Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach don't provision multiple FTTP services to one property  (Read 5836 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach don't provision multiple FTTP services to one property
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »

Even now we don't know for sure if they do or do not provide multiple services at this time.  :lol:  Maybe if you have a 4 port Hub they will, but has anyone got a second fibre installed to end up with 2 or more single ONTs?

Yes.
That's why the checker returns

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

I've seen a few examples of this, with 2 x 1 port ONT's.

They used to feed 4 fibres to the external CSP. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

If I recall correctly psychopomp1 has 4 fibres to his external CSP, with a single fibre running 3 FTTP lines on a 4 port ONT.

He could in theory get another 3 ONT's.

Openreach have gone back to using external CSP's though I've no idea how many fibres are in the feed from the DP to the CSP now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:24:26 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »

Hi

So have you those results just from using your postcode/house number?  Do you have an active copper BT line?  I can't be sure but I think at some point it did say I had an active service on the old checker after shortly going live on FTTP whilst I was able to do a telephone number lookup on the checker.  (Had a few weeks overlap of the old VDSL/telephone line).

I suppose it doesn't really matter what the checker is saying, it doesn't undo the fact I do have an active FTTP service, just seems to show there are some inconsistencies with what data or how that data is shown on the various checkers.

Regards

Phil

I used the address lookup (postcode and house number). I don't have an active copper BT line since a week or two after the FTTPoD connection went live. I guess it's just a matter of inconsistent data for your address.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »

Never been accused of click baiting before. Should've monetised!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 01:36:47 PM »

Hi

I used the address lookup (postcode and house number). I don't have an active copper BT line since a week or two after the FTTPoD connection went live. I guess it's just a matter of inconsistent data for your address.

Thanks for the info, so definitely inconsistencies then.  I just hope the FTTP doesn't stop working as it might be the case when Openreach are asked to repair it they deny I've ever had a FTTP service as the computer says No ???

Regards

Phil

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »

Never been accused of click baiting before. Should've monetised!
:lol:

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »

Yeah I have 4 fibre strands coming into the external CSP. Only 1 (blue in colour) is hooked up the 4 port ONT, 3 are kept as spares all nicely coiled up. This means I could (in theory) have 3 additional ONTs without the need for any new blown fibre.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 12:02:29 PM »

Yeah I have 4 fibre strands coming into the external CSP. Only 1 (blue in colour) is hooked up the 4 port ONT, 3 are kept as spares all nicely coiled up. This means I could (in theory) have 3 additional ONTs without the need for any new blown fibre.

Thanks for the pictures.

In many cases people don't have spare fibres to their premise anyway, I don't, it is a single fibre from the DP run under ground with no outside connector box, in my case you can't see any indication from outside I have fibre.  My install is the same as yours with the same conduit you have for the old telephone line, but my fibre comes into the house using the same hole behind the original conduit as the telephone wire, so it looks no different with no wires or fibre visible at all on the outside, a very neat job.

If my fibre breaks, they would need to pull out the broken one and pull in another fibre, although that task first time round took only minutes.  We have here an 8 port connector at the DP amongst 5 properties, but I don't know if only 5 are lit or all of them are lit for use.

Technically of course it is possible to have more than one fibre, so question isn't whether it can be done, it is whether Openreach will do it and install two ONTs in the same house.  End of the day it is purely an Openreach business decision rather than if technically possible, and if there is no fibre capacity they can add some of course at their or the customers costs.

Regards

Phil

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:07 PM »

It's actually genuinely irritating how few ISPs are even remotely interested in selling FTTP right now, and how even fewer still sell above 76 Mb/s.

Some that would be selling it just aren't right now regardless of whether it requires a home visit or not.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »

I was tempted to ask Zen when they plan to roll out 500 and 900 packages, but as I haven't seen an Openreach van in a month (not that I've been looking) it seems kinda pointless chasing it up right now.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »

I agree. I wish there were more choices. At the moment I've stayed with Cerberus, but hope there's a bit more competitive monthly pricing next year. I can't go with BT Retail as I need a static IP range at the very least, which BT Retail don't offer. At least the activation/setup fee was waived though.

Now that it's finally live I'm pleased with the service. I'm also amazed that my wifi network is able to process an average of 400 to 500 megabits downstream (wifi generation 5, ac).

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »

I was tempted to ask Zen when they plan to roll out 500 and 900 packages, but as I haven't seen an Openreach van in a month (not that I've been looking) it seems kinda pointless chasing it up right now.

They were planning end of this month or early next. No idea now.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:13 AM »

They're still working on the FTTP build despite the coronavirus.
I believe it's only the final connection they aren't doing as it requires entering the customers property.

3 OpenReach vans were in and around my street on Tuesday/Wednesday doing final checks on our FTTP build.

The OpenReach website updated sometime on Wednesday and now shows FTTP as being available to order.

The new BT Wholesale address checker still shows WBC FTTP as "Planned" so all BTW ISP's tell me I can't get FTTP.

I'm able to order 1000/115 from other ISP's but as above they wouldn't be able to install the final drop cable to my premises.
I'm in contract with Virgin till December anyway.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 04:47:53 PM »

This is the hardest part about self isolation for me, I can't go around hunting Openreach vans.  ::)

Its not like I won't know, the DP is visible from the back garden and from past experience they are likely to park in view of the CCTV on the front when working on the chamber that feeds that DP.

I think its just being stuck inside making me even more stir crazy than usual, despite the fact I rarely go out anyway, especially in hayfever seasons.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »

If my fibre breaks, they would need to pull out the broken one and pull in another fibre, although that task first time round took only minutes.  We have here an 8 port connector at the DP amongst 5 properties, but I don't know if only 5 are lit or all of them are lit for use.

Regards

Phil

Only the ports that have a recognised NAD key against them will be lit, in other words only the premises you mention in your example, however all 8 ports will be spliced back to the splitter node and 'stumped'.
Pages: 1 [2]