Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BufferBloat and HG612  (Read 1965 times)

Blokie

• Just arrived
BufferBloat and HG612
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »

I've just replaced my BT HomeHub with a combination of a HG612 (flashed with B030SP08 firware and QOS disabled)) and a shiny new ASUS RT-AX58U (running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16).

I'm getting poor bufferbloat performance (C rating (30ms idle, 60-130ms downloading, 30-210ms when uploading) on dslreports, and nothing I change on the AX58U seems to affect that bufferbloat score.  I've tried altering the bandwidth between 95% and 50% of my max line speed (max is 40Mb down, 13 up), and it just stays the same!

Could the issue be down to limitations with the HG612?  If so, what would a current recommendation be for a replacement?  Note - I would only need a replacement to act as the modem as the AX58u is only 2 days old!!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BufferBloat and HG612
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:34:59 PM »

It shouldn't be no, especially as by default the HG612 reserves 1Mbit of the upload to help avoid this (we usually turn this off after unlocking it).

Sounds like the AX58U QoS is not working correctly, as certainly if you've limited the speed by 50% you should see it making a difference.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »

What Alex said. Maybe the router is not using a good active queue management system algorithm for anti-bufferbloat.

Blokie

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »

Thanks for the responses.

It's configured to use fq_codel, but setting to sfq doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I even went extreme and set to 10% of max line speed, and again the results were effectively full speed.

Support for this new model RT-AX58U only appeared in the latest version of the Merlin firmware, so maybe there are some device specific issues in that QoS?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »

Then it should be doing the right thing. This kind of stuff is a nightmare to debug though. I don’t think that changing modems is necessarily going to bring any improvement but it’s a cheap thing to try. The latency/RTT with my own Firebrick FB2900 router + 4 * ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A modems combination is not good, although I’m using ultra-long slow ADSL2 lines with high interleave so the basic DSL itself is a big factor.

It could indeed be worth messing about with trying alternative kit if you can get hold of some good stuff to try at low cost.

Blokie

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »

Thanks.

I've just been having a play with Traditional QoS (as opposed to Adaptive), results as follows:

~10% hit on max speeds (about what would be expected)
Bufferbloat is practically eliminated
Speed limiting still doesn't seem to be working as dropping to 10% max still runs at max speed

..so that I think rules out the modem, and looks like some issues with the QoS implementation of this new router.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 04:56:20 PM »

Disappointing. Sometimes we have to buy into systems first and then find out the truth afterwards, unless you have already know someone  who already has the same kit or software, that is.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »

I think you just have poor throughput on your broadband, but that shouldn't be suprise in these days where everyone is in home and working from home. What is your speed test without QoS. Repeat your speed test couple of times with speedtest on different servers and post results.
How is connected your router to pc/laptop, wireless or wired?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:13:35 PM by mrk26 »

Blokie

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »

I don't think it's a throughput issue, as if I use Traitional QoS as opposed to Adaptive the bufferbloat reduces to almost nothing on both download and upload.

RT-The AX58U is a very new router, and I suspect some issues with the firmware (whether stock or Merlin related I don't know, as I don;t want to revert to stock to check!), in that Adaptive doesn't work at all and traditional works to a degree, but ignores max limits that you select.

I'm connected via Gigabit LAN by the way.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:17:17 PM by Blokie »

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »

I got rt-ax88u, and I was using Merlin 384.13 as it was best for me, I always use traditional QoS rather then adaptive and never had issues with it, bufferbloat minimal. Now I use latest Asus fw as I had issues with never Merlin builds, where on latest Asus build router working perfectly.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »

I'm getting poor bufferbloat performance (C rating (30ms idle, 60-130ms downloading, 30-210ms when uploading) on dslreports

That's your issue: DSLreports. Its using mainly US servers to measure bufferbloat. I'm getting similar results on all 3 of my FTTP lines. IMHO absolutely nothing to worry about.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »

That's your issue: DSLreports. Its using mainly US servers to measure bufferbloat. I'm getting similar results on all 3 of my FTTP lines. IMHO absolutely nothing to worry about.

Its usually pretty good, but less servers than usual seem to be available likely due to increased load.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Blokie

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »

If this was the case wouldn't I get similar results no matter what QoS I was (or wasn't) running?

Like I said above, if I turn on Traditional QoS the bufferbloat issues disappear to almost zero, whereas with Adaptive QoS or no QoS I get the same issue.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »

Agree with psychopomp1

anything