN 802.1q ID:101 If I'm not using it then I have only {PPP dial-up failed} without the extension {authentication failed}
Logs I have:
Code: [Select]
2000-1-1 0:0:57 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed: authentication failed
2000-1-1 0:0:41 Alert 104505 PPP dial-up failed
2000-1-1 0:0:26 Notice 104500 DSL activate succeed
2000-1-1 0:0:17 Debug 104500 LAN1 up
2000-1-1 0:0:14 Debug 104500 LAN2 up

I have tried some other configurations obviously unsuccessfully.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Huawei HG612 and broadband theory
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 10:59:18 AM »

You don't want the HG612 to do routing, you want it in bridge mode and let pfSense do the PPPoE and routing.
Last screenshot, WAN, change Connection Mode to Bridge.

Then all you need to do on pfSense is configure PPPoE on the ethernet port connected to the HG612 port LAN1.

The details that I know is:
* protocol: PPPoE
* broadband username: PRODUCTIONHXXXXXXXXX@fs
* pass: HQXXXXXXXX
* authentication: CHAP
* internet IP address: DHCP
* MAC address: (leave blank/disabled)
* Multiplexing method: VC-Based
* Virtual circuit:
    VPI=0
    VCI=38
* Modulation: Multi mode
* Authentication: CHAP
* MTU (in case of problems with a third-party router, change MTU to): 1492

The details you have above are for ADSL not VDSL, you should only need the username and password for the PPPoE configuration as you appear to be on VDSL now.  You can probably also set the MTU to 1500, if it doesn't work then leave the MTU setting blank and it will default to 1492 anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:11:41 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »

By default the HG612 does what you want.

As pointed out you have entered ADSL settings and it will not work.

Simply reset the device using the pin hole reset and it will "just work".

The HG612 can do 1500 MTU by default. If your router doesn't support it then the 1492 will be used.
You really don't need to touch a thing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »

Doh, why didn't I think of that?  :-[
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ceska

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »

Thanks, guys for your reply.
I've got a hard time to make it work.
At the moment my situation is:
I do have a second very same Huawei modem with defaults as received from ebay and I expect that it's taken from working network.  And I've got virtual pFsense. PFsence router just fresh install and some basic settings also WAN interface configured as PPPoE , and I have no luck any way. Is there any firewall rules must be allowed to make PPPoE work? one have any ideas? Is it possible maybe see in detail log what happening to make this connection? 
By default the HG612 does what you want.

As pointed out you have entered ADSL settings and it will not work.

The HG612 can do 1500 MTU by default. If your router doesn't support it then the 1492 will be used.
You really don't need to touch a thing.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »

Some things have confused you as you’ve seen stuff mentioned that applies to other people but not to you.

You’re using FTTC, correct? Therefore you are not using ATM and the mentions of VCs, virtual circuits, VPI/VCI don’t apply to you. You’re using the PTM protocol instead of the ATM protocol. You're also using the VDSL2 protocol as well.

Ceska

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »

It can be a bit confusing, sorry about this.
OK let's clarify:
FTTC, correct.
My EE broadband plan name - Fibre Plus Broadband
Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 72.8 Mb/Sec
Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 18.2 Mb/Sec
EE giving general information about it https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-my-home-broadband-internet-settings so maybe I'm wrong what details I need to use, as I never played with any PPP's standards so it's a bit difficult for me to pick what I actually do need. let's say I don't need VPI/VCI. I'm not sure about PTM protocol but You are probably right. Why do I think that this is VDSL2 ? But maybe I'm wrong.
When playing with pFsense and PPPoE settings there isn't much actually.
Anyway, I've got two Huawei boxes, one with default firmware as delivered by openreach (I believe, as I have no access to IP this box) and also one with firmware that I have described in my first message. I need just bit more instructions on how to make it work with one or another box.

Thanks in advance.

Some things have confused you as you’ve seen stuff mentioned that applies to other people but not to you.

You’re using FTTC, correct? Therefore you are not using ATM and the mentions of VCs, virtual circuits, VPI/VCI don’t apply to you. You’re using the PTM protocol instead of the ATM protocol. You're also using the VDSL2 protocol as well.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »

It can be a bit confusing, sorry about this.
OK let's clarify:
FTTC, correct.
My EE broadband plan name - Fibre Plus Broadband
Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 72.8 Mb/Sec
Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 18.2 Mb/Sec
EE giving general information about it https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-my-home-broadband-internet-settings so maybe I'm wrong what details I need to use, as I never played with any PPP's standards so it's a bit difficult for me to pick what I actually do need. let's say I don't need VPI/VCI. I'm not sure about PTM protocol but You are probably right. Why do I think that this is VDSL2 ? But maybe I'm wrong.
When playing with pFsense and PPPoE settings there isn't much actually.
Anyway, I've got two Huawei boxes, one with default firmware as delivered by openreach (I believe, as I have no access to IP this box) and also one with firmware that I have described in my first message. I need just bit more instructions on how to make it work with one or another box.

Thanks in advance.

As said earlier, the easiest method is probably to revert the modded modem to factory settings as everything is setup for VDSL Bridge mode by default.

pfSense only needs to know the PPPoE login, that's it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »

and also one with firmware that I have described in my first message. I need just bit more instructions on how to make it work with one or another box.

Hold the reset button on the bottom of the device.
It will reset the device to default configuration while leaving it on the unlocked firmware.

The default configuration works out of the box with every ISP using OpenReach's FTTC.
You don't need to change any settings at all.

The only setting I ever change on an HG612 is disabling QoS to get a bit in upstream throughput.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »

@Ceska
Are you sure your login details are correct? I got broadband with ee and my login looks completely different.

Ceska

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 10:39:10 PM »

Hey.
Yes. I did look this a few times and just copied it from my router. If you would like this link https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-my-home-broadband-internet-settings you will see that this format is used in some routers.
But I also bit doubt after this many attempts.
Thanks for replying.

@Ceska
Are you sure your login details are correct? I got broadband with ee and my login looks completely different.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »

I think if you contact ee they should provide you correct details. When I order my broadband, back in the days when they supplied eci modems or hg612, they also give me card with my login and password which I using till today on non ee equipment. However when I plugged in ee smart hub I looked into settings and login details was different than mine so these in smart hub are not necessary correct for non ee equipment?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 02:29:29 AM »

Maybe like Sky the actual username and password doesn't matter, as long as the format of it complies?

Until the HG612 has been restored to factory settings, I'm still assuming its a misconfiguration of the HG612.

Ceska

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »

I did try a few more times to make all sorts of configurations on my system, but with no luck. I did call EE support, they gave me the same login name and pass as I know, I did rest HG612 with pressing on the reset button and switching power on. My pFsense in VMware's ESXi host. So it's a bit now on the question if I'm not missing something. Probably until I won't have physical oFsence box probably I will be out of the luck. Or simply HG612 given by openrech not really works with EE  Fibre Plus Broadband plan? and type of login name they providing? Would be nice to find someone who have it working with the same provider and plan and configuration...
I'm still open for in private support for a few pints, please PM.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 01:21:40 AM »

The trick to checking that is to plug the HG612 into a PC and use Windows to create a PPPoE login.  If that works, you know the HG612 is doing its job and the problem would be on your VM.

anything