Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another case of Gfast being made redundant in double-quick time  (Read 901 times)

niemand

• Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/the-curious-case-of-hunslet-82-g-fast-pod-waits-3-years-to-go-live.html

The pod was made live in September. FTTP build started earlier this month, homes are already live with the remainder of the cabinet area complete by end of month.

So that was a pretty sharpish about-face.

In mitigation: a new build was put up with FTTP just across the road from my old place. A PON node was built on the side of the road where I was, and this is being used to deliver FTTP - the closest properties to it are live and can order with splicing works to connect others to it ongoing and, in turn, splice other PONs to the aggregation node about a kilometre away ongoing too.

They evidently used spare fibre feeding the new build, it wasn't very large, to deliver another PON and are progressively building out from there using the trays in that pit. The splicing works mention that node/location specifically.

All underground, FTTP infrastructure in terms of trays, etc, was close, the G.fast was installed a while back but made live only very recently so this would've been a pretty cheap and rapid build - apart from c.60 flats the other 600 premises will have been rodded, roped, a very few ducts unblocked, infrastructure installed and lit within a month.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:16:01 AM by CarlT »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Another case of Gfast being made redundant in double-quick time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »

It does seem that it takes WAY too long to make new G.fast cabinets live.

At least there is one benefit right now, a migration from VDSL to G.fast shouldn't require an engineer in the home but FTTP of course does.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:00:34 PM »

It does seem that it takes WAY too long to make new G.fast cabinets live.
Indeed. It took a month or two over six months locally, though it is apparently possible for pods to go live in as little as three months from the moment the build starts.

At least there is one benefit right now, a migration from VDSL to G.fast shouldn't require an engineer in the home but FTTP of course does.
I remember that self-install was in trial, but I never saw anything come of it.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »

RNS (Retro New Sites) is a workstream of ours .... along with Fibre Cities, Rural, MDU (Multiple Dwelling Units) and DiG (Direct in Ground 1960/70 type of estates).

RNS are generally very quick wins for the business, as the infrastructure is usually 'fault free' .... so on a costing basis, I can only guess the ramp-up in our FTTP deployment programme was indeed the deciding factor to dump the G-fast ??.

When the G.fast was originally planned, I would imagine the budget/planning order of play was to attach the pod in the first instance ?? The rules/regs and remits are changing almost daily now in FTTP ... I suppose that's a good thing for those that want it ??

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »

I remember that self-install was in trial, but I never saw anything come of it.

I wasn't aware of that, just assumed as its literally no different to VDSL from a users point of view that it would have been self install.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors