Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New BTw Checker Site  (Read 4955 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New BTw Checker Site
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »

What does bridge tap status of U mean?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

What does bridge tap status of U mean?

I assume it means unknown.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »

Okay I'll bite: why would BT Wholesale produce an app like that given who their customers are? What is the use case and what are the benefits?

The speed tester would be rendered pointless by being run wirelessly, the checker is fine as a web page and would be used once in a blue moon by pretty much everyone.

When I first moved to Android it drove me insane how every website I visited was "download the app" when in most cases the web version was EASIER to use.

I do see merit to having apps sometimes, but honestly when a website can work just as well and DOESN'T stop working on the next version of the OS, it seems crazy to focus on them so much.

Heck, speedtest.net keep ordering me to "use their app" on Windows 10 and you know what, the speed test results I get using the app are completely wrong.  Its never ONCE correctly measured my speed vs the HTML5 web version which generally gets it right.  Fortunately 99% of the time I'm on Fedora so do not get this nag.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »

Speed test: From the results I get I'd suggest that they are using a single threaded test which may not show the full capability of the line. With this significant revamp I'd have thought they'd do something about that.

Nope, its multi-threaded as I get the combined speed of both my connections for download (but not upload).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:37:04 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »

Hi

Not working too well on my FTTP connection, gives 288 down (no too far off the mark) but only ~10 up, whereas all other tests give ~295 and ~30 pretty consistently. I suspect it is optimised for actual BT Wholesale connections, which I'm not.

Regards

Phil

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »

I've just tried the new checker (using the address checker as I'm on TT) and it gives better speed ranges than TT suggest I could get although probably not taking account of the fact that there are loads of other users around here holding my speed back a little.

The thing I found a little strange is that FTTPoD is shown but FTTP is not and yet there are reports of BT setting up to install FTTP here in Thanet. Not too worried at present as I've just renewed with TT for 18 months as I don't fancy using VM and hopefully in another 18 months BT will have FTTP live here. I am currently now getting 66mb down and 20mb up which is not too shabby although I am still interleaved but not being a gamer that is not a huge issue.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »

Hi

I think the BT checker is giving expected sync speed, and ISPs will provide something based on that but adjusted to match the average of what customers see on any given product allowing for congestion on their network.

Regards

Phil

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »

The thing I found a little strange is that FTTPoD is shown but FTTP is not and yet there are reports of BT setting up to install FTTP here in Thanet. Not too worried at present as I've just renewed with TT for 18 months as I don't fancy using VM and hopefully in another 18 months BT will have FTTP live here. I am currently now getting 66mb down and 20mb up which is not too shabby although I am still interleaved but not being a gamer that is not a huge issue.

Stuart

I'm still getting FTTP not available, despite them having "supposedly" started the build months ago according to the Fibre First site.

I wouldn't expect them to say FTTP is available, but you'd think it would say coming soon and have removed FTTPoD from the list as we know they reject orders for that once FTTP is already being rolled out in an area.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »

Is that using a number check or full address check?

With the address check I'm seeing WBC FTTP as planned with no sign of FTTPoD.

At another address where FTTP isn't coming, FTTPoD is still showing as normal.

Does your result show WBC FTTP not available?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »

I'll check again but FTTPoD definitely shows as a available  and I don't remember seeing FTTP at all. It was the address checker.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 06:28:04 PM »

Sorry that was aimed at Alex.
What you see is the same as I see for an address check with no FTTP planned.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 06:34:42 PM »

Address check for mine says the same as direct number check, FTTPoD available, FTTP not.

I'd be concerned it means my area isn't getting FTTP but the Fibre First address check says "Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon." so  :fingers:.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 08:36:14 PM »

We're (Broadstairs & Ramsgate) in the fairly early stages of FTTP being installed, so I think it's probably too soon to show, although as others have mentioned if planned it would make sense to mention it or at least remove FTTPod option.

Just for a laugh I tried the speed test - see attached
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 06:37:26 AM »

For me FTTP says unavailable which is no surprise given there is no announcement, g.fast is simply not mentioned anywhere on the page.

As a reminder my area has high VM cable presence, with low openreach take up, high population density, and cityfibre presence with planned vodafone rollout.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »

Noticed that I now get correct speed test readings (comparable to other test sites) when using my default browser, Firefox with the new BTw Performance Tester, this was never the case with the previous BTw tester, a well known and documented issue, I always had to test with Pale Moon browser to get believable results.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything