Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WiFi speed issues  (Read 4792 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: WiFi speed issues
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 02:01:15 AM »

Not really. Even a 2x2 802.11ac link has a theoretical capacity of 866 Mbit/s - that's more than enough to saturate 70 Mbit/s.

A small throughput reduction I get but really shouldn't be a big deal.

No FTTC customer should be unable to saturate their connection via a decent quality, properly configured WiFi signal on 5 GHz and be fine on 2.4 GHz unless there's interference or other issues.

Saturated 375 Mbit/s no problem, just did a test on a basic 2x2 802.11ac radio and seeing >500 Mbit/s.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/182012697
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:05:32 AM by CarlT »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 03:55:16 AM »

I used to have problems saturating my broadband on 802.11n as I recall, even though WiFi to LAN was dramatically higher than my broadband connection.  I never could understand why that was, I assumed some weird conflict with how it was handling the traffic.

Since moving to AC though I don't think I've had that problem.  The fact different hardware is causing the same issue is puzzling, I could only think there is some very odd interference in the 5Ghz band that is killing the WiFi performance.

I do sometimes get an odd speed reduction across the road between WiFi to LAN and WiFi to Internet, but that is going to a 5Ghz AP, then over a 5Ghz PtP link, so there is a lot of scope for thing to go awry even when the channels aren't overlapping.  I think maybe latency differences and packet loss over all those layers can cause strange issues.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:58:28 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »

The fundamental reason I assert that WiFi can only ever be very nearly as good as wired ethernet, and often less good, is that with the former a real-life non-zero error rate is quite normal.    With ethernet such as 1000 BASE-T, particularly when cables are a tiny fraction of the 100metre length limit, real-life error rates often remain absolutely zero for quite long periods.

802.11 error recovery procedures are very good, stunningly good if that’s a word.   But good error recovery is not quite as good as not having errors.  Stress an IMHO here, a quick google has failed to find any convincing analyses to confirm or deny my suggestions. :)

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 10:09:20 PM »

I will look closer to router settings, I remember that I had issues with speed on my mobiles when after one fw upgrade PMF (Protected management frames) was on by default. At this time I had speed link between router and mobile phone 866Mb/s but broadband speed was only 2/Mb/s on speedtest, took me few dsys before I found that,  on PCs or laptops all was perfectly fine. Once I turned this off full speed on mobile phones was achieved without any problems (71Mb/s in my line best days).

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »

I will look closer to router settings, I remember that I had issues with speed on my mobiles when after one fw upgrade PMF (Protected management frames) was on by default. At this time I had speed link between router and mobile phone 866Mb/s but broadband speed was only 2/Mb/s on speedtest, took me few dsys before I found that,  on PCs or laptops all was perfectly fine. Once I turned this off full speed on mobile phones was achieved without any problems (71Mb/s in my line best days).

There is no such option in my router.

Interesting this is that when I choose 31173 servers no matter what location on speedtest.net I am getting 73mbps on WiFi, all other servers give me fixed 59-60mbps and also different speed test websites give me 59mbps as well. So strange

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 11:23:40 PM »

For me best results on speedtest.net give London servers (Vodafone and 3UK) even that I live 120 miles from London. Closer servers barely 50Mb/s especially during the day, and now with all this lock down.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »

Personally I’d be taking the view that wired speed tests of 75Mbps, vs WiFi of 60Mbps, are “about the same”.  In other words, covering both scenarios, we have a speed of mid 60s plus/minus 10%.

Wireless can never be as good as wired, the best it can do is to be very nearly as good, and then only under ideal conditions.     And speed test sites are not an exact science. :)

That used to be the case for me on 802.11n, even when I could do WiFi to LAN transfers FASTER than my broadband, speed would always be below my broadband speed when going online.

I can't remember if it went away when I moved to AC but I can confirm I have no such problem with the nanoHD.  I can get exactly the same speeds on WiFi as wired, which you'd think so considering I can do 700Mbit WiFi to LAN if I worshipped the right deity that day, or 400Mbit if I did not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]